When to retire in Thailand: A guide to your dream retirement

On 5/22/2024 at 8:04 AM, CharlieH said:

This arrangement necessitates a notable financial investment in a Thai banking institution and comprehensive health insurance coverage among other requirements.

3 years on retirement visa and I have never been asked about insurance by anyone!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/23/2024 at 9:17 AM, CanadaSam said:

3 years on retirement visa and I have never been asked about insurance by anyone!

You have a Non-Imm O visa?  As far as I know, the requirement is only for Non-Imm OA retirement visas (and extensions). 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, JTXR said:

Sorry if it's a smart-ass comment, but I honestly believe the time to retire to Thailand is 1995.

A bit late but better late than never.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JTXR said:

As far as I know, the requirement is only for Non-Imm OA retirement visas (and extensions). 

Yes, I have a retirement visa (and many extensions).  It's strange to never have been asked.  Perhaps I look very rich 🤣

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I couldn't advise anyone to retire to Thailand, they hate foreigners and will jail/fine/deport a foreigner for a trivial offence that won't cost a Thai 500bht and an apology. While Thais can gang up to stab and beat us at anything that makes them a little angry ..... And they all have very short fuses.

Try changing your dress code..........😬

• Haha 2

On 5/23/2024 at 2:25 AM, mania said:

Hopefully your conscious when they do ask for it 😉 

He didn't say he never had, merely that he'd not been asked.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I couldn't advise anyone to retire to Thailand, they hate foreigners and will jail/fine/deport a foreigner for a trivial offence that won't cost a Thai 500bht and an apology. While Thais can gang up to stab and beat us at anything that makes them a little angry ..... And they all have very short fuses.

Come on , don't hold back.  Say what you really think of the locals . No need to walk on eggs.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
On 5/25/2024 at 8:42 AM, JTXR said:

You have a Non-Imm O visa?  As far as I know, the requirement is only for Non-Imm OA retirement visas (and extensions). 

LTR also has requirement for insurance coverage.  WIth the costs of hospitalization here, and stories of tourists/expats having accidents  or health needs and no coverage, made  the govt to consider a 300 baht tax on every tourist coming in but that was droped...now it is back in the news but not so that it will be an insurance coverage for tourist but add to the govt coffers suffering from a lack of funds.  If one wants to stay without any insurance or fallback plan with a large banking account, I think some here are tired of the "go fund me" requests from hospitalized folks or for sending the body home or local funeral costs.  My opinion anyway.

• Thanks 1

Being sought after as a "tax target" to pay for a debt that foriengers didn't create or have anything to do with is anoying.

One can't really make roots in Thailand as foriengers are in a state of continuous "tax limbo" as the government schemes of ways to dig deeper into their "guests" pockets. 

Franky, the juice isn't worth the squeeze anymore.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dakhar said:

Being sought after as a "tax target" to pay for a debt that foriengers didn't create or have anything to do with is anoying.

One can't really make roots in Thailand as foriengers are in a state of continuous "tax limbo" as the government schemes of ways to dig deeper into their "guests" pockets. 

Franky, the juice isn't worth the squeeze anymore.

Don't listen to all the noise, just keep enjoying your life and play deaf to the noise.

When the noise gets loud and has your attention, i.e. it's become annoying as you mentioned above in your post, just look for ways around it, and to be honest, it really isn't that bad with all the deductibles they give you.

But I agree with your points.

On 5/23/2024 at 9:17 AM, CanadaSam said:

only required if you started with an O-A visa, O does not require it