I was bored out of my mind in Pattaya

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Working for bullies sucks. I retired early and never been happier. I have more to do than I will be able to do before I die. When I lived in the family house in Lamphun I laid patio pavers, did plumbing, wiring and generally improved the house and surrounds. Gardening is a great past time.

Other than that there is photography, reading, on this forum, movies on DVD, art, hobbies of some sort.

If anyone is bored it's likely because they can't self motivate. Go help out at an orphanage, join a soi dog society, or similar. If bored, look at yourself first- are you motivated or just lazy and want to blame something else instead of yourself?

How is your life now and do you have a blueprint to follow?

Edited by susanlea

Just now, susanlea said:

How is your life and do you have a blueprint to follow?

I've never had a blue print since I tried farming- the hours are too long and the pay is rubbish. My dream at school was to be a farmer, but soon learned that to be a good life one needs to inherit a place or marry one, and neither were an option for me. After that I just did what came along. Military, Antarctica, nursing, working overseas as a nurse in Saudi and London, retiring early and moving to Thailand to be with the beloved till she wasn't loveable, divorce and back to live in NZ just in time for covid lockdown.

I joined up because I worked with an ex military guy on the farm and it seemed like a better option than working an 84 hour week for a pittance, went to Antarctica because I met a guy skiing that had been and it seemed interesting ( it was ). Went nursing because my unit helped out with disabled kids and I met some great nurses. Went to Saudi because nurses in NZ get paid a pittance, and went to work in London because had enough of Saudi and NZ nurses get paid a pittance. Started going to Thailand when in Saudi and fell in love with it. Fell in love with the wrong Thai woman and ended up leaving it as divorced and out of money ( can't get my pension there ).

Now I'm just waiting for the fat lady to sing and off on the last great adventure of my life.

Get up when I want, do what I want, eat what I want, sleep when I want. To pass the time I watch movies, go on here, do a bit of DIY ( I made some of my furniture myself ), raise Monarch butterfly's, do some gardening. While nothing I do is important, it pays to keep busy.

Am I bored- not a chance.

Would I like my life to be different- yes. I wanted to live in LOS till I died, but that's what happens when one marry s the wrong woman.

Would I like it to be different in NZ? I'd like to live by a beach, but that's way too expensive for a pensioner.

I'd like to have a small dog though, but not allowed where I live.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Probably, but the organisation you volunteer to help should help you with that.

Maybe, but probably not very common. It's also hard to get one for doing yardwork.

Edited by JimTripper

31 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've never had a blue print since I tried farming- the hours are too long and the pay is rubbish. My dream at school was to be a farmer, but soon learned that to be a good life one needs to inherit a place or marry one, and neither were an option for me. After that I just did what came along. Military, Antarctica, nursing, working overseas as a nurse in Saudi and London, retiring early and moving to Thailand to be with the beloved till she wasn't loveable, divorce and back to live in NZ just in time for covid lockdown.

I joined up because I worked with an ex military guy on the farm and it seemed like a better option than working an 84 hour week for a pittance, went to Antarctica because I met a guy skiing that had been and it seemed interesting ( it was ). Went nursing because my unit helped out with disabled kids and I met some great nurses. Went to Saudi because nurses in NZ get paid a pittance, and went to work in London because had enough of Saudi and NZ nurses get paid a pittance. Started going to Thailand when in Saudi and fell in love with it. Fell in love with the wrong Thai woman and ended up leaving it as divorced and out of money ( can't get my pension there ).

Now I'm just waiting for the fat lady to sing and off on the last great adventure of my life.

Get up when I want, do what I want, eat what I want, sleep when I want. To pass the time I watch movies, go on here, do a bit of DIY ( I made some of my furniture myself ), raise Monarch butterfly's, do some gardening. While nothing I do is important, it pays to keep busy.

Would I like my life to be different- yes. I wanted to live in LOS till I died, but that's what happens when one marry s the wrong woman.

Would I like it to be different in NZ? I'd like to live by a beach, but that's way too expensive for a pensioner.

Are you happy?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Will see for myself. After 3 weeks in Koh Chang have one month in Jomtiem. Bit with girlfriend bit without. Hope it's fun.  If like it I may come back for longer. 

3 weeks in koh chang is 2+ weeks too long, in Pattaya you have lot's of choice what to do, not so in koh Chang 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

3 weeks in koh chang is 2+ weeks too long, in Pattaya you have lot's of choice what to do, not so in koh Chang 

Not for me. After 9 months of hard work away from my girlfriend. Like happy time at beach and in nature. I'll look to live a normal life in Jomtiem with some fun added hopefully. Not expecting it to be super amazing. 

On 5/29/2024 at 3:58 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Im going for walks, I'm going for massage, I'm sitting by the pool ,I'm going to the gym ....

I don't like to drink or bars 

Could I live like this if I retired ?

No thanks 

You know how depressed I would be  sitting in a dark 21sqm room in the view talay?

You constantly winge about Pattaya but you keep going back, why is that ? you should be banned from Thailand anyway. Did you make anyone cry this visit after talking to them in a toilet ? Did you ever go to the prison here and give them Pyhsco advice. No you did not you are just full of Sh!t. Have you ever even been to Thailand ?  

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

New Zealand doesn't allow their citizens to get the old age pension overseas ???? 😮

1 minute ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Not for me. After 9 months of hard work away from my girlfriend. Like happy time at beach and in nature. I'll look to live a normal life in Jomtiem with some fun added hopefully. Not expecting it to be super amazing. 

Jomtien could be mixed with Koh Samet. I would add on Hua Hin and Kanchanaburi and would not commit a month to one location. One week is enough to see if you like it. I wonder if they will build an airport in Kanchanaburi in future as that would make it boom.

2 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Jomtien could be mixed with Koh Samet. I would add on Hua Hin and Kanchanaburi and would not commit a month to one location. One week is enough to see if you like it. I wonder if they will build an airport in Kanchanaburi in future as that would make it boom.

Thinking about Hua Hin now. If I'm serious about potentially retiring in Thailand I need to give each place a month I think at least to get a better feel for daily life. 

Posted (edited)

Today being a few days back on Australia from my 6 week boring trip...I'm so happy 😁 

I rose at 3pm after the nightshift cleaning the hospital stairways , 

I will spend sometime checking my emails ,on ASEAN ,do some cleaning , then I will go to the gym,come home eat dinner and off to work for 10p

Lovely routine and just think one week ago I was caged in a 21sqm room with old people on walking frames ,shouting outside ,slamming doors etc

I felt like the security guards at that view talay were like prison guards locking people in those box rooms 

Half the time I had to jump that back fence where the cafe is because my keycard wouldn't work 

Edited by georgegeorgia

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Thinking about Hua Hin now. If I'm serious about potentially retiring in Thailand I need to give each place a month I think at least to get a better feel for daily life. 

I think 1 to 2 weeks is enough to either eliminate it or include it as an option. Then go back again next time. I stayed in 5 different hotels in 5 different locations over 2 weeks. Three of those hotels offered monthly rates. By the 7th or 8th day I had a good idea about the city and by the end of 2 weeks I realised it is a nice city. The only limitations are wide food variety of Bangkok and limited nightlife. Everything else is good. The malls are good enough, there are good value condos. Some excellent gyms and cheaper than Bangkok. Golf courses, beaches and even mountains nearby. The city even has an airport but not sure what the plans are. A good room with pool and gym including weekly clean is 10,000 to 12,000. Cheaper if rent long term. VIP buses to Bangkok and numerous rideshare apps.

Edited by susanlea
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

13 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I'm going to try Hua Hin for a month. Rates on airbnb are much less for a month, usually similar to a couple weeks so no rush. Not into arriving without a place and searching for housing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I'm going to try Hua Hin for a month. Rates on airbnb are much less for a month, usually similar to a couple weeks so no rush. Not into arriving without a place and searching for housing.

Never been there but it seems to get mixed reviews. Ideally it is the best of both worlds - enough shops and fun but still not too chaotic or polluted. The beach gets mixed reviews but seems more swimmable that Pattaya area. Maybe further south is better still but could be too quiet without full time partner. 

22 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Today being a few days back on Australia from my 6 week boring trip...I'm so happy 😁 

I rose at 3pm after the nightshift cleaning the hospital stairways , 

I will spend sometime checking my emails ,on ASEAN ,do some cleaning , then I will go to the gym,come home eat dinner and off to work for 10p

Lovely routine and just think one week ago I was caged in a 21sqm room with old people on walking frames ,shouting outside ,slamming doors etc

I felt like the security guards at that view talay were like prison guards locking people in those box rooms 

Half the time I had to jump that back fence where the cafe is because my keycard wouldn't work 

10 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Never been there but it seems to get mixed reviews. Ideally it is the best of both worlds - enough shops and fun but still not too chaotic or polluted. The beach gets mixed reviews but seems more swimmable that Pattaya area. Maybe further south is better still but could be too quiet without full time partner. 

Nothing wrong with the beaches. They are all fairly good. At the southern beaches you have tables and chairs for food service. Not much traffic, air quality is good. Limited nightlife and food variety are the only two limitations I found.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Songkhla further south near Hat Yai is much better. Beautiful swimmable water and nice sand. It's a bit isolating though, lots of muslims who keep to themselves. I felt like I stood out too much when I was there to be comfortable living there long term (I don't like attracting attention). Has the mermaid sculpture on the beach.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Songkhla further south near Hat Yai is much better. Beautiful swimmable water and nice sand. It's a bit isolating though, lots of muslims who keep to themselves. I felt like I stood out too much when I was there to be comfortable living there long term. Has the mermaid sculpture on the beach.

The water quality in Hua Hin in the centre of town near the kite surfers was good. The beaches are actually very long in parts and not that many people. Anywhere from Soi 88 south was good for the beach. The beach at the northern end towards the airport was the worst.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

Don't forget to start a Hua Hin moaning thread

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

What are the rates? I would suggest south of soi 80 is good. The area north of the main night market isn't as good. There are three other night markets which are far better for sitting with tables and chairs. As a reference point near Market Village or south is the best part of town. Market Village has a good food court on the basement. Very cheap food and fairly good selection.

And the question remains though...

How long should we stay in ONE place on our vacation/holiday before one gets bored ?

6 weeks in Pattaya bored me ,I had to take side trips !

Hua Hin for how long ,a week??

Just now, georgegeorgia said:

How long should we stay in ONE place on our vacation/holiday before one gets bored ?

I would give it 2 weeks if you want to fully explore the city. I was never bored. Split time between gym, beach and eating.

If you are bored again you need to stay working.

Never liked Hua Hin. Landlocked with only one road in and out. Drive is too far from Bangkok compared to Pattaya. Beaches aren't idyllic. Boring. Small. Too many old x-pat retirees. Well, at least bob smith isn't there. I could go on, but that covers the main points. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

If you get bored in one location just keep moving, so a few days then go to the next place. Being in one location for too long can make some people think too much

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

If you get bored in one location just keep moving, so a few days then go to the next place. Being in one location for too long can make some people think too much

I would do that. Travel the world. The problem is cost.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I would do that. Travel the world. The problem is cost.

The cost really is not that much difference. Probably an extra 8,000 baht a month. I was actually surprised how cheap you could get a room with a pool and gym on a daily basis. Or if you give up those extras the range increases.