CVT Explained.....

5 minutes ago, brianthainess said:
18 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

So mister know it all what cars had the steel belt system in the late 50s.

So you can't answer that but I'm sure you'll find some BS.

CVT has been used in production cars since the late 50s, that is what I said in response to your reference of "CVT being around at least 10 years".   Now you're throwing "steel belts" into the discussion after the fact!

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2024 at 8:17 AM, transam said:

I recall a bloke here test-driving a CVT car, he said he didn't like it keep changing gear, so he bought the same car but manual.......🤔

I told him a CVT does not change gear, I think the car he tested may have had an AMT (automatic manual transmission), yes they are made..

Some CVTs fake the sensation of gears. I know the Honda Civic had such a feature for example. It would just clumb through the revs and then jump back down for no mechanical reason just so it sounds and feels like a real gear shift.

Some people might also mistake a CVT shifting gears because especially with lower torque ones they tend to jump to higher revs if you want to accelerate as they need the revs to make any kind of power and then quickly rev down again to get into a more efficient RPM range. That jump up could be mistaken for a down-shift and conversely the jump down in revs could be mistake for an up-shift.

Edited by eisfeld

Just now, eisfeld said:

Some CVTs fake the sensation of gears. I know the Honda Civic had such a feature for example. It would just clumb through the revs and then jump back down for no mechanical reason just so it sounds and feels like a real gear shift.

Some people might also mistake a CVT shifting gears because especially with lower torque ones they tend to jump to higher revs if you want to accelerate as they need the revs to make any kind of power and then quickly rev down again to get into a more efficient RPM range.

I cannot comment on that, as our run-around with CVT doesn't do any of that, though the sport-mode does alter things when engaged...

Subaru does a CVT version, so I imagine they have sorted stuff to suit their ride..😋

Our lad has a Mazda, he said it has a CVT, when I went out in it, I said this is not a CVT, it's an auto, I noticed the gear change ......🤗

1 minute ago, transam said:

Our lad has a Mazda, he said it has a CVT, when I went out in it, I said this is not a CVT, it's an auto, I noticed the gear change ......🤗

Should be obvious to see because automatic transmissions will show the currently selected gear somewhere in the dash while a CVT doesn't. ATs usually also have a manual mode.

• Confused 1

Just now, eisfeld said:

Should be obvious to see because automatic transmissions will show the currently selected gear somewhere in the dash while a CVT doesn't. ATs usually also have a manual mode.

Never noticed any of that in the Mazda, but I wasn't driving...😋

Posted (edited)

Prehistoric stuff, don't need all this junk in an EV. Good all DC series motor delivers a constant torque. Only problem to solve is to deliver the the high Amps DC current.

Edited by Ben Zioner
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Prehistoric stuff, don't need all this junk in an EV.

Sunbeam, at this very moment there are millions of cars out there with a CVT transmission, the thread is for those who want to understand how they work.

You should then stay clear of threads referring to 'your' type of junk.........🙄

PS. Talking of junk, if or when your car drive battery becomes dead, your whole car is junk........😂

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Some people might also mistake a CVT shifting gears because especially with lower torque ones they tend to jump to higher revs if you want to accelerate as they need the revs to make any kind of power and then quickly rev down again to get into a more efficient RPM range. That jump up could be mistaken for a down-shift and conversely the jump down in revs could be mistake for an up-shift.

My HR-V has flappy paddles that fake gear changes. Ridiculous.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

No, I researched his car, his year had an auto, later have CVT.......🤗

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

CVT has been used in production cars since the late 50s, that is what I said in response to your reference of "CVT being around at least 10 years".   Now you're throwing "steel belts" into the discussion after the fact!

Trolling again.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, petermik said:

The "happy to have" Chinese MG owners perhaps trans.....:wai:

Wasn't this one, as just saw thread for 1st time, a day + late.  Have to agree with 'G' ... KISS, and best to avoid something with so  many  parts to malfunction.

Dinosaur tech for dinosaur engine using dinosaur fuel.  Invented 1879, mass produced 1958 😲  No wonder ICEV are so inefficient and expensive to maintain & operate.

In another decade, they'll be saying the same about EV, with their magnetic propulsion flying vehicles. 

image.png.c437f2f6aaf9306615ea5173941a3aab.png

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, eisfeld said:

I have 2 CVT and both show what is currently selected on the dash, I have never seen an ATs presuming you mean auto, that has a manual mode. 

13 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I have 2 CVT and both show what is currently selected on the dash, I have never seen an ATs presuming you mean auto, that has a manual mode. 

Most ATs have a manual mode. My XC40 has an 8-speed auto with manual selection. My previous car had a 6-speed auto with manual selection. Probably 90% of auto cars I have driven have some sort of manual selection.

• Like 2

In the mid 70's my uncle had his own vehicle repair business, great mechanic! He went to an auction and bought about 12 ex Norwegian army snowmobiles in various states, big load of spares - a job lot, these were huge heavy machines, not like the modern-day snowmobiles. So these were all CVT. He quite quickly got 3 or 4 of them fully operational, what fun we had in the local hills in wintertime, awesome power and smooth drive. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The cvt in out city turbo works fine. It has fake shifts to mimic a normal auto. So it wont whine at high rpm when you floor it. My wife also has a suzuki swift cvt that has that typical whine. Just push up to 4-5K and back off. Don't do that too much though. Don't do that often though as its modified - intake, exhaust, remap. and very loud at high rpm. But my son still prefers the city. 

2 minutes ago, DavisH said:

The cvt in out city turbo works fine. It has fake shifts to mimic a normal auto. So it wont whine at high rpm when you floor it. My wife also has a suzuki swift cvt that has that typical whine. Just push up to 4-5K and back off. Don't do that too much though. Don't do that often though as its modified - intake, exhaust, remap. and very loud at high rpm. But my son still prefers the city. 

I am surprised the Swift has a CVT whine, I believe Mrs.T's Celerio has the same CVT, it has no whine at all.

About 5 years back we looked at a s/h Mirage, now that had a horrible whine, we walked......😝

15 minutes ago, transam said:

I am surprised the Swift has a CVT whine, I believe Mrs.T's Celerio has the same CVT, it has no whine at all.

About 5 years back we looked at a s/h Mirage, now that had a horrible whine, we walked......😝

Only when you hold the throttle down and at 5krpm. maybe whine isn't the appropriate word. It just hangs there on 5k. I prefer to accelerate it up to a good speed then ease off. My son took the city from my wife. he prefers it as he like to drive fast (and its faster than the swift, no surprises there). No my wife drives the swift 😄

On 5/18/2024 at 11:54 AM, josephbloggs said:

Anyway thanks for sharing something informative. Wondering though why they say CVTs can be found in SUVs and show a picture of an EX30 which obviously doesn't have one. And then they say they are found in Subaru WRX's. Anyone who buys a WRX and specs a CVT deserves to be shot.  As a previous WRX owner that thought is horrifying. Manual or nothing.

I have a Honda HR-V with a CVT and I hate it. The technology is good, but the experience is awful.  Soulless. Droning. Boring.

Yeh, but, you are old school and need a stick and a clutch pedal to keep you entertained.......:intheclub:................🤭