Thailand Set to Recriminalise Cannabis Amid Expert Outcry

3 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Did I ask you what gives you a hard on? Yet there is the possibility that you have gone soft beyond repair.

Thanks, that made me laugh. No offense taken.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/25/2024 at 12:42 AM, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Thailand’s government has announced plans to close cannabis shops and reclassify cannabis flowers and buds as Category 5 narcotics, responding to severe backlash from the medical community. 

The Minister of Public Health is introducing a more stringent regime for medical cannabis use, backed by medical professionals who have declared the previous liberalisation policy a disaster.

Hundreds of Thai doctors, including Smith Srisont, President of the Medical Association of Thailand, have criticised the former government’s handling of cannabis, citing an alarming rise in psychiatric cases linked to the drug’s recreational use.

The shift follows Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin’s order to reclassify cannabis as a scheduled narcotic. The policy has sparked strong opposition from the cannabis industry and advocates, but it enjoys the support of nearly 76% of Thais according to a recent NIDA poll.

Minister Somsak Thepsutin outlined plans for a permit system allowing the medical use of certain cannabis elements. This would offer a controlled framework for cannabis use, aiming to balance medical benefits with public health concerns.

The move to recriminalise cannabis marks a significant departure from last year’s decriminalisation, which saw thousands of cannabis shops proliferate across Thailand. Medical experts argue that the drug’s liberalisation led to unregulated usage that endangered public health, particularly mental health.

Critics of the 2022 liberalisation have been particularly vocal about the lack of legal framework and enforcement, which left authorities unable to regulate cannabis effectively. For example, enforcing road safety laws against drivers under the influence of cannabis became practically impossible.

Medical proponents maintain that cannabis can still be used for medical purposes under stringent regulation, addressing concerns raised by mental health experts about the drug’s adverse effects on young people and the broader population. 

As Thailand moves towards recriminalising cannabis, the government appears committed to a new, more controlled approach that safeguards public health while acknowledging the potential medical benefits of cannabis.

TOP: Smith Srisont, President of the Medical Association of Thailand. Picture courtesy: MEDI

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-25

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

I have some first hand experience of this. As a landlord in the UK I used to support tenants with mental health problems. During that time I had two young male tenants in their early 20s both of whom had developed schizophrenia from cannabis use in their teens. They both had ex-hippy parents who had considered it harmless; safer than alcohol etc. and allowed them to regularly smoke it at home with their mates. As a result they are unable to work and need Powerful antipsychotic medication to keep them sane for the rest of their lives. Basically they have no future whatsoever! Basically their whole lives have been completely f u c k e d  by cannabis. 

I enjoyed smoking it a bit when I was young and believe that it broadened and enhanced my creative thinking. But I stopped using it when I realized that it was destroying my common sense thinking. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

I have some first hand experience of this. As a landlord in the UK I used to support tenants with mental health problems. During that time I had two young male tenants in their early 20s both of whom had developed schizophrenia from cannabis use in their teens. They both had ex-hippy parents who had considered it harmless; safer than alcohol etc. and allowed them to regularly smoke it at home with their mates. As a result they are unable to work and need Powerful antipsychotic medication to keep them sane for the rest of their lives. Basically they have no future whatsoever! Basically their whole lives have been completely f u c k e d  by cannabis. 

I enjoyed smoking it a bit when I was young and believe that it broadened and enhanced my creative thinking. But I stopped using it when I realized that it was destroying my common sense thinking. 

Sorry but this means nothing. Yes, people have problems and yes heavy dope use may not help those people who may or may not have a variety of social and mental issues but basically what you've posted is just anecdotal evidence. There are millions of people you smoke dope that don't have problems just like there are millions of people who consume alcohol who don't have problems. Maybe 10's or 100's of millions who don't have a problem with either drug. Perspective is what's needed and this certainly doesn't seem to be the case.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

I can’t believe they legalized it and now are de legalizing it. Reminds me of a Thai woman just complete schitzo train wreck. Work it out the first time through. This is why they think foreigners think too much, I guess because they do not think enough. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

A couple of months ago, I visited a favourite restaurant for lunch in downtown Pattaya. It is a one-shophouse place open at the front; no air conditioning.  It has been a successful little restaurant for over 30 years.

I was happy to see the same owner, a Thai woman, still in charge.  We chatted during the lunch, and she mentioned that it was lucky that I had come for lunch and not for dinner.  She said that there is a cannabis shop on both sides of her restaurant now, and that from late afternoon onwards, the smell from pot smokers is overwhelming.  It has caused a decrease in her business.

Additionally, and more importantly, she lives above the restaurant (it's one of those 3-storey shophouses so common here).  Her mother, who is in her 80s's, lives with her above the restaurant.  The mother has asthma and has been having severe problems with the amount of cannabis smoke.  The owner said that she will likely have to close her shop and move elsewhere.  

I hope the recriminalization will save what is a very basic, but very good, place;  and will not force the owner to abandon her livelihood.

(Of course, this situation is caused by people not being responsible for their effect on others; rather than the issue of whether of not pot smoking has a negative impact on health.)  

Edited by LarryLEB
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LarryLEB said:

A couple of months ago, I visited a favourite restaurant for lunch in downtown Pattaya. It is a one-shophouse place open at the front; no air conditioning.  It has been a successful little restaurant for over 30 years.

I was happy to see the same owner, a Thai woman, still in charge.  We chatted during the lunch, and she mentioned that it was lucky that I had come for lunch and not for dinner.  She said that there is a cannabis shop on both sides of her restaurant now, and that from late afternoon onwards, the smell from pot smokers is overwhelming.  It has caused a decrease in her business.

Additionally, and more importantly, she lives above the restaurant (it's one of those 3-storey shophouses so common here).  Her mother, who is in her 80s's, lives with her above the restaurant.  The mother has asthma and has been having severe problems with the amount of cannabis smoke.  The owner said that she will likely have to close her shop and move elsewhere.  

I hope the recriminalization will save what is a very basic, but very good, place;  and will not force the owner to abandon her livelihood.

(Of course, this situation is caused by people not being responsible for their effect on others; rather than the issue of whether of not pot smoking has a negative impact on health.)  

I'm sad that some dope smokers act this way. When I smoke a cig in public I'm very conscious of not annoying others. Dope smokers should be the same. Sadly society now is all about ME. As for asthma dope is very good for that.  On the other hand having a place selling food next to people smoking dope might very well be a bit of a bonus. It's true dope does give you the munchies.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Agree 1

On 5/25/2024 at 7:53 AM, JBChiangRai said:

The stoner's typical response is that Cannabis is not addictive, does not cause any problems, is safer than alcohol etc etc

The fact is that this flies in the face of medical opinion, Cannabis Use Disorder is very real, I am not commenting on alcohol, which is also a problem, but irrelevant, we are talking about Cannabis only.

Fast Statistics

Approximately 3 in 10 people who use cannabis have cannabis use disorder.

It is estimated that people who use cannabis have about a 10% likelihood of becoming addicted.

The risk of developing cannabis use disorder is greater in people who start using cannabis during youth or adolescence and who use cannabis more frequently.

The following are signs of cannabis use disorder:

Using more cannabis than intended

Trying but failing to quit using cannabis

Spending a lot of time using cannabis

Craving cannabis

Using cannabis even though it causes problems at home, school, or work

Continuing to use cannabis despite social or relationship problems

Giving up important activities with friends and family in favor of using cannabis

Using cannabis in high-risk situations, such as while driving a car

Continuing to use cannabis despite physical or psychological problems

Needing to use more cannabis to get the same high

People who have cannabis use disorder may also be at a higher risk of other negative consequences, such as problems with attention, memory, and learning.

Cannabis Use Disorder: Definition, Symptoms, Treatment (verywellmind.com)

Cannabis Use Disorder - StatPearls - NCBI Bookshelf (nih.gov)

Understanding Your Risk for Cannabis Use Disorder | Cannabis and Public Health | CDC

Cannabis/Marijuana Use Disorder > Fact Sheets > Yale Medicine

Cannabis use and cannabis use Disorder - PMC (nih.gov)

Personal choice.  Adults can smoke it or they can't. I don't smoke it personally but it isn't doing me any harm that other people are smoking it. So, why are you so bothered?  Is it personally affecting you?  

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2024 at 7:53 AM, JBChiangRai said:

The stoner's typical response is that Cannabis is not addictive, does not cause any problems, is safer than alcohol etc etc

The fact is that this flies in the face of medical opinion, Cannabis Use Disorder is very real, I am not commenting on alcohol, which is also a problem, but irrelevant, we are talking about Cannabis only.

Fast Statistics

Approximately 3 in 10 people who use cannabis have cannabis use disorder.

It is estimated that people who use cannabis have about a 10% likelihood of becoming addicted.

The risk of developing cannabis use disorder is greater in people who start using cannabis during youth or adolescence and who use cannabis more frequently.

The following are signs of cannabis use disorder:

Using more cannabis than intended

Trying but failing to quit using cannabis

Spending a lot of time using cannabis

Craving cannabis

Using cannabis even though it causes problems at home, school, or work

Continuing to use cannabis despite social or relationship problems

Giving up important activities with friends and family in favor of using cannabis

Using cannabis in high-risk situations, such as while driving a car

Continuing to use cannabis despite physical or psychological problems

Needing to use more cannabis to get the same high

People who have cannabis use disorder may also be at a higher risk of other negative consequences, such as problems with attention, memory, and learning.

Understanding Your Risk for Cannabis Use Disorder | Cannabis and Public Health | CDC

Personal choice.  Adults can smoke it or they can't. I don't smoke it personally but it isn't doing me any harm that other people are smoking it. So, why are you so bothered?  Is it personally affecting you?  

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Not a chance they will be shutting all the shops down. It will be just like prostitution which is illegal and a blind eye will be turned

Edited by paulikens
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/26/2024 at 6:48 AM, JBChiangRai said:

Did you read the links I posted? CUD is well documented by medical experts and universally accepted as fact.

Nonsense.

Cannabis-related deaths in England and Wales 2022 | Statista

I am talking OVERDOSE, you are talking about unstable people that take cannabis and do stupid things and die. 2 very different things!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

In some Scandinavian countries alcohol, exept beer, can only be bought in state-own shops, and that has been a success in all aspects. 
•You must be over a certain age to buy there.
•The staff are professional with great knowledge about their products.
•You can trust there will never be a fake product there with additional health risks. •The government decides where to establish new shops
If they make pot leagal, they could du the same thing with pot. The best way to have a controlled consumption to the benefit for all.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JulesMad said:

I am talking OVERDOSE, you are talking about unstable people that take cannabis and do stupid things and die. 2 very different things!!!

if you look more carefully at what I said, I quoted two posts and replied to them separately, what you quoted was not the reply to your post.

The reply to your post said nonsense and it listed a cannabis death posted in the news from overdose, specifically in reply to your comment, saying there had been no deaths from overdose ever.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Geir Rasch said:

In some Scandinavian countries alcohol, exept beer, can only be bought in state-own shops, and that has been a success in all aspects. 
•You must be over a certain age to buy there.
•The staff are professional with great knowledge about their products.
•You can trust there will never be a fake product there with additional health risks. •The government decides where to establish new shops
If they make pot leagal, they could du the same thing with pot. The best way to have a controlled consumption to the benefit for all.

Finally a sensible approach to legalizing Cannabis.

The 'disaster' is that alcohol sales and use and adverse effects have gone down since cannabis was (re)legalized, as happens in every state , province or country the decriminalizes or legalizes cannabis and that has caused alcohol revenue to go down.

The other disaster is that police and military aren't getting a cut of the business and government officials aren't getting paid off to allow it.

Nothing to do with public health or concern for Thai's who did as the Thai government suggested and started growing or selling produce that's more profitable than cassava, rubber or rice. All to do with greed and personal enrichment of politicians and government officials. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2024 at 8:17 AM, JBChiangRai said:

This is not a personal attack on anyone, I don't have a problem with recreational use of cannabis subject to some very specific conditions.

When people post untruths about Cannabis, it needs to be corrected, it can't just be left there as a lie that assumes truth through being unchallenged.

Some people who drink alcohol are alcoholics, not all, just as some people who use Cannabis recreationally have CUD, not all.

I do drink alcohol, I particularly enjoy fine wine.  I'm not an alcoholic because of the quantity and frequency I imbibe.  I drink wine for the tase, not the effect, the converse is probably not true with Cannabis.

Funny how you dislike the untruths but you yourself are contributing to the problem.  Please state your references, you know scientific articles, that support your claims otherwise they are just your opinions.   

2 minutes ago, jtrump said:

Funny how you dislike the untruths but you yourself are contributing to the problem.  Please state your references, you know scientific articles, that support your claims otherwise they are just your opinions.   

I already did on page 1 of this thread.  What you quoted was a follow up to other comments.

For your convenience I enclose them here.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

Hahahahaha, Good try but NIH and Yale.  I read the first 2 before giving up on the rest. Try papers that actually have some scientific merit.  Please stop with this nonsense those papers are studies they regurgitate what others say and have no studies attached.    These organizations have been corrupted a long time ago.  got any real proof?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, jtrump said:

Hahahahaha, Good try but NIH and Yale.  I read the first 2 before giving up on the rest. Try papers that actually have some scientific merit.  Please stop with this nonsense those papers are studies they regurgitate what others say and have no studies attached.    These organizations have been corrupted a long time ago.  got any real proof?

I can see why you're called Trump, you share his dislike of facts.

OMG dude, all the author did was change DUD to CUD.  Anyone can be addicted to almost anything, some more than others.  Just because some people are easily addicted doesn't mean that the substance is addicting. People can be addicted to chocolate, doesn't mean chocolate is an addicting substance. It just means that some people's systems can't handle it. 

Figures you would stoop to name calling, suits you well.   You mean facts like Hunter Biden's laptop is real.  Or the jabs didn't prevent contraction or transmission of the disease?  All the BS that the Lamestream media is pushing.  

I think it's very important to understand that the anti-Cannabis movement is largely driven by Big Pharma.

Cannabis eats away at their profits.    Why?   Because Cannabis users drink and smoke tobacco less or not at all, so they aren't as likely to end up in a hospital needing to be treated with pills.

Health problems created by alcohol and tobacco exceed those caused by Cannabis by a country mile.     

The anti-vaping laws in this and other SE countries are there for the same reason.    One just needs to see the video comparing vaping to smoking to see how alarmingly ridiculous these laws are.    After one month of smoking your lungs are black and brown, but with vaping they remain clear and healthy.     Absolute insanity that vaping is illegal while smoking is legal.

Big Pharma is big business that needs lots and lots of clients.    Very sad, but very true.

• Agree 1