Latest developments and discussion of recent events in the Ukraine War

8 hours ago, Mavideol said:

he does need more of meat feeder for the canons, since the Indians decided to leave, any race is welcome, the fatter the better 555

'First Step To World War': Ukraine Claims North Korea Is Looking To Send 10,000 Troops To Help Putin

https://au.yahoo.com/news/first-steps-world-war-ukraine-142407964.html

Well, it is OK when beloved friends help each other! Native Russian speakers in Yakutia or Buryatia look exactly the same as people from Democratic Korea. Therefore, they will feel comfortable in Vladimir Putin's army.

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

Opinion - Russian ‘milblogger’ worries about a pro-Ukrainian fifth column

https://au.yahoo.com/news/opinion-russian-milblogger-worries-pro-170000288.html

"Aside from the fact that the list is effectively a how-to guide telling the Russian opposition what they should do to fight Putin’s regime,..."
Yes! This is the most interesting part. This military blogger also liked to tell the public about the exact location of Russian troops and their movements. Of course, he was naive enough to simply not know what would follow. It took Putin two years to stop allowing such people into combat zones.

• Haha 1

Given that in 2023 the UK spent 4.3 billion pounds on asylum seekers and that the Ukrainian armed forces are short of manpower it would be useful to both the UK and Ukraine if all the asylum seekers were sent to fight for Kiev.  Talk about kill two birds with one stone !  For those that serve an insentive could be given. Full pay ( they want to work don't they ) plus a bonus that they can take back home with them when the war is over. Win win .

My point is that in the event of a cut in funding from the USA Ukraine should not be abandoned to its fate for want of cash. Billions are being spent all over Europe dealing with asylum claimants. Why should'nt they fight for the right to remain in Europe. ?

17 minutes ago, Denim said:

Given that in 2023 the UK spent 4.3 billion pounds on asylum seekers and that the Ukrainian armed forces are short of manpower it would be useful to both the UK and Ukraine if all the asylum seekers were sent to fight for Kiev.  Talk about kill two birds with one stone !  For those that serve an insentive could be given. Full pay ( they want to work don't they ) plus a bonus that they can take back home with them when the war is over. Win win .

My point is that in the event of a cut in funding from the USA Ukraine should not be abandoned to its fate for want of cash. Billions are being spent all over Europe dealing with asylum claimants. Why should'nt they fight for the right to remain in Europe. ?

You probably have some kind of profession. How do you feel about newbies with zero experience in your profession? They are a burden, aren't they? It's the same with volunteers without combat experience. A military career is very similar to any other. People without experience are a burden there - any military man will tell you that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zmisha said:

You probably have some kind of profession. How do you feel about newbies with zero experience in your profession? They are a burden, aren't they? It's the same with volunteers without combat experience. A military career is very similar to any other. People without experience are a burden there - any military man will tell you that.

A modern military is 90% about logistics.

Warehousing, transports, driving, inventory management, personnel management, intendance, supplies, food, medical .... a large majority of military jobs are not combat roles.

I also do believe that a deal should be struck with potential recruits - their family gets well cared for while they serve in the military - with an appropriate compensation that covers their family's future in case of their injury or death.

Form reserve bataillons, train them for 6 months and then assign them as reserve/training units to existing fighting units so they can at first fill support roles and learn the ropes and replace losses.

2 hours ago, zmisha said:

True indeed. But their is thing called training these days. 6 weeks drilling , first aid,weapons and tactics. All armies have this. Even Ukrainian troops were sent to the UK for combat training.

I'm not really a George Will kind of guy, but I think he's correct that World War 3 has already started and that the west isn't facing up to that reality (but the axis of autocracy is).

He points out something interesting.

As World War 3 is the most important thing happening on the planet now, why is foreign policy such a back burner issue in the US presidential campaign for both candidates (which he contrasts to the 1940 US election).

I guess the reason is probably the American people don't want to hear about it.

It's kind of like the cliche about politics taken to war -- you may not be interested in war but war is interested in you.

He makes a good point, but I have some hope at least that Harris not being a Putin loving isolationist is the much better choice to step up to the plate when facing the issue becomes a necessity.

Note the opinion piece by George Will was recently published in the Washington Post but behind a paywall so I won't link to it but I have given my source that I'm reacting to. 

It is titled:

World War III is already under way. Not that Harris or Trump has noticed.

A new axis is sowing global disorder. The U.S. presidential campaign is what reckless disregard looks like.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Denim said:

4 hours ago, tgw said:

A modern military is 90% about logistics.

Warehousing, transports, driving, inventory management, personnel management, intendance, supplies, food, medical .... a large majority of military jobs are not combat roles.

I also do believe that a deal should be struck with potential recruits - their family gets well cared for while they serve in the military - with an appropriate compensation that covers their family's future in case of their injury or death.

Form reserve bataillons, train them for 6 months and then assign them as reserve/training units to existing fighting units so they can at first fill support roles and learn the ropes and replace losses.

Seems like the Hope strategy is being replaced by the Desperation strategy.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Actually, there’s no evidence of NK troops. Even Mark Rutte said as much. It’s just western propaganda.

Why is NK and Moscow media showing  NK troops  being  deployed in Russia  then ,, The  Western media are only taking the feeds from the NK and Moscow media ........

• Like 1