Thinking about retiring in Egypt: What might the main advantages be?

I spent a week in Luxor in the '90s. I had won a prize for a week in that location.

Non-stop harassment from sellers, from the airport - continuing all week until our departure.

Food was bland.

Drinking water was the main problem.

Diarrhea rampant. Ice contaminated as well.

Ex-wife and I spent 2 of our 6 days - in the hotel room, on the toilet.

Valley of the Kings was interesting, but not the boring dialogue of our guide.

It was also, ultra hot.

Good luck living there.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

I've been, spent time there, a lot of the place stinks. 

The people are friendly but life is rather chaotic outside the tourist areas. I wouldn't recommend it as a place to retire to.

Edited by Thingamabob

2 hours ago, oslooskar said:

How about Albania? I saw this video on youtube the other day and it really surprised me.

She has a Hairdresser LOL, and a weird demonic smile.

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Yes, I can endorse that. Egypt has quite a number of resort towns along the Mediterranean and Red Sea coast. I owned an apartment on one near Hurghada on the Red Sea and lived their for 7 years and it was a very pleasant place to live.

Immigration and residency rules were a doddle. Just once a year and one single page application form to complete. All I needed was my 'owners card' from the resort and my passport. A rental contract could also be used if one doesn't own there.

Definitely worth looking into if one's looking for change of lifestyle. There are many Europeans retired there.

Thanks.

Very interesting.

The weather is good, too.

13 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

I've been, spent time there, a lot of the place stinks. 

I agree, i've spent a year there working, horrible place with horrible people.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Yes, I can endorse that. Egypt has quite a number of resort towns along the Mediterranean and Red Sea coast. I owned an apartment on one near Hurghada on the Red Sea and lived their for 7 years and it was a very pleasant place to live.

Immigration and residency rules were a doddle. Just once a year and one single page application form to complete. All I needed was my 'owners card' from the resort and my passport. A rental contract could also be used if one doesn't own there.

Definitely worth looking into if one's looking for change of lifestyle. There are many Europeans retired there.

Hurghada is where I`m visiting next year. As you say large numbers of Europeans do retire in Egypt which surprises many. Egypt is not as bad as many think. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I think there is a retirement visa for Egypt.

Egypt actually operates a similar method as they do here. You enter on a normal tourist visa. Then trot on down to the immigration office within 30 days and fill in a single page application. All one needs to qualify is proof of ownership, if one has a home there, or a rental contract. It is much easier than here in Thailand. 

14 hours ago, Sumiyoshicho said:

Hurghada is where I`m visiting next year. As you say large numbers of Europeans do retire in Egypt which surprises many. Egypt is not as bad as many think. 

I didn't live in Hurghada. I had an apartment in El Gouna, a tourist cum residential village some 20 kms north. It was a very pleasant place to live, a kind of upscale gated community. There are many like it doted round the coast. It was very well managed and one of the most environmentally friendly places I've ever lived in. Even the domestic water was collected and recycled for irrigation.

There are many Europeans living there. It's almost like a mini EU.

https://www.elgouna.com

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, PJ71 said:

I agree, i've spent a year there working, horrible place with horrible people.

Horrible?

How?

I like the people, like Omar....

On 5/25/2024 at 7:39 AM, mfd101 said:

As in all the Moslem countries - where women aren't available - men are. If that's of interest.

Then there's the (fading) relics of the city's Greek past, including Cavafy.

And there's always archaeology to keep you fit.

I would be interested to hear how you think women aren't available in Muslim countries.

Apart from casual visits I wouldn't consider any country to retire to that is hopelessly religious or not democratic (in principle)

Yes, I live in Thailand that is 96% Theravada Buddhist but fortunately no gods involved - I am OK with its philosophy of life.

Also, "might" be anything better is not enough to make informed decisions.

Even if you found perfection anywhere, you can be sure change might get in the way of thoughts of reality in permanency!

Like most of Gamma's posts, this un is likely for-consumption and he has no intention of ever living there. With so many other decent choices to retire to in the world, why on earth would one even entertain such a notion?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2024 at 6:11 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

Dear Folks,

I just watched a documentary about Omar.

Omar spent many of his best final days in Egypt.

image.png.f477e2f2c3c2f49c0d5a859378fc47e5.png

So then, would Egypt be a good Plan-B, just in case Thailand retirement might no longer be an option?

Are the people just as friendly as here?

And, what about the food?

Also, what might one do in Egypt, after visiting the temples there, in Egypt?

The Nile is a magnificent river.

Also, watching it flow past the city of Cairo, in the moonlight, seems to be spectacular.

Also, is it true what they say, that sand gets everywhere?

Is it easy to make friends with Egyptians?

What else might there to be known...before....

Retiring to Egypt/

Thank you.

Regards....

Note:  Do you think it was very believable that, in the film Dr. Z, Omar played such a major role.

He never seemed so very Russian, to me.

Even though he enjoyed walking through snow drifts.

Geards,

Gamma

Egypt would be perfect for you 'Gam" because "DENILE" would truly be a river outside your front door. :tongue:

On 5/24/2024 at 6:11 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

Dear Folks,

I just watched a documentary about Omar.

Omar spent many of his best final days in Egypt.

image.png.f477e2f2c3c2f49c0d5a859378fc47e5.png

So then, would Egypt be a good Plan-B, just in case Thailand retirement might no longer be an option?

Are the people just as friendly as here?

And, what about the food?

Also, what might one do in Egypt, after visiting the temples there, in Egypt?

The Nile is a magnificent river.

Also, watching it flow past the city of Cairo, in the moonlight, seems to be spectacular.

Also, is it true what they say, that sand gets everywhere?

Is it easy to make friends with Egyptians?

What else might there to be known...before....

Retiring to Egypt/

Thank you.

Regards....

Note:  Do you think it was very believable that, in the film Dr. Z, Omar played such a major role.

He never seemed so very Russian, to me.

Even though he enjoyed walking through snow drifts.

Geards,

Gamma

Egypt would be perfect for you 'Gam" because "DENILE" would truly be a river outside your front door. :tongue:

My father was born and raised in Alexandria (his British father was doing something with the military). His household was English-speaking, but my dad also learnt fluent Arabic to converse with the local staff, as well as fluent French because the only decent school in the town was the French Lycee.

He only left Alexandria just before WW2, and never returned.  In fact, during Nassau's period my aunt (his sister) did return to visit Alexandria and was promptly thrown into jail as a British spy 🙂

My grandmother is buried in Alexandria, but I've only passed through the airport on my way back to Bangkok some years ago on Egypt Air.

• Thumbs Up 1

One thing is for sure is that the popularity of Thailand is dropping with retirees or the retirees who used to come just for the 4 to 5 months in winter. Visa hassles, excessive documents and translations asked by immigration,. all the cheating against foreigners, the prices that are increasing for services and goods that often are higher sometimes then in Europe, the tax issues, the 90 day reporting, the invented rules that remain at the discretion of the officer behind the counter to make a fuss towards the foreigner and not to mention the general attitude to rip off foreigners at the first occasion....all this creates a climate of bitterness and motivates the retirees who can leave and who own property to sell asap and chose another winter retreat that is more respectful and grateful towards foreigners.