Buckle up, Bangkok: Thai official floats capital relocation amid rising sea

snoop1130

I live  three hundred meters from Khlong Song. I have my opinions about climate change and sea level rising but that is neither here nor there. Here is my personal experience. This is the area where my front porch meets the brickwork that extends to the ground. I patched this and painted in January 2024 and this is what it looks like today. I believe the house is stable otherwise I would be seeing fractures appearing in the walls. This has been happening IMG_1436.thumb.jpeg.7989c7cf528b979f0ede42cb855a032f.jpegevery year since the house was built thirteen years ago and happens just before the rains start.  My guess is the whole area is subsiding due to the pumping out of ground water

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Rising seas or sinking into the swamp city .... 

The weight of all the buildings, and the pumping of ground water is the cause, not rising seas ... IMHO.   Google the World Econonic Forum's vid "Bangkok is sinking under the weight of its own skyscrapers"

As I'm not allowed to post FB vids, but a few snapshots from the vid.

image.png.11f8e2bfa97dae2b91e1f29851c2c71e.png

image.png.0c06624b27eca135c912c544c2179460.png

image.png.a4996896ec8d34e336e2e194a8a7967c.png

image.png.4244c377706c5ee00afaf94de48c8bf0.png

And who's fault is it ... NOT CLIMATE CHANGE...IMHO & OTHERS THAT CONTROL ALL THINGS

image.png.ec4855182c5e2d377377ad283ed37f4d.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

No need to move Bangkok....

Just open up more floating markets....

0a1e0b73-e4f0-49d5-b69a-15e9d48cde86.jpg

Rising sea level will actually benefit Bangkok's economy....

Tourists love floating markets.

And, I would like to see more floating-market tourists like.....

THIS one....

image.png.2b3abd20468b30daf18115e01b894e9b.png

There is always a silver lining to every rain cloud....

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Confused 2

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Discussions are underway to explore potential adaptation measures, including the construction of dikes similar to those in the Netherlands.

Dikes keep sea water out... they do not prevent rainfall from flooding areas or underground water rising, within the dikes.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

this would only happen if the senior politicians du jour will be making a tidy profit from the move.

They'll talk about, make several committees look into it, do nothing and contend with flooding for the next 50 years

3 hours ago, PuiPuiHarry said:

When the Netherlands can keep a part of a city, 6 mtr below sea level called Alexanderpolder and part of Rotterdam, dry, Thailand cannot keep a city dry just 1 mtr below sea level ?  About 1/3 of Netherlands lies below sea level, with the lowest point being 22 feet (6.7 meters) below sea level. 

But how can you even compare Thailand to Holland? :cheesy:

• Agree 1

plenty of so called experts have had to retract their doom and gloom predictions on climate change and especially the misinformation about places being underwater in the future. Even the "great doomberg" has had to swallow her words.   Yet the climate change disciples continue to attempt to spread fear

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, shackleton said:

This is many light years away and like all long term decisions made in Thailand most of us be will long gone when this happens 

Live your live and don't worry 😉 be happy 

Sorry to have to inform you , but a light year is a measure of distance not a measure of time,

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Klong Song said:

I live  three hundred meters from Khlong Song. I have my opinions about climate change and sea level rising but that is neither here nor there. Here is my personal experience. This is the area where my front porch meets the brickwork that extends to the ground. I patched this and painted in January 2024 and this is what it looks like today. I believe the house is stable otherwise I would be seeing fractures appearing in the walls. This has been happening IMG_1436.thumb.jpeg.7989c7cf528b979f0ede42cb855a032f.jpegevery year since the house was built thirteen years ago and happens just before the rains start.  My guess is the whole area is subsiding due to the pumping out of ground water

I see that the ground slopes but not the foundations, so it seems from the photos that the soil you added is stabilizing, in other words it is descending.

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A senior Thai official yesterday raised the alarming possibility that Thailand may need to consider relocating its capital city Bangkok due to the threat posed by rising sea levels caused by climate change.

:cheesy:

Bangkok is sinking, as most of us probably know, due to too much ground water being extracted. Nothing to do with the "rising sea level" BS.

Perhaps he's being paid by the contractors that want to mint it from building a new capital.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Wow, thermodynamics, that sounds impressive. You must be one of those supersmart guys.

Did you buy already property on a high mountain to escape the flooding? 

Damn sure I won't be buying in coastal areas.

While Bangkok may be sinking due to groundwater extraction, the fact remains the city is only 1 metre above sea level, sitting on Thailand's biggest river.

There will always be people out there who are smarter than me. From what you have posted, you are not one of them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Damn sure I won't be buying in coastal areas.

While Bangkok may be sinking due to groundwater extraction, the fact remains the city is only 1 metre above sea level, sitting on Thailand's biggest river.

There will always be people out there who are smarter than me. From what you have posted, you are not one of them.

To stop the river flooding Bkk they need to build river walls and pumping stations ( which they have been doing for decades ) not to build a new city. If they do it'll be more about money made than because of BS about rising sea levels.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, BritScot said:

Really! How many climate predictions have been massively wrong? 20, 30, 40++. Great lakes dry~ highest levels on record, no ice caps ~ ice cap growth, polar bear extinction ~ growth in population so much so they are breading with brown bears.... oh let's not talk about islands underwater, London under water, miami coastline underwater, that's the area certain cult members have multi million dollar beach front property! Anyone feeling stupid yet?

Exactly, it is all a big money making con. Look at Al Gore's predictions. By now, according to Him there are no ice caps, sea levels should have risen so that London is under a couple metres of water. All this bulls**t is purely to drive up taxes, control peoples travel. You only have to look at the news weather reports in Europe, everywhere it is hot and sunny they now put the equivalent of a volcano sign trying to say it is unprecedented, yet many years ago all they said was high temperatures this summer. Still, there will be sheeple falling for it, probably the same sheeple that are just off to have their 25th. covidiocy clot shot booster.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 10:15 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

To stop the river flooding Bkk they need to build river walls and pumping stations ( which they have been doing for decades ) not to build a new city. If they do it'll be more about money made than because of BS about rising sea levels.

I am done with trying to explain the thermodynamics of global warming and climate change...

8 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Bangkok is sinking slowly. Same as Jakarta and many other places. Are sea levels really rising? Maybe the Thai government want to move the capital for other reasons?

Yes there is plenty of factual and scientific evidence that the sea levels are rising.

https://science.nasa.gov/earth/climate-change/cant-see-sea-level-rise-youre-looking-in-the-wrong-place/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pesche said:

Oh, now there is even a "Deputy Director-General of Thailand’s Department of Climate Change" while there is NO climate change 😁

The climate is constantly changing, in cycles. So stop these politically induced misleading news!

Sea levels are rising? Oh well yes! Of course! Since the beginning! When there is high tide!! 🤣

It just needs simple logic and common sense to understand that it is not the rising sea the reason of the problem and definitely NOT "climate change"!!!

Reason number one is that Bangkok is sinking! It was and is built on the delta of the Chao Phraya River.

It is built on fluvial muddy soft sediments - not on solid rock!

Reason number two is that the delta is in reality a swamp area!

i.e. Suvarnabhumi Airport in Samut Prakan which is not only a swamp but also below sea level!!

Reason number three due to poor planing and enormous consumption, the Groundwater level is also lowering dramatically! This accelerates the sinking process of the entire city...

Reason number four is that the frequent inundations are caused because of the unscrupulous deforestation of tropical forests!!

The unscrupulous deforestation of the tropical forests is the major reason of floodings in all Thailand!

So please, again:

PUT POLITICIANS AT THE RIGHT PLACE WHERE THEY HAVE KNOWLEDGE AND COMPETENCE - This is actually a global problem in nearly every Country.

You set out a carefully planned argument, which may impress some, but there are several major flaws in your knowledge.

1  There is no logic behind your bold print for "When there is a high tide". There is no sensible connection between high tides which occur twice daily, and rising mean sea levels.

2  Yes your reason number one is almost correct, but Bangkok is not "built on the delta of the Chao Prayah River. There is no delta, which requires the river to separate into many small branches, as in the Nile or the Mekong. The Chao Prayah River simply has a flood plain, but then it is not necessary for capital cities to be built "on solid rock". Many, including London, are not built on rock.

3  Your reason number two is confused. As I have stated, the Chao Prayah River is a flood plain, not a swamp. The levels of the major paved areas at Suvarnabhumi, from memory, are at about 4 m MSL, which is well above sea level.

4  The reason that the Chao Prayah River has a flood plain is because it floods, and has been flooding for millions of years, long before humans walked on the earth and certainly long before Bangkok was chosen. Flood plains create fertile land, so look around the planet and you will find many large cities built on flood plains, which are now at risk. As you have noted sea levels have been changing in cycles for millions of years, but for most of that time there were no humans and no major cities. Just because the changes in sea level have been happening before does not mean that they cannot be accelerated by human intervention. We are not really cocerned about sea levels prior to the emergence of humans, and then the discovery of fire and finally the industrial revolution. Despite youyr scepticism these can be shown to have to have accelerated the changes in sea level.

5  Your information that "the Groundwater level is also lowering dramatically!" is also fake news. There is reliable information in a paper by Giao et al (2013) that a reversal of the falling groundwater levels started in 1997 and continued for at least 15 years, with a rise in that time of over 10 m at 6 monitoring stations.

6  Based on statements I have made above, your reason number four would also appear to be without factual basis. The flooding of the Chao Prayah River basin has been going on for millions of years, and is nothing to do with deforestation.

Perhaps, along with the politicians, you should also put yourself "in the right place where you have knowledge and competence"? Would you ike to suggest where that might be?

5 hours ago, PuiPuiHarry said:

When the Netherlands can keep a part of a city, 6 mtr below sea level called Alexanderpolder and part of Rotterdam, dry, Thailand cannot keep a city dry just 1 mtr below sea level ?  About 1/3 of Netherlands lies below sea level, with the lowest point being 22 feet (6.7 meters) below sea level. 

I blame the Dykes ! 

• Thanks 1

Think of the possibilities..  like Khon Kaen ,, 

there is a nearby international aiport ...  and it's right in the middle of bumbf*** nowhere

that will cut down on all the  Hi-So$$$  wanna be politicians .  and the protesters ...

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Pesche said:

Reason number one is that Bangkok is sinking!

Shock and dismay!

"Bangkok Could Be Submerged In 15 Years," July 27, 2015

huahinntoday

• The situation is urgent, and the government may even have to consider relocating Bangkok, said Mr Withaya. It should work on a long-term plan, and devise additional laws to protect Bangkok from going underwater, he said, adding that specific agencies should be assigned to implement the measures. 

Nine years later under PM Prayut - nothing. And still now no different of a government. Not everyone has a foreign villa they can escape to from Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

It is always fun to read people making stuff up instead of simply looking at long-term scientific data. 100 years of temperature rise is not simply "well, it's summer, duh." It has been tracked and studied over 100 years.

Down To Earth Climate Change - Resources

The sea level is up because the tide is in? Well, that has been measured over 100 years also.

None of this is opinion, these are charts only.

Sea level rise - Wikipedia

Edited by Purdey
  • Agree 2