US Passport Renewal Hell - Thailand Edition May 2024

7 hours ago, bbko said:

After living in Thailand for over 17 years, and as a US citizen I've renewed my passport here twice with the embassy in Bangkok; zero drama, zero problems.  Some people are a magnet for confusion, drama & problems.

I've lived here 17 years and did my first passport renewal in person at the Chiang Mai US Embassy.  It was a piece of cake.

Now doing this new mail-in process which in itself is a magnet for confusion, drama & problems.
But thanks for the input - I'm happy your renewals went so smoothly.  Good for you.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

You can get a U.S. passport back in 2-3 weeks (reading from the comments) when applying for a renewal in Thailand????

This is what I find on the travel.state.gov website regarding processing times for a passport.   Note the "mailing times not included in processing times"!

Perhaps I should wait until I am in Thailand to renew my passport!

Current Processing Times (applied on or after December 18, 2023)

Routine

6 to 8 weeks

Expedited

2 to 3 weeks

Urgent

Must make an appointment and have international travel within 14 calendar days

About Our Processing Times

• Include the time your application is at one of our passport agencies or centers. 
  • You may get your passport on a different date than your family member or friend.
  • Mailing times are not included in processing times. Consider the total time it will take to receive your passport when you are booking travel. 
  • It may take two weeks for your application to get to us, and two weeks for you to get your passport after we mail it. 
Edited by radiochaser

On 5/28/2024 at 9:49 AM, zzzzz said:

Did my US Passport in Nov last year,  had no problems, followed the directions< received it in Phuket 41 days after sending it off to Embassy
Than had an agent do all the transfers to new passport 3 months later ( as my last extension was done by an agent)
at the same time as my 1 year extension and 90 day report.

I too did my new one in November last year but I did the transfers myself, IO also wanted a "new" tm.30 and did the 90-day report on that date too, besides the transfers (1hour) the TM.30 and 90-day at CM took less than 10 minutes.  never have used an agent, I retired 20 years ago and never had any problems though it used to take a long time but now things are much better in CM than they used to be in my opinion.

5 hours ago, connda said:

Actually you don't.  You go to the Thai Post Mart and purchase the Courier Pass Back envelope for the Bangkok Embassy.  After purchasing it the Thai Post Mart sends you an email receipt with an order number.  You print this receipt out, write the order number down on your Passport Renewal checklist, and print out a copy of the receipt and include it in your renewal package.  The primary issue with this process is payment.  I could not get a debit card or Internet payment option to work.  Finally was able to get the QR Promptpay option to work with my bank's mobile app.  This is the primary way to pay for the return postage as per the instructions from the U.S. Embassy site regarding passport renewals.  So this is THE alternative and it's they way the Bangkok U.S. Embassy wants you to do it.

Thank you for following up with this information. When I did my passport in March of 2023, this option was not available.

I actually preferred just sending the bank draft, but this is roughly the same effort.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, connda said:

The primary issue with this process is payment.  I could not get a debit card or Internet payment option to work.  Finally was able to get the QR Promptpay option to work with my bank's mobile app.  This is the primary way to pay for the return postage as per the instructions from the U.S. Embassy site regarding passport renewals.  So this is THE alternative and it's they way the Bangkok U.S. Embassy wants you to do it.

https://www.thailandpostmart.com/product/1013460000929

Screenshotfrom2024-05-2908-11-36.png.3171fa765ce3def7dc043a406840a8d8.png

Thanks for your detailed report. Lots of comments of course from people who've renewed their U.S. passports in previous years, last year, two years ago or longer, recounting their experiences. All offered in good faith, but kind of out-of-date now. The Embassy has made a few changes in the process, actually keeps making changes, especially in the return-by-post requirement. (That one one came in last August, I believe.) There are some good reports from since that time, including this one, which provide correct up-to-date info. (And understandable, after people get their new passports, not to stay up on what's happening re passport renewals.)

What I have not seen and am asking about, has anyone ever tried buying or was able to purchase the Thai Post Courier Pass Back directly at a Post Office? Which would be a rather easy option for some (myself included, ha.)

Edited by rwilem
  • Thanks 1

Renewed my US Passport in Thailand several years ago.

Followed the instructions on the US Embassy to the T.  Received mine new one in 10 days.

Granted this was during Covid time so that may of sped the process up.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, connda said:

I've lived here 17 years and did my first passport renewal in person at the Chiang Mai US Embassy.  It was a piece of cake.

Now doing this new mail-in process which in itself is a magnet for confusion, drama & problems.
But thanks for the input - I'm happy your renewals went so smoothly.  Good for you.  :thumbsup:

No US Embassy in Chiang Mai

Doing the extra step of a bank draft for return postage was a bother but understand the separation of passport fee and mailing fees that differ country to country.

I have given up on Thai experts and professionals, so I just use https://epassportphoto.com/

The one issue I had is finding the immigration photo sizes - look under Greece and Japan.

My wife and I applied for our new US passports at the same time (me to get my full LTR 10-years and hers to coordinate with her first ten-year Thai passport) What we got back were passport numbers separated by one e.g. mine ending in 16 and hers in 18, nut fortunately the same issue and expire dates.

OK, one mails the application for  passport renewal and makes the $135 payment. Tracking by Thai Post shows the package containing the application, photos, and old passport has been delivered. I have done all this. Will the US Embassy at some point send me an email message advising of the status of the application and let me know if anything else is needed? Will they send me a message that the new passport has been mailed back to me? One gets the feeling the whole process can use some more transparency.

5 minutes ago, HerewardtheWake said:

OK, one mails the application for  passport renewal and makes the $135 payment. Tracking by Thai Post shows the package containing the application, photos, and old passport has been delivered. I have done all this. Will the US Embassy at some point send me an email message advising of the status of the application and let me know if anything else is needed? Will they send me a message that the new passport has been mailed back to me? One gets the feeling the whole process can use some more transparency.

If anything goes wrong you’re screwed and you’re not owed any info even though you payed a small ransom to them 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mania said:

I think it is pretty obvious he meant US consulate

I suppose you're right.  I just thought someone whose been here 17 years would know the difference.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, HerewardtheWake said:

Will the US Embassy at some point send me an email message advising of the status of the application and let me know if anything else is needed?

No. They'll send everything back to you if you screwed up.

Will they send me a message that the new passport has been mailed back to me?

No, just mail it back to you.

One gets the feeling the whole process can use some more transparency.

I dunno, seems pretty straightforward. Mail in w/ the fee, get back new passport. I had no issues.

17 hours ago, HerewardtheWake said:

Yes, I did get an e-mail from the US Embassy (American Citizens Services Unit) indicating that they received my package and it was being processed.  I'd imagine at that point, they would have told me if something was missing or in error.  But once the process is complete and your passport was being issued, no more e-mails.  You can track it on the ThailandPost website though.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, HerewardtheWake said:

Berkshire, thanks, but what tarcking number do I use on Thai Post for this purpose? 

Back in Nov
never got a tracking number for the thai post> nor any emails
I did see updates on the US site showing if my passport was in process or transit

https://passportstatus.state.gov/

Edited by zzzzz
  • Thanks 1

On 5/28/2024 at 10:00 AM, connda said:

I've spent the entire morning trying to purchase the Courier Pass Back envelope.

Multiple problems.

First - trying to sign up but it won't accept my email address.
Finally used the Sign in using Google account option.

Second: 
I've tried purchasing with a Thai debit card.  I get to CardX/SCB screen where my mobile phone correctly show and it indicates it will send an OPT - but then fails saying the transaction information is not correct.  It's a good debit card.  I'm at a loss.

Tried internet banking, but the 1-2-3 pukes out at an "Enter a phone number" written in Thai.
Other payment options don't work, probably because I'm a foreigner.

So - what are my other options to purchase a Courier Pass Back envelope which I can't seem to purchase online.

You are making this harder than it needs to be, follow the instructions instead of trying to do what you want. You have to sign up for the Thai postal shop and have a sign in account for it to work. After I signed in no problem for me and passport back in 3 or 4 weekd

On 5/31/2024 at 10:45 AM, BigStar said:

No. They'll send everything back to you if you screwed up.

Actually, they just sent me an email, stating my photo sucked, er, wasn't sharp enough; please submit another. Gave me a reference number to cite -- but kept all of the original submission. [Note: Photoshopped pictures may eliminate your zits -- but can cause acceptability problems.]

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Actually, they just sent me an email, stating my photo sucked, er, wasn't sharp enough; please submit another. Gave me a reference number to cite -- but kept all of the original submission. [Note: Photoshopped pictures may eliminate your zits -- but can cause acceptability problems.]

Good on 'em then. No communication to me, just did their job. I think I got back the new passport in about 2 weeks, though. This was 4 years ago.

I got the passport photos at a shop recommended here for doing them, across the soi on the north side of Central Marina. Guy evidently did know what he's doing. 

On 5/28/2024 at 11:19 PM, radiochaser said:

You can get a U.S. passport back in 2-3 weeks (reading from the comments) when applying for a renewal in Thailand????

This is what I find on the travel.state.gov website regarding processing times for a passport.   Note the "mailing times not included in processing times"!

Perhaps I should wait until I am in Thailand to renew my passport!

Current Processing Times (applied on or after December 18, 2023)

Routine

6 to 8 weeks

Expedited

2 to 3 weeks

Urgent

Must make an appointment and have international travel within 14 calendar days

About Our Processing Times

• Include the time your application is at one of our passport agencies or centers. 
  • You may get your passport on a different date than your family member or friend.
  • Mailing times are not included in processing times. Consider the total time it will take to receive your passport when you are booking travel. 
  • It may take two weeks for your application to get to us, and two weeks for you to get your passport after we mail it. 

May be mistaken but I believe this is for renewal in the US.  

On 5/28/2024 at 11:32 PM, Presnock said:

I too did my new one in November last year but I did the transfers myself, IO also wanted a "new" tm.30 and did the 90-day report on that date too, besides the transfers (1hour) the TM.30 and 90-day at CM took less than 10 minutes.  never have used an agent, I retired 20 years ago and never had any problems though it used to take a long time but now things are much better in CM than they used to be in my opinion.

TM30, 90-day report. IO, to renew US passport?  What am I missing?

5 hours ago, sabaiguy said:

TM30, 90-day report. IO, to renew US passport?  What am I missing?

He's talking about transferring visa info from the old passport to the new passport at Immigration.

"I too did my new one in November last year but I did the transfers myself"

On 5/27/2024 at 8:42 PM, connda said:

I've been reading through old US Passport Renewal threads and obviously the process is not fun.  But unfortunately this year is the year I need to do it and this is the time I need to do it.  So onward with questions as what looks to be a straightforward process, given what I'm reading in pass threads, is anything but intuitive.  I'd like to get the application filled out and mailed out by next week.

So I'll start the questions:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I read the paying the $130 application fee via Pay.gov does not work here in Thailand.
I've just done a test run to see if Thailand shows up or not.  It seems to show (see screenshot).  So has anyone who has done a renewal recently been able to successfully submit this form?

Screenshotfrom2024-05-2720-00-02.png.f5f04be9dc1784d1fbf7562c5f03f3fa.png
(I'm not punching it in yet and paying as I want to see what other surprises I run into while filling out the application).
Regarding pictures:
I had US Passport pictures made today in Chiang Mai.  Got them home and measured them.  They are suppose to be:

The correct size of a passport photo is:

2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) 

Head must be between 1 -1 3/8 inches (25 - 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head 

Mine are
2.25 x 2.25 inches
Head is 1 1/2 from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head

Obviously the picture I received do not fit the requirements.  So - off to a different photo store to try again tomorrow. 
I knew this was going to be an issue.  No surprises at all - it is an issue. How do you go to a place that says they understand how to correct print US passport photos - and then they botch it?

😕 Welcome to US Passport Renewal Hell. 
I've checked the US Passport picture that I had made in 2015 (yeah, I still have it).  Measured the photo and it is exactly the correct measurements. 
Tomorrow I will check to make sure that photos have the correct measurement before leaving the shop - and - I won't be using the place I had today's photos made again.  And I'll take the "good" passport photo with the "bad" one for comparison, and bring a tape measure too boot. 

Regarding the  Thailand Post Courier Pass Back envelope fee ฿100 THB:
What forms of payment does this application take.  I read another post where someone could not get the application to accept a payment.
So what sort of payments are accepted. 

Right at the moment I can't find out because - I can't create an account. 

Surprise, surprise, surprise - Welcome to US Passport Renewal Hell. 🙄

Screenshotfrom2024-05-2720-37-53.png.631b708d914db418acb0c8758adf3671.png

I recently did 3 passport renewals all by mail. You seem to either not be able to read or perhaps unable to interpret what you read. They post photos or how to make payment. How to do the mail. 

You can get a bank draft to send payment. They show photos of it and the banks you can use. Then you can get a prepaid envelope if i remember correctly to have them mail it back.