Chiang Mai police invoke 10pm curfew after samurai gang rampage

2 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Are they all Burmese or Thai Burmese, because if they are Burmese nationals they can be sent back over the border.

Became intrigued how Thai law works when I read:

The police intended to visit each residence of the teenage members for questioning and to arrest those found guilty.

No court proceedings needed?

Translation problem. It should read "suspected of being guilty". Of course they need to go to court.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Are they all Burmese or Thai Burmese, because if they are Burmese nationals they can be sent back over the border.

Became intrigued how Thai law works when I read:

The police intended to visit each residence of the teenage members for questioning and to arrest those found guilty.

No court proceedings needed?

I believe that they are Burmese of  origin, with the right to reside in Thailand , but without Burmese I.D , so they cannot be deported  .

Probably Shan or Tai-Yai people 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Chiang Mai Provincial Police officers imposed a 10pm curfew on locals under 18 years old following a deadly rampage by a criminal gang armed with samurai swords.

The commander of the Provincial Police Region 5, Krittapon Yi-sakhon, revealed to the MumKhao news platform that a group of men, mostly teenage Burmese nationals, repeatedly caused chaos, committed theft, fatally attacked, and harassed both locals and tourists in Chiang Mai since January.

Krittapon announced that officers had planned a crackdown, intending to visit each residence of the teenage members for questioning and to arrest those found guilty. In addition to these proactive operations, officers would also implement a 10pm curfew starting from May 3 onwards.

Individuals under 18 years old are prohibited from leaving their residences without a parent or guardian after 10pm, both for their safety and to deter them from gathering to commit crimes.

Locals in the area praised the police operation, expressing relief as repeated crimes had instilled fear. The gang’s random attacks, even targeting innocent people without provocation, had caused considerable concern among residents.

One major incident occurred on May 1 when the samurai sword gang attacked and killed an innocent Thai man. The deceased’s friends recounted that the gang followed them while they were riding a motorcycle home in the early hours of that day.

The gang then threw a ping pong bomb at their motorcycle, causing a friend to lose control of the vehicle. After the crash, the gang rushed to attack his friend with their samurai swords before fleeing the scene.

The man’s friends insisted that they had never experienced any conflict with the gang or anyone else. The deceased’s mother affirmed that her son was a good person who had relocated to work in Chiang Mai’s city centre to support his siblings’ education.

by Petch Petpailin

Photo via Facebook/ เชียงใหม่ CM108 ข่าวเชียงใหม่ จังหวัดเชียงใหม่

Source: The Thaiger 2024-05-17

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Maybe can also close all these open air "music" and karaoke places for a while that make normal people want o go on a rampage with/ without swords.....................last plague the curfew was soothing for the soul.....................

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Everyone's blames here - youth, foreigners gangs - no explanation of verification, jut nape-of-the-neck reaction from the police (who don't seem very upset,BTW). Just a public display of incompetence.

1 minute ago, kwilco said:

Everyone's blames here - youth, foreigners gangs - no explanation of verification, jut nape-of-the-neck reaction from the police (who don't seem very upset,BTW). Just a public display of incompetence.

There is a gang of young thugs terrorising the local population and the Police have taken action to prevent any future acts of violence from the gang .

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

There is a gang of young thugs terrorising the local population and the Police have taken action to prevent any future acts of violence from the gang .

I think you mean EVENTUALLY taken action to prevent …..

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wensiensheng said:

I think you mean EVENTUALLY taken action to prevent …..

I didn't meant that, no .

The Police may have taken other measures to prevent the thugs and this is the last resort 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, kwilco said:

The police are not supposed to get "upset"  They are expected to remain "professional" when carrying out their duties, emotion should not come into it 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, newbee2022 said:

It would also a good idea to catch the gang, disarm them and send them for a time into prison. What do you think about this idea?

🙏

Whoa!

Steady on!

Thats called lateral thinking

Edited by hellohello123

27 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

I didn't meant that, no .

The Police may have taken other measures to prevent the thugs and this is the last resort 

If this is the last resort, I wonder what the first resort was? "Please boys, stop doing that or we'll tell your Dads"?