I was quoted 100k to remove a hemorrhoid. Outrageous.

16 hours ago, Hummin said:

Just to remove one mole, Bangkok hospital wanted 22k.

I remeved 3 in Norway for 700 baht all included with cancer check. Sometimes my tax money repaying. No way Im ever going to pay tax to Thailand

Egen eindel you paid in Norway, tax payers paid the rest

17 hours ago, Hummin said:

Just to remove one mole, Bangkok hospital wanted 22k.

I remeved 3 in Norway for 700 baht all included with cancer check. Sometimes my tax money repaying. No way Im ever going to pay tax to Thailand

I just did one removal Dr Niwat in Thap Tai Hua Hin   1465Baht  Full body check and a script for antibiotic ointment

I had an operation for haemorrhoid removal at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya in 2016. Can't remember the exact cost (think it was roughly 80k) but it was well worth the money as I've never had an issue since then. Before that I used to rely on Proctosedyl Ointment (with steroids) which was the only cream that worked for me. Unfortunately, Proctosedyl Ointment is not freely available in Thailand so I had to take myself off to the hospital where I was offered surgical removal or some other technique whereby he inserted rags doused in some chemical solution up the rectum to reduce the swelling. Not fancying the insertion treatment, I decided to opt for surgery. As I hadn't eaten the previous evening (or in the morning before my hospital visit) I was admitted straight away for the operation. The cost included a 2-day stay in the hospital where I was looked after by nurses in my own private room with TV and toilet. The room even had a panoramic view of the Pattaya coastline from my large window. The operation was pretty much as you describe: I was given a spinal anesthetic and was fully conscious throughout. I was basically on all fours with my posterior raised in the direction of the surgeon, where he did his removal of said haemorrhoids and a long vein. During the removal I was being constantly talked to by the anesthetist, who made sure I couldn't feel anything. The whole procedure took something like maybe 30 minutes, before I was then rolled back onto my trolley bed and taken to my private room to recuperate. 

As I stated previously, the operation was a huge success as I've never had a problem since. The only downsides were that the spinal anesthetic took a long time to wear off after and for me to regain any feeling back from below the waist, plus the healing process with dissolving stitches took approximately 4 weeks before I was able to feel fully back to normal again. Basically, I had to be careful how I went to the toilet as it was still very sore down there. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/24/2024 at 8:38 PM, advancebooking said:

I live in a regional city not bkk. Recently went to a private hospital and told the nurse that I have a large painful hemorrhoid on the outside of my butt near the rectum. How much I asked her. After a few minutes she said 100% and that includes spinal anesthesia. She asked if I wanted to see the surgeon. I said no thanks. 

5 yrs ago in Bumrungrad a dr put local into my butt and cut one out and I think it was 3k to 4k maybe. 2 yrs ago I had another one inside my rectum. Same hospital. They used a rubber band technique to remove it. I think that was up to 10k. 

So now I dont know what to do. It feels huge and so painful. Im using cream. Should I be going to Bkk. What happens if I do nothing for a week or so. Is it going to go away on its own. 

Its just a complete nightmare to have this on my butt right now

thanks

Sounds like a cyst, extremely painful in that area.  I had that once and it became so painful that I had to go to emergency to have it lanced,drained,and stitched up.

In that area you have to worry about sepsis or other infection.

Good luck and hopefully the cream improves you situation.

• Agree 1

I live in a regional city not bkk. Recently went to a private hospital and told the nurse that I have a large painful hemorrhoid on the outside of my butt near the rectum. How much I asked her. After a few minutes she said 100% and that includes spinal anesthesia. She asked if I wanted to see the surgeon. I said no thanks. 

5 yrs ago in Bumrungrad a dr put local into my butt and cut one out and I think it was 3k to 4k maybe. 2 yrs ago I had another one inside my rectum. Same hospital. They used a rubber band technique to remove it. I think that was up to 10k. 

So now I dont know what to do. It feels huge and so painful. Im using cream. Should I be going to Bkk. What happens if I do nothing for a week or so. Is it going to go away on its own. 

thanks

Sounds like a cyst, extremely painful in that area.  I had that once and it became so painful that I had to go to emergency to have it lanced,drained,and stitched up.

In that area you have to worry about sepsis or other infection.

Perhaps get another opinion and price quote.   100,000 baht is definitely high IMO.

Good luck and hopefully the cream improves you situation.

3 hours ago, itsari said:

Egen eindel you paid in Norway, tax payers paid the rest

And Im a tax payer,  paying my share being part of folketrygden!

11 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

They are 100% treatable in most cases by yourself. If you want my opinion toilets are hemrhoid manufacturers. Stay off toilets… well when you go, go right away and get off right away. Do not sit there for an hour like your dad and grandpa did. 

It can be avoided with the right diet, trying to push it out is a problem, so i can see why some need to sit for a while

10 hours ago, geisha said:

Multiple times this has come back ? Is there no way, diet, to stop getting hemorrhoids?

Yes eat the right diet and you shouldn't get, i doubt vegans get them, the healthy ones, not the doughnut eating ones

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

I just did a google search.

https://www.gothemorrhoids.com/home-remedies

The link does mention that in severe cases, there is no other option but surgery.

But one home remedy is ... 

• Try frequently applying aloe vera gel to the anal area for soothing relief, and the promotion of healing.

https://draxe.com/health/how-to-get-rid-of-hemorrhoids/

A high-fiber diet and drinking plenty of fluids are the most helpful dietary changes you can make when it comes to how to get rid of hemorrhoids.

Edited by save the frogs

My Thai mother-in-law went to a Private Clinic yesterday and was told surgery was not indicated.

She got an injection and cost her 1K THB with other medicines.

Haemorrhoids are varicose veins and varicose veins in the legs were often injected with good cosmetic effect. They inject a solution that dissolves the clotted blood.

Maybe you should try that method?

Outrageous is true . My own recent experience with Thai Bangkok hospital prices is similar . E.G. A procedure called 

Resume water therapy treatment for an enlarged prostate , quote 220,000 baht is the lowest fee quoted for the procedure plus pre op consultation fees.  The procedure takes only 15 minutes  ( a follow up 1 week later for removal of a catheter if fitted ) and is not surgery as such , only some injections of steam . 

Maybe these high prices are made for patients with insurance to pay the fees .  

After a few minutes she said 100% and that includes spinal anesthesia. She asked if I wanted to see the surgeon. I said no thanks. 

How much did that information cost ?

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
7 hours ago, mfd101 said:

An apple a day ...

More like 10 a day or equivalent 

Yes, it's the equivalent that counts.

If people pour nothing but rubbish down their throat, they get every sickness known to man.

5 hours ago, superal said:

Outrageous is true . My own recent experience with Thai Bangkok hospital prices is similar . E.G. A procedure called 

Resume water therapy treatment for an enlarged prostate , quote 220,000 baht is the lowest fee quoted for the procedure plus pre op consultation fees.  The procedure takes only 15 minutes  ( a follow up 1 week later for removal of a catheter if fitted ) and is not surgery as such , only some injections of steam . 

Maybe these high prices are made for patients with insurance to pay the fees .  

A friend of mine in Pattaya had a similar treatment for enlarged prostate as you describe. He appears to be fully recovered now.

You make a very good point about the pricing. I recall being taken to the finance department of the hospital to discuss payment options. As soon as I said my health insurance wouldn't cover it as it was an already pre-existing condition that I hadn't thought to notify the insurance company about, they changed the price and lowered it. I recall the price was quite reasonable which included a 2-day stay in the hospital, especially as the room felt like a 4-star luxury hotel. Also, I was in extreme discomfort and wanted the operation to go ahead without any further delay, so agreeing to the fee was a necessity as far as I was concerned. Sometimes you just have to swallow the cost if you want to overcome your problem straight away.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/24/2024 at 2:38 PM, advancebooking said:

thanks

I'll do it for 50k.

On 5/25/2024 at 5:51 PM, scubascuba3 said:

It can be avoided with the right diet, trying to push it out is a problem, so i can see why some need to sit for a while

Yes of course. Diet is a given. I’m telling you anyone out there reading this, this advice is worth its weight in gold (I know it sounds funny and doesn’t seem like it but just try it)… next time you get constipated really bad use one of the thai gas station bathroom toilet that only have the foot imprint, no toilet. Toilets are a hugely unnatural position. The squatting position is hugely more conducive to reliving a bout of constipation, which if I had to guess is a huge part of most peoples problem. 

anyway. Try it. That advice right there is better than seeing any doctor. Eat well. The problem is people don’t know what eating well is. They really have no clue. People eat yogurt and granola and think they are eating well. So much misinformation. Really. But eat well, do the squat thing if you do ever run into problem. There’s also a good YouTube video with 3 doctors who give some very good tips. 

23 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Yes, it's the equivalent that counts.

If people pour nothing but rubbish down their throat, they get every sickness known to man.

Indeed. Mine were first brought on by drinking alcohol in excess coupled with a poor diet when I was roughly 27-years old. Getting the condition made me immediately cut down on my booze, especially after my GP visit. As I previously pointed out, I was prescribed Proctosedyl Ointment which could only be prescribed by a doctor and not bought over-the-counter in the UK. The tube used to be quite large and would last me roughly 1 year before it expired. My condition would only recur every once in a blue moon, sometimes not coming back for a couple of years. Thing was when they did come back, no over-the-counter ointment would ever work, only the one with hydrocortisone, a steroid, and cinchocaine hydrochloride, a local anaesthetic. Despite their infrequency, as I got older the haemorrhoids could reappear over any type of straining, even heavy lifting or untightening a difficult bolt with a spanner could bring them on!  What I'm trying to say is even a healthy diet wouldn't ward them off indefinitely. That's why it was such a relief to get the surgery done in Thailand when I was staying there for 6 months. Now I no longer have to think about them. The cost has obviously now gone up due to inflation, which is another reason that I'm glad I got it done in LOS when I did.

On 5/25/2024 at 1:01 PM, Mark Nothing said:

My dissatisfaction was severe enough that I researched what old timers did to fix health problems before our modern medical system took over.

The results, not surprisingly were in direct contradiction with modernly accepts theories. I practice urotherapy.  The application of urine to any affected area.  A true panacea.

To fix my occasional minor hemmorhoids, I apply a urine soaked rag to the affected area for 30 minutes.  Then I say a prayer to activate the power fully, something like, "God please remove the hemmorhoids and retun my body to perfect health."

God gave us our own built in health system that is activated to full power with a prayer.  Works quickly.  Pain reduced immediately and in a few days it disappears.  

Are you taking the piss?

Update .

I reported earlier about the cost of the procedure called Rezum that is a water therapy to shrink an enlarged prostate .

The Thai hospitals start at 220,000 baht . It is available in the UK at 117,000 baht , so nearly half of the price . All for a 20 minute non invasive treatment and go home the same day . Outrageous or what ?

On 5/25/2024 at 6:30 PM, Trollmann said:

Old price list from 2019

Is there a link to download your Excel sheet on prices? It really looks impressive. Thanks.

22 hours ago, Senior Player said:

prescribed Proctosedyl Ointment which could only be prescribed by a doctor and not bought over-the-counter in the UK.

That is a steroid (readily available in Thailand) and a local anaesthetic (easy to get). So if the OP is motivated to act then he could go and get a couple of creams today to sort himself out.

4 minutes ago, Gaccha said:

That is a steroid (readily available in Thailand) and a local anaesthetic (easy to get). So if the OP is motivated to act then he could go and get a couple of creams today to sort himself out.

Proctoseydl is also available, without prescription, in Thailand. He mentioned he is already using a topucal medications.

Sometimes medications alone do not suffice. 

11 minutes ago, Gaccha said:

Is there a link to download your Excel sheet on prices? It really looks impressive. Thanks.

That list is of no practical use as the MoPH guidelines are pretty universally ignored.  What you see there is not indicative of actual charges.

That said, government hospital would certainly cost much less. But take longer/ involve more red tape. And would usually need to go to a higher level hospital. Ideally a university one.