New Tax Rules for Expats in Thailand Spark Concern

webfact

29 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

How  does taxing expats on their pensions or other income help Thailands income inequality?

... and where exactly is the 'representation' going in line with that new income taxation? As that's how it works - except if it's nothing but another moneygrab.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Correct. The US SSc income is exempt by treaty and the pre 2024 savings are exempt by Por162.

A couple of members seem confused by the above, feel free to ask questions if you don't understand. One of them should do so before his ban takes effect!

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, Gknrd said:

Expats here are in denial plain and simple. In Thailand you have to do a yearly extension. I bet a dollar to donut it will be tired to the yearly extension..

I have to do a yearly extension which is actually in December. But here is a hypothetical scenario for you regarding a tax return being tied to an extension. Have a very large inheritance which started paying out beginning of year and final payment in November. Not subject to tax in Thailand. Can easily live on that without worrying about any other finances coming into Thailand and can just accept any tax on interest payments from the bank. Do not need to invest in markets etc so in essence, do not need to ever make a tax return.

Other expats could be in similar situations one way or another with shrewd investing before Jan 2024 ensuring there was enough funds here, so how could you tie the return and Immigration together?   

• Agree 1

From what I've read, US social security is not taxable. So I imagine I will file a tax return and provide Social Security documentation that my income matches the amount transferred here every month. That should require minimal math skills on the part of their tax dept. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, worrab said:

Other expats could be in similar situations one way or another with shrewd investing before Jan 2024 ensuring there was enough funds here, so how could you tie the return and Immigration together?   

Immigration knows whether you have remained in Thailand long enough to be a tax resident.

Therefore, if you are a known resident, Immigration *could* ask you for a copy of your tax return, when you request your annual extension.

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

Nonsense

Many people don't spend 180 days a year in the country and what if your extension is in December just before the end of the tax year - how they gonna get around that?

Many people DO spend 180+ days in Thailand - retirees, those with a Thai wife - and in answer to your question, it's not a one-off and they'd get you in December 2025.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Gknrd said:

Everyone is going to be different. But, for the majority of expats It is going to hit their capital gains. Or earned income from abroad from multiple fronts. I have heard allot of different stories. Don't think just because the US has a tax treaty with Thailand that SS won't be taxed.  The threshold in Thailand is much lower than in the US. 

But ask Mike Lister, he is the expert... hahaha

Taxation of US social security benefits would require that Thai marginal tax rates would have to be higher than US rates.

Even so, you wouldn't be liable for the entire amount, US tax payments would be deducted from Thai taxable amounts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, worrab said:

You are missing the point. If you do not need to make a tax return for whatever reason, the scenario I painted with inheritance or shrewd investing not needing to submit funds after Dec 2023, how can you be asked for it at renewal time? 

You are absolutely correct.

If you transmitted big money into Thailand prior to January 1, 2024, you don't have to worry about filling out a Thai tax return.

I personally wouldn't trust a Thai bank with that much money.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, motdaeng said:

the big open question is, will the new tax law be enforced by the tax revenue department?

Open question? I need to show tax returns every year to renew my work visa.

The enforcement you're looking for will be a visa denied. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1