Thailand Sees Surge in Mid-Year School Dropouts

webfact

image.jpeg

Thailand's Education Minister, Police General Permpoon Chidchob, has raised concerns over an alarming increase in students leaving school mid-year. Announcing new data yesterday, he revealed that approximately 20,000 students have dropped out this year, significantly impacting the country's educational landscape.

This troubling trend was highlighted during a meeting with top executives from the Ministry of Education and other officials. The Institute for the Promotion of Teaching Science and Technology (IPST) shared updates on improvements implemented by the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA). These changes focus on enhancing courses, media, learning management models, and assessment tools, aimed at fostering critical thinking and problem-solving skills among students.

Despite these efforts, the results have not met expectations. The IPST has organised a training course on PISA online testing for 21,985 officers across various educational bodies.

These include the Office of the Basic Education Commission (OBEC), the Office of Private Education Commission (OPEC), the Vocational Education Commission (VEC), the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA), the Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation Ministry, and the Department of Local Administration.

The majority of the dropouts, as reported by the Department of Learning Encouragement (DOLE), cited personal reasons and poor economic conditions as primary factors. Minister Permpoon has set a target to reverse this trend by the end of the month, with multiple agencies working tirelessly to address the issue.

In related news, Thailand's unemployment rate has surged, with 410,000 people out of work in the first quarter of the year, according to the National Statistical Office. The hardest-hit group comprises those with higher education degrees, adding another layer of complexity to the current educational and economic challenges facing the country.

As efforts continue, Minister Permpoon remains optimistic, hoping to see a decrease in school dropouts by June 10. The nation's focus now rests on ensuring that these initiatives lead to tangible improvements in student retention.

TOP Picture courtesy: Thai Rath

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-24

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

when thailand tried to reform the education system a few years ago the MOE's brainchild was to have activity time in the afternoon. however, the school's solutions were to have teachers come up with "fun" activities. great idea as in itself, but the schools never allocated a budget for the teachers to put together said activities and what happened was nothing. there is no way to get any results other than to thank the old guard for their service and hire people who know what they are doing. unfortunately, that would mean putting foreigners in positions reserved for thais. as long as teaching is seen as a career not worth rewarding the results will never change. PTT pays top dollar for engineers in the petroleum industry but society forgets who actually prepares these future engineers' education. isnt it funny how teachers are always at the bottom of the barrel salary wise? 

international schools pay the best salaries at around 120 000bht a month for teachers hired at job fairs abroad and around 60-80 k for the same qualified locally hired foreigners in the good international schools. 120k is what I would be earning back home as a starting salary in a government school back home with benefits and a pension fund. food for thought...

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

In related news, Thailand's unemployment rate has surged, with 410,000 people out of work in the first quarter of the year, according to the National Statistical Office.

Pure BS

3 hours ago, Surasak said:

PERHAPS! They all realised they were getting nowhere with their education, and decided there was no point carrying on?

Coupled to the cost to parents that can no longer afford it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

well i met a Uni gal last week that said she needed 15k for dorm rent and tuition......since she had no collateral for said amount she has since disappeared off TF app and stop chatting to me on LINE.....perhaps this is why....if the story was true.......

she seemed worried when i offered to pay the apt and Uni directly instead of just handed over 15k to her....lol

even wonder  if she actually stayed in the apt she claimed was hers as she just seemed to linger in the lobby...we took a motorbike ride as she texted the whole time and when i dropped her off another dude was there waiting.....next in cue!

but of course HE was just a friend...i said great...you can ask your FRIEND for the 15k and drove off.......love in the LOS!!!!

makes me wonder how they join UNI and seem to give no thought on how to pay rent and tuition--future is not a thai word

she also offered to teach me thai--cook or clean my studio......i said i could have a live in for less $$....why not just get a JOB?

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand's Education Minister, Police General Permpoon Chidchob, has raised concerns over an alarming increase in students leaving school mid-year. Announcing new data yesterday, he revealed that approximately 20,000 students have dropped out this year, significantly impacting the country's educational landscape.

Mmmmm?????????? Mid-year in the 2nd week of the new school year.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The majority of the dropouts, as reported by the Department of Learning Encouragement (DOLE), cited personal reasons and poor economic conditions as primary factors.

Why keep the kids in school when they could be out earning money to help their parents?  There is only now.

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Pure BS

Yes, it is, as they have no control and possibility to count that, due to all that not register employed people. There are millions working without employment, and if they could check it would then be millions that would come up as unemployed.

• Like 1

If people don't have the money to send there children to school and the children don't have any incentive to continue learning,eg if you finish year 12 and can understand English you can get a good job,why should they. 

On 5/24/2024 at 6:23 PM, Gottfrid said:

Yes, it is, as they have no control and possibility to count that, due to all that not register employed people. There are millions working without employment, and if they could check it would then be millions that would come up as unemployed.

They'll get a clue if/when they try to administer the registration for the bt10000 handout. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1