New Mobile Banking Rules Aim to Curb 'Horse' Accounts

webfact

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I am not sure how this will affect Business accounts.

Luckily I do not use phone apps, but I know lots of others who do use them for their business.

or joint accounts

Would you believe it, earlier today my daughter tried to get me the KrungSri app on my phone with her account, so I could use it. It said she'd need to go into the branch with her ID card. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Would you believe it, earlier today my daughter tried to get me the KrungSri app on my phone with her account, so I could use it. It said she'd need to go into the branch with her ID card. 

Sounds quite sensible to me............:coffee1:

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, tandor said:

So now these mules have to open a bank account AND buy a SIM-card! Smart.

Mules are ok its only horses that will have a problem..........:biggrin:

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Use a prepay sim in your name then, not that difficult to work out, a main sim if you use another and one with minimal balance if necessary, 2 sim phones make it easy

Thanks for the particularly impractical and convoluted suggestion.

it shouldn’t be hard to work out why someone would want a post pay SIM card over a pre pay, but you seem to be having difficulty. 

just think about it a little longer and see if anything springs to mind.

Two sim phones. SMH

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I'm in the UK now but still use my Thai bank via mobile app for certain transactions and get the SMS alerts when I need to verify who I am, and I guess this is the main issue. My SIM and bank account are both in my name.

I'll just wait and see what happens. I was about to top up the bank account but I'm not doing that until I know whether it's going to work or not.

I doubt the SMS code will work from here so I'm not even going to bother.

31 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

The app/acct can only be on one phone.  I expect she already has the app with her account on "her" phone and therefore cannot activate the app on another phone until she deletes the acct from her phone.   Been that way since around last July when Bank of Thailand implemented the rule.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Thanks for the particularly impractical and convoluted suggestion.

it shouldn’t be hard to work out why someone would want a post pay SIM card over a pre pay, but you seem to be having difficulty. 

just think about it a little longer and see if anything springs to mind.

Two sim phones. SMH

I can see you're a luddite, maybe your fake much younger wife or girlfriend is better with tech, ask her

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I can see you're a luddite, maybe your fake much younger wife or girlfriend is better with tech, ask her

Does your much younger boyfriend sort your tech stuff out..........?  :intheclub:

• Haha 2

And with a stroke of the pen, 30% of all mobile banking accounts will suddenly break? 🙄

I'm totally sure the banks and phone companies are ready to handle the customer calls and visits tomorrow.

According to the article there are 30 million "horse" accounts out of about 107 million online mobile bank accounts. Jimminy Christmas... If a fraudster can open a bank account with someone else's ID they can surely do it with a SIM card too.

• Thumbs Up 2

Posted (edited)

Thank you, SCB for taking away online banking, removing ATMs, and closing so many branch offices near me. After frog marching me into using the phone app, I guess that too will be disabled, because it's in my wife's name. Prayuth was better.

Edited by John Drake
  • Thumbs Up 2

According to another news source:

The inspection process will begin on May 27, 2024 and will take 120 days to investigate, after which the measures will be publicized to the public.

8 hours ago, watchcat said:

Will these accounts be used by "agents" for immigration as well, or are they only for mobile use?

I've been using a pre-paid SIM card for >10 years. There is no name on my SIM card. Will I still be able to do transfers through my mobile phone 

8 hours ago, ballpoint said:

The SIM in my phone has been registered in my wife's name ever since SIM cards became a thing around 30 years ago and we went from our old SIMless brick phone at the time to the new tech.  Sure, the card itself has changed size and shape over the years, but the registration name stayed the same. Looks like we'll finally be changing it - if I get this notification.

9 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Seems there is an u-turn already.

“Anyone using a name on a number that doesn't match their account today doesn't have to worry. NBTC (National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission) explains that the new rules have not been implemented yet. Also request more time to coordinate with AMLO (Anti-Money Laundering Office), and network service providers and revealed there will be exceptions.

From the news that on 27 May various banks will start using new rules. that the assigned phone number used to connect to the bank account, must be the name of the person who activated the service or registered as the owner of the SIM card.

Last night, the NBTC issued an announcement explaining the matter, stating that “Office of the Broadcasting Commission Television business and the National Telecommunications Commission (NBTC Office) would like to clarify that the news about screening mobile banking numbers (SIM cards) linked to bank accounts, is currently only a process in progress.”

Translated from link.

https://workpointnews.com/around/news/N88UOKP

Another case of using a sledgehammer to kill a fly. Hopefully sense will prevail

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Mules are ok its only horses that will have a problem..........:biggrin:

sorry BT but this is not my quote (Roel)..someone's messing about!

Edited by tandor
typo

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Thank you, SCB for taking away online banking, removing ATMs, and closing so many branch offices near me. After frog marching me into using the phone app, I guess that too will be disabled, because it's in my wife's name. Prayuth was better.

I hear you. But this may have little or nothing with either prime minister themselves. These could be independent agencies. But I really don't know for sure, just a guess. But overall, this is another case of everything changes, and often not for the better. That's the way of the world, social entropy, moving toward chaos

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Yeah concerning - i stopped having contracts around 2018 in my own name, just had a internet sim on the wives account (same as various cctv internet sims) costs about 150 baht a month opposed to 600-700 as i don't use the phone for calls...

What details do we need to register/transfer the sim to my name these days?

I suspect that there will be a lot of us in a similar situation. The internet providers seem to prefer having a Thai's  name on the contract. I'm just hopeful that they will accept that the same (rather unusual) family name living at the same address will satisfy them there's nothing untoward with our arrangement.

It will be a real pain in the butt if I'm forced to change my phone number.

1 hour ago, robertyongym said:

I've been using a pre-paid SIM card for >10 years. There is no name on my SIM card. Will I still be able to do transfers through my mobile phone 

It shouldn't be a problem for you. All you'll need to do is register your SIM in your name. Job done.

9 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

What details do we need to register/transfer the sim to my name these days?

9 hours ago, smedly said:

passport

Last month lost my phone, went to renew the old SIM, but they system, AIS, only had the  old registered passport number on it, going back 15 years plus, as luck had it I still had my old passport from then, and I could re new the old SIM, they would not take my current passport at all.

No old passport no re new my old SIM.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Xonax said:

My sim is also in my wifes name. This because the phone companies did not allow me to have a post paid account with them, without having a work permit.

Why is this information shared only on the day it is effective? Would have been nice to have a little time to get things changed.

It seems like this issue is like with most in Thailand, different people have different experiences with the same thing. You agree with me about the demand for a work permit to get a postpaid sim card (which was very clear and absolute back then), while at least two others say they didn't need a work permit to get one. I have no reason to think they are wrong, so it is a conundrum. I have AIS, and admittedly it is a long time since I checked the rules, so it is possible they have been relaxed since then. I will check this when back in Thailand.

7 hours ago, trevoromgh said:

Oh gawd.  Another thing to worry about but should not 'in theory' affect me as don't use mobile banking apps but I do use online internet banking via my PC & Laptop and the mobile is just used to receive OTP passwords which I 'assume' are unaffected?   Would be grateful if someone can advise me if they are they are impacted in this respect.  Cheers.

I just asked my bank this same question.

They said no problem.

6 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

You are flat wrong when you say that there has never been a requirement for a work permit in order to get a SIM card, IF the SIM card is post pay. Prepay has never been a problem.

whether the situation has changed, I don’t know but for sure in the past a post pay sim needed a work permit.

i guess I will update my knowledge by checking with the phone company

Postpaid usually needs WP.

And bank statement of your MiL for the last 24 years, plus vaccination certificate of your dog, plus plus plus...

It's not getting easier to get a postpaid number,  it's getting more difficult. 

My postpaid number is 20 years old, but the same provider wouldn't give me another one because I don't fulfill the requirements. 

5 hours ago, connda said:

So each and every single individual in a family unit needs to go get their own freaking SIM now?

Exactly.

Phone number as citizen ID

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

The military government were better in many areas.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, ballpoint said:

The SIM in my phone has been registered in my wife's name ever since SIM cards became a thing around 30 years ago and we went from our old SIMless brick phone at the time to the new tech.  Sure, the card itself has changed size and shape over the years, but the registration name stayed the same. Looks like we'll finally be changing it - if I get this notification.

Yeh, I just checked with the wife, and as I thought, it is my name Tiruk she said.

So I won't be waiting for the notification, will go to a Center and get it changed to my name, hopefully, because change here, in my experience leads to the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Edited by 4MyEgo