Servers Wanting Me To Move Seats

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Thailand does not really do reception properly

They mostly do if you bother to tell them how many people your party contains.

I personally detest people, who are on their own, spend next to nothing but want to occupy a table for 6.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

They mostly do if you bother to tell them how many people your party contains.

I personally detest people, who are on their own, spend next to nothing but want to occupy a table for 6.

Why don’t you sit where the receptionist guides you to then? 

19 hours ago, JimTripper said:

What is the proper thing to do, move where they say, get up and leave, refuse with a smile and remain seated, or start asking for a reason in front of other customers?

Form a committee! Get to the bottom of this most serious issue! :whistling:

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, 2baht said:

Form a committee! Get to the bottom of this most serious issue! :whistling:

It's your turn to clean the toilets this week. Please excuse yourself from the meeting early. I look forward to your input at the next meeting. Soap and scrubber is in the closet and you will need to order some more deodorant.

20 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Often when I enter a restaurant in Thailand and sit down the server will come over and gesture for me to switch seats. Even when the venue is uncrowded and I have my pick of tables. Does not happen at streetside places, it's always at nicer more expensive places.

I don't like sitting where others want me to sit. I just refuse with a smile, but the refusal is uncomfortable. It opens the door to them possibly asking me to leave the restaurant (though have never had it happen).

Also, it's never explained why they want me to move because of the language barrier and also it causes some friction to ask why. Whether it's a "you may be more comfortable over here" or a "that seat is a status seat and reserved" or an anxiety thing like "I have to do something, but I don't know what, so I play with seating when someone comes in to break the ice" thing.

What is the proper thing to do, move where they say, get up and leave, refuse with a smile and remain seated, or start asking for a reason in front of other customers?

I suggest you increase your medication if that is all that upsets you.😀

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

It's your turn to clean the toilets this week. Please excuse yourself from the meeting early. I look forward to your input at the next meeting. Soap and scrubber is in the closet and you will need to order some more deodorant.

Not this old black duck, Jimmy! And please, can you sit at the back? :thumbsup:

45 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

Are you sure it is "often"?

I have lived here for more than 20 years all over Thailand and never experienced being asked to move to another table.

Ditto. This is a non-existent issue.

• Agree 1

This happens to me quite often when I go into a relatively quiet (or, more often than not, empty) restaurant alone and take a table for four.

When they ask me to move, I ask why. If they say that the big table is for large groups only then I point out that the restaurant is currently not busy, and I offer to move should customers start to arrive.

That's usually accepted by the staff. But if they still insist on me moving then I comply by moving all the way to a different restaurant.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, JayClay said:

This happens to me quite often when I go into a relatively quiet (or, more often than not, empty) restaurant alone and take a table for four.

When they ask me to move, I ask why. If they say that the big table is for large groups only then I point out that the restaurant is currently not busy, and I offer to move should customers start to arrive.

That's usually accepted by the staff. But if they still insist on me moving then I comply by moving all the way to a different restaurant.

A "Table for four" is a different scenario

I arrive at a restaurant empty or otherwise, with three others and ask for a table for four - they seat me somewhere, often with a choice - end of story without drama or conflict!

Edited by ChrisKC
typo
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Exactly. That's where I get it as well, at relatively empty places where there is no obvious reason to move. I could understand the reason for a switch at a popular venue without needing to ask.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

A "Table for four" is a different scenario

I arrive at a restaurant empty or otherwise, with three others and ask for a table for four - they seat me somewhere, often with a choice - end of story without drama or conflict!

But I am not confused!

• Confused 1

I find that the staff often want me to sit close to other patrons, kind of 'fill in the gap' between tables. But I prefer privacy and to be alone. I have no interest in hearing other people eat or blather on about mundane issues. So when they are steering me towards a place like that, I simply point to an empty section and ask "Is there ok?" 99% of the time it is.s

21 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Often when I enter a restaurant in Thailand and sit down the server will come over and gesture for me to switch seats. Even when the venue is uncrowded and I have my pick of tables. Does not happen at streetside places, it's always at nicer more expensive places.

I don't like sitting where others want me to sit. I just refuse with a smile, but the refusal is uncomfortable. It opens the door to them possibly asking me to leave the restaurant (though have never had it happen).

Also, it's never explained why they want me to move because of the language barrier and also it causes some friction to ask why. Whether it's a "you may be more comfortable over here" or a "that seat is a status seat and reserved" or an anxiety thing like "I have to do something, but I don't know what, so I play with seating when someone comes in to break the ice" thing.

As being a european  I totally agree with you, you can sit wherever you want, but if you make a reservation it's a different story.

But in the usa they look at it differently in my experience, there you have to wait until they assign you a place.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

No, I don't get it why don't you ask why you need to move?

He clearly lacks basic social skills and awareness in general. Many long stayers here do actually, somehow.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

No, I don't get it why don't you ask why you need to move?

41 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

He clearly lacks basic social skills and awareness in general. Many long stayers here do actually, somehow.

Nah. I should not need to guess or ask why. Proper thing for the server to do is say excuse me could you please move for such and such a reason.

That way I know if the request is for my own comfort or an issue with the restaurant. I can choose my response accordingly, either move or go elsewhere.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

If you ask to be seated, then I highly doubt you're going to have a problem with being asked to move regardless of how many of you there are...

52 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

How do know and arrive at your assertion?

• Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Proper thing for the server to do is say excuse me could you please move for such and such a reason.

23 hours ago, JimTripper said:

it's never explained why they want me to move because of the language barrier

So maybe they told you and you didn't understand what they were saying?

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

When I walk into a resto I ignore any staff until I have seated myself at the table of my choosing (within reason of course, not gonna take up a giant table if alone). 

And by ignore, I mean not passive aggressively. More like a goofy buffalo trotting to whatever patch of grass it has spotted, smiling all the way.

If they then demand I move, I do - out of the restaurant and elsewhere.

Edited by Sandboxer

On 5/29/2024 at 11:29 AM, JimTripper said:

🤣 Lol, no typically it's towards a more central or obvious seat or in the middle of the room, which I don't like. However, I get the feeling it may be a power trip to just move me and not really about seat position. I chose my seat, so it's makes little sense to assume I would prefer a different seat.

I like unobtrusive seats in the corner or back or against the wall. I guess you could call them "quieter seats". They are not removed enough to be inconvenient for staff though.

Stop sitting on tables for 4 or 6..go the billy no mates table where they are asking you too

I don't think I've ever been asked to move in a restaurant except when extra friends showed up and a bigger table is required.  If I was asked to move, I would ask why and if the language barrier proved to be a problem, I would ask where.  I wouldn't accept a table next to the toilet entry/exit or next to entry door where the hot outside hits you every time the door is opened.  Other than that, I don't mind moving if it helps the servers.

• Like 1

In 20+ years here has happened to me probably less that ten times.  If staff indicate a table I don't want, most often when smokers are nearby, I just go to the one I do want.  I can't ever recall being refused.

Not that unusual in the US actually, especially in high-end restaurants where desirable tables are saved for regulars and celebs.

• Haha 1

On 5/30/2024 at 7:51 AM, ChrisKC said:

Are you sure it is "often"?

I have lived here for more than 20 years all over Thailand and never experienced being asked to move to another table.

Agree--14 years here, never asked to move, and my spouse and I eat out a lot.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, newnative said:

Agree--14 years here, never asked to move, and my spouse and I eat out a lot.

I must exude celebrity status since I'm being moved to a more conspicious table. Those of you who are never moved are pleebs.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 1