International Driving License with Thailand Driving License

Would someone please guide me how to get International Driving License Permit ? I have full Thailand Driving license for 5 years issued here in Pattaya. Looking to use same with International Driving Permit to rent car in London Heathrow ? Please let me know procedure, documents required , where to apply and get plus fees etc. Thanking in advance.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, John9 said:

Would someone please guide me how to get International Driving License Permit ? I have full Thailand Driving license for 5 years issued here in Pattaya. Looking to use same with International Driving Permit to rent car in London Heathrow ? Please let me know procedure, documents required , where to apply and get plus fees etc. Thanking in advance.

I read on another thread you must go to the DLT Chonburi city. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

You don't need one.  I have rented from Avis in the UK, including at LHR, with my Thai license only.  If you still want to try and get a IDP I believe you have to go to the Chonburi DLT, not Regent School.

As above...   I've read numerous times that UK rental companies will accept a Thai DL as there is bilateral agreement between the licensing authorities of both nations that an IDP is not necessary....

... That said - many seem to want to have an IDP as a 'just in case'... so it doesn't hurt, its simple and cheap enough to get one and may be useful when travelling elsewhere (the 1968 one is valid for 3 years)

Edited by richard_smith237

This is not in response to the OP (per se) but came up the other day when someone had asked where the IDP was available from in the UK because Post Office had stopped issuing them

Googling produces this so am assuming the local Premier Store issues them now !  Yeah I can just see the staff of (my) local store being capable of doing that !

Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 10-53-10 who issues international driving permit in uk now - Google Search.png

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

As above...   I've read numerous times that UK rental companies will accept a Thai DL as there is bilateral agreement between the licensing authorities of both nations that an IDP is not necessary....

... That said - many seem to want to have an IDP as a 'just in case'... so it doesn't hurt, its simple and cheap enough to get one and may be useful when travelling elsewhere (the 1968 one is valid for 3 years)

If you have an accident your insurance could be invalid if you don't have an IDP. Thailand requires one too but most people don't bother. Not worth the risk really as they are easily obtained. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

I drove 1 hour to Sisaket only to have it pointed out to me that my 5 year Thai license is in both Thai and English so I am going to give it a try in the US next month. I do still have a valid California license as a backup.

2 hours ago, claffey said:

If you have an accident your insurance could be invalid if you don't have an IDP. Thailand requires one too but most people don't bother. Not worth the risk really as they are easily obtained. 

I have yet to see an insurance that demands an IDP. They demands a valid driving license.

2 hours ago, claffey said:
3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I agree that they (IDP's) are easily obtained...  IF one is going back home to their own country regularly... Which theoretically, if a person is a tourist, they are....  Otherwise, anyone here for longer should have a Thai DL.

I only know one long termer who can't be bothered to get a Thai DL...  his UK DL has always worked well enough if the BiB stop him, I don't think he's had an accident here so I'm not sure what the insurance would do.

I recall having my first accident here...   (about 2002 time).... the BiB were happy with my 'Paper UK' driving licence.... (no one asked for an IDP)...   it was shortly after that I got a Thai DL.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

I did a quick search on the internet, I found the following information:

You will need to provide an International Driving Permit if your own driver's licence is not printed fully in English. In most those with a driver's licence issued from the USA, Canada, Australia or New Zealand do not require an IDP to be able to rent a car in the UK. However, keep in mind that some car rental companies may require one if you are planning to drive across the channel, crossing by either Le Shuttle or a ferry. Make sure to call and confirm this with your car rental provider.  

A United States citizen who normally resides in the United States and is visiting or temporarily residing in the United Kingdom may drive by virtue of his/her valid American license for a period of one year from the date of his/her last entry visa.

Again, found on the Internet, so take with a grain of salt..... you do not need to an IDP if you drive in the UK for visits up to 30 days. For visits longer than 30 days you need to have an International Drivers Permit under the 1949 Convention.  I do not know whether Thailand issues an International Drivers Permit under the 1949 Convention.  

Other posters have provided you where to obtain an International Drivers Permit which is Chonburi Department of Land Transport.  If I were you I would go and get an International Drivers Permit and be better safe than sorry.

I would not take any answer here as definitive and instead go to the UK Immigration website and search for the authoritative answer.

Edited by Rob3016
additional information

I don't know about Chonburi but for me, I have one and got few already before from Phuket DLT.

Easy to get as long as you have the 5 years Thai driving license:

- certificate of residence from the immigration office

- copy of your passport main page

- copy of Thai driving license

- you pay few hundreds bahts (can't how much exactly).

That's it.

I read in the DLT website and these are the main requirements. However, as usual, it can depends on local DLT offices.

I don't drive in Europe, US...for me it is mainly for Taiwan and Korea.

Posted (edited)

If your license is in english, then you don't need an IDP for almost every country that uses the latin alphabet.  You certainly don't need one anywhere in Europe.

Edited by Phillip9
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

If your license is in english, then you don't need an IDP for almost every country that uses the latin alphabet.  You certainly don't need one anywhere in Europe.

Edited by Phillip9

21 hours ago, claffey said:

As others have pointed out there is no risk in using a compliant overseas licence do drive in the UK for up to twelve months.

Like many other members l have never had an issue using my Thai licence to rent a car in the UK.

IMG_0497.png

An IDP is REQUIRED in many countries. It's got nothing to do with the ability to rent a car. It's about the law in the country you are visiting. If you are stopped, and don't have one if required, the fines are quite large. If in an accident and you don't have one when required, your insurance might be invalid.

It's a breeze to get one. I've gotten them in Chonburi and Bangkok. Just go to the Department of Land Transport.

Don't confuse an IDP with an International Driver's License. Getting an IDL online is a scam. It's not valid. I got an IDL a few years ago just to be able to rent a car in Italy. It worked, but the agent almost didn't accept it. It was a risk and luckily I wasn't stopped nor in an accident.

There are 3 types of IDP:  1926, 1949, and 1968  The IDP you need depends on what country you’re visiting.

• Agree 1

On 5/14/2024 at 5:04 AM, Phillip9 said:

Thats my understanding too....    there are bilateral agreements in place where the Thai License is accepted in the UK and a UK license accepted in Thailand, along with other licenses with the language in English.

It's also the reason why we can obtain a Thai Licence with a UK License without the need for an IDP.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, claffey said:

I also recall a thread here recently where Thai police in Pattaya were fining people 500 baht for no IDP. 

Yes... but the BiB in Pattaya don't exactly have the most honest image when it comes to targeting foreigners. 

Once they realise they can get away with it, they fill their boots with this level of extortion.

That said, as the IDP is simple enough to obtain, I'd advise a visitor to get one, just to strip these thieves of the fuel they need to attempt to rip you off...    they'll then have to move onto something else, riding while too pasty white... I even know of a guy who was charged because his number plate was too small (it was government standard, the BiB measured it and said it was 1mm too small and fined him on the spot - he paid instead of telling them to 'fet gucked' and issue a ticket instead).

24 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That said, as the IDP is simple enough to obtain, I'd advise a visitor to get one, just to strip these thieves of the fuel they need to attempt to rip you off..

Absolute nonsense. They are enforcing laws that would apply in your country. 

The number  of farang  that arrive in Thailand and jump on motorbike of all sizes and cruise past places such as soi 9 Pattaya or beach road end of Bangla Rd and expect no consequences.

They don't even have bike license from home country.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That said, as the IDP is simple enough to obtain, I'd advise a visitor to get one, just to strip these thieves of the fuel they need to attempt to rip you off..

Absolute nonsense. They are enforcing laws that would apply in your country. 

The number  of farang  that arrive in Thailand and jump on motorbike of all sizes and cruise past places such as soi 9 Pattaya or beach road end of Bangla Rd and expect no consequences.

They don't even have bike license from home country.

You've twisted your knickers there Jack...   the discussion is about 'Driving Licenses' and 'driving'....  nothing to do with riding a motorcycle....

That said, I also agree that many come to Thailand and ride on the overseas 'Driving' license and thats illegal.. but thats not the discussion.

While you brought it up... and as the discussion meanders and drifts... 

Is it ok to Ride a Motorcycle in the UK on a Thai Motorcycle License ?

Any category limitations ? (as there is only one Thai Motorcycle licence compared to numerous categories in the UK).

Edited by richard_smith237

Is it ok to Ride a Motorcycle in the UK on a Thai Motorcycle License ?

You're admitting you don't know something?

wow!!!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You've twisted your knickers there Jack...   the discussion is about 'Driving Licenses' and 'driving'....  nothing to do with riding a motorcycle....

That said, I also agree that many come to Thailand and ride on the overseas 'Driving' license and thats illegal.. but thats not the discussion.

Have you ever looked at a Thai Motorcycle Licence.  It is called a "Motorcycle Driving Licence"

In the US a licence good for motorcycles is also called a Driver Licence (spelled License in the US) but must have the motorcycle endorsement.

4 hours ago, Smokin Joe said:

Have you ever looked at a Thai Motorcycle Licence.  It is called a "Motorcycle Driving Licence"

In the US a licence good for motorcycles is also called a Driver Licence (spelled License in the US) but must have the motorcycle endorsement.

Let me help you..      

The thread is clearly about a 'Driving licence' in reference to driving a car - Was the use of the word car numerous times  not enough of a give away for you...   ?

On 5/13/2024 at 12:25 PM, John9 said:

Driving Permit to rent car in London Heathrow

On 5/13/2024 at 12:30 PM, Upnotover said:

I have rented from Avis in the UK,

On 5/13/2024 at 12:49 PM, JBChiangRai said:

I always use my Thai 5 year licence to rent cars in the UK.

On 5/14/2024 at 11:19 AM, theoldgit said:

Like many other members l have never had an issue using my Thai licence to rent a car in the UK.

3 hours ago, Smokin Joe said:

And stop using the term bilateral if you don't know what it means.

Don't worry, he thinks he knows everything.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Then stop posting <deleted>...

You don't think Thailand has 'bilateral agreements' with other nations regarding acceptance of driving licenses ?

They don't. All those treaties are multilateral. A bilateral treaty involves TWO countries. ASEAN Treaty (10 countries), 1949 Geneva Treaty (102 Countries), 1968 Vienna Treaty (89 Countries)

The Double Tax Agreement (DTA) Thailand has with the UK is an example of a bilateral agreement.

A poorly worded translation of the law does not change the meaning of the word bilateral.

"A bilateral treaty is a treaty strictly between two state entities. It is an agreement made by negotiations between two parties"