Singapore turbulent flight: Aussie survivor’s desperate plea

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Davis faced a media blackout enforced by hospital staff. In a public cafe within the hospital, staff, joined by security, prevented him from speaking to the ABC’s Bill Birtles. Davis, in a wheelchair with visible facial injuries, attempted to converse over a cup of coffee but was rushed away by staff.

The hospital later apologised, with Dr Adinun Kittiratanapaibool explaining that staff acted with good intentions to protect patient welfare.

??? ... Dr Adinun Kittiratanapaibool explaining that staff acted with good intentions to protect patient welfare...

Not being allowed to talk to the press is helping the patient's welfare in what way ?

Sounds like a blatant lie .

Most probably the hospital was trying to avoid any criticism and was worried about it's reputation ...

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, smedly said:

I'd have told them to politely ###  ##

They just pushed him away in his wheelchair .

image.jpeg

While wearing masks , not to be recognized ...?

Welcome to Thaiiand .

Edited by nobodysfriend
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

??? ... Dr Adinun Kittiratanapaibool explaining that staff acted with good intentions to protect patient welfare...

Not being allowed to talk to the press is helping the patient's welfare in what way ?

Sounds like a blatant lie .

Most probably the hospital was trying to avoid any criticism and was worried about it's reputation ...

I think with over 200 passengers and crew involved and about 3 days since the incident, if the situation at the hospital could be described as controlled chaos,  that would be generally acceptable for crisis management.

4 hours ago, bob smith said:

sounds like hell.

I hope all those who were injured on board are fully compensated by the airline.

Flying in 2024 isn't as safe as it used to be!

bob.

You are missing the most important fact, bob. He has admitted he was not wearing the seat belt at the time of this incident. The airline could refuse any compensation under the circumstances.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

How does the captain put on the seatbelt sign before clear air turbulence?

Crystal ball ? 

What I'm saying is that "passengers"  should be able to walk around during the flight

not only to go to the toilet  but the galley,  talk to friends and for the exercise  especially important on long flights...anyone who wants to sit strapped into a chair for 12 hours is free to do so.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, johng said:

Crystal ball ? 

What I'm saying is that "passengers"  should be able to walk around during the flight

not only to go to the toilet  but the galley,  talk to friends and for the exercise  especially important on long flights...anyone who wants to sit strapped into a chair for 12 hours is free to do so.

With all the flights conducted during monsoon season over this particular air route over Myanmar-Burma, this seems an extremely rare occurrence.

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Air turbulence has been here since God created the Heavens and the Earth.

So Act of God = no insurance payout. 

I don't know? They could all try suing God!

5 minutes ago, johng said:

I agree with you, but those with any common sense would keep it to an absolute minimum. Keeping your seatbelt off just because you can isn't the smartest thing to do. The almost funny thing is that, even after incidents such as this, people will continue to do it.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Naroge said:

“It was absolute carnage. There was no warning. We just fell into a freefall zone, and before we knew it, we were on the ceiling and then bang, on the ground.”]

From other reports it was stated that the "No Seatbelt" sign was turned on. What I have not seen however is any mentioning of for how long it was turned on before the major turbulence. Was it a few seconds or a minute? That makes quite a difference.

What the hell iis a no seatbelt sign?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

We shall see how SIA deals with this.  A sizeable payout with full coverage for medical treatment could be the way to go.

They would likely have insurance coverage for this.

What is passenger liability insurance?
Passenger liability insurance is aviation insurance that specifically covers any passengers who are on board your aircraft. This type of insurance protects your passengers and ensures that you’re covered in an accident in which you’re liable that injures or kills a passenger.

https://avioninsurance.com/passenger-liability-insurance/

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Surasak said:

You are missing the most important fact, bob. He has admitted he was not wearing the seat belt at the time of this incident. The airline could refuse any compensation under the circumstances.

Did he admit that? I can't see that in the OP or the linked article.

2 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Did he admit that? I can't see that in the OP or the linked article.

Seen his statement in more than one international news outlet. He clearly admitted he was not wearing his seat belt.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

They would likely have insurance coverage for this.

What is passenger liability insurance?
Passenger liability insurance is aviation insurance that specifically covers any passengers who are on board your aircraft. This type of insurance protects your passengers and ensures that you’re covered in an accident in which you’re liable that injures or kills a passenger.

https://avioninsurance.com/passenger-liability-insurance/

The key word is "liable".  Is SIA liable for passenger injuries caused during tubulence?  If all the passengers had been injured then SIA's liability could be huge but many walked away and flew on the next flight to Changi.  I'm certain many lawyers are arleady on the case. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

The key word is "liable".  Is SIA liable for passenger injuries caused during tubulence?  If all the passengers had been injured then SIA's liability could be huge but many walked away and flew on the next flight to Changi.  I'm certain many lawyers are arleady on the case. 

Yes I am aware of that. I don't know. That would just depend how the policy is worded, You could then maybe say that any accident-caused medical cost that wasn't negligence could not be covered

So when the hospital says to one of the treated parties You are ready to be discharged but we will not do so until you settle your bill, then you will know.

Edited by jerrymahoney

2 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Singapore Airlines has been one of the best airlines in the world for many years, same as its airport, they have a reputation to uphold.I would be very surprised if they did not pay for all the hospital bills of the injured.

You'd have thought for an incident on this scale the Bangkok hospitals would waive their usual fees and pass on only the costs.

The hospital staff have been rightly praised for dealing with the injured passengers so well.

Would be a PR nightmare if subsequently there's a high profile battle for payment of extortionate bills. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Flying in 2024 is as safe if not safer than it has ever been... not sure how you come to that conclusion?

this event was/is unpredictable even with modern tech in the aircraft.

Bad weather, can be detected ahead using onboard radar and reports from ATC and other aircraft, however air-pockets remain invisible.

It's Bob, innit it?

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

With all the flights conducted during monsoon season over this particular air route over Myanmar-Burma, this seems an extremely rare occurrence.

SQ321 was unlucky to have entered the eastern Bay of Bengal on the same day that the SW Monsoon arrived there (much earlier than average).

The contrast in local conditions from those over previous months would have been significant. A rare combination of weather phenomena - these could have affected any commercial flight, maybe even more severely.  

image.png.2068451bba8398f2572fc55110a2762a.png

Above from: https://mausam.imd.gov.in/responsive/monsooninformation.php

There is not a NO SEATBELT sign to turn on. Only a SEATBELT sign to turn on. It should be on all flight in my opinion.

And as for the bogs, put a belt on that seat also. 

Yes, of course you are right. My typo.

There is not a NO SEATBELT sign to turn on. Only a SEATBELT sign to turn on. It should be on all flight in my opinion.

And as for the bogs, put a belt on that seat also. 

Yes, of course you are right. My typo.

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Flying in 2024 is as safe if not safer than it has ever been... not sure how you come to that conclusion?

this event was/is unpredictable even with modern tech in the aircraft.

Bad weather, can be detected ahead using onboard radar and reports from ATC and other aircraft, however air-pockets remain invisible.

Clear air turbulence may not be detected by weather radar.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

In a bizarre twist, Davis faced a media blackout enforced by hospital staff. In a public cafe within the hospital, staff, joined by security, prevented him from speaking to the ABC’s Bill Birtles.

Sounds like political prison, not a hospital. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, VBF said:

And on some flights, one is encouraged to get up and go to the bar. This is one of the attractions of Emirates A380 business class for me.

It's therefore possible to encounter CAT whist standing with a drink, or even a hot drink.

Having said that, incidents like this are thankfully very rare and there's an element of risk in anything you do.

I for one won't take such a blasé attitude to the "Fasten seat belts" signs and announcements in future!

Equally, you'll be asked to sit and wear a seatbelt in the Emirates A380 bar if turbulence is anticipated. If severe turbulence is expected you'll be instructed to return to your seat. In my case I do wear the seatbelt throughout the flight as it makes no difference to my comfort and stops the cabin crew from harassing me if I fall asleep. However, the A380 bar is a highpoint of travel so unexpected turbulence won't stop me from enjoying Emirates hospitality at 43,000 feet.  

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Whatever the cause I hope things settle down for those still hospitalized over the next few days.

They are all just lucky this all happened close to Bangkok and not somewhere over the middle of the Pacific Ocean.