New Tax Rules for Expats in Thailand Spark Concern

webfact

2 hours ago, Coxy said:

Looks like I will be spending at least 6 months in Cambodia or Laos.  I will not be donating anything to this government 

Bye

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

My feeling is that the answer is no.

But, it's possible.

But they don't need too. But they will call up every single transaction of the people they audit. Don't forget that how the system works: you declare, they audit randomly, if they catch you evading IT they will hurt you a lot. You can call this dissuasion, but that's what most countries do.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

how can you be so sure about that?

because for the moment nothing is sure about how, when or what will happen with the new tax law ...

It's my opinion, based on what I understand about the complexities involved and the lack of interdepartmental cooperation. It's a very big step with lots of hurdles that aren't easily removed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChasingTheSun said:

Doesn't apply to anyone bringing in capital derived prior to 2024:

Let's say I earn $100k in 2024 but have 5 million in the bank (outside Thailand) at the end of 2023. How do they know which money I am bring into Thailand?  5000000/100000 = 50 years of earnings before 2024!!!

2 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

But they don't need too. But they will call up every single transaction of the people they audit. Don't forget that how the system works: you declare, they audit randomly, if they catch you evading IT they will hurt you a lot. You can call this dissuasion, but that's what most countries do.

How would the Revenue Department find me to audit me?

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

So if I live off my capital and don’t bring any income in to Thailand, or earn any income here, do I still need to fill in a tax return? 

no taxable income to declare will be a nil return if so

already answered above....NO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, worrab said:

I have checked the situation with large amounts in a Thai bank and it is just as safe there as anywhere else. There is more than enough protection in place. The only time it could go wrong is if the bank went bankrupt which is highly unlikely with the big banks.

Ignorance is bliss.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

At some point you are going to present your passport to somebody, either on the way in or the way out. At that point, they found you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

You should open a new thread on this topic.

But I could say banks (overseas and local), Immigration, neighbours, etc..

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:
7 minutes ago, 10baht said:

which money I am bring into Thailand?  5000000/100000 = 50 years of earnings before 2024!!!

How do they know? The question is, what are you going to declare and say it is? It's not as though you remit some money to Thailand and the TRD has to guess what it is. The purpose of the tax return is for you to tell them. Their job is to determine if they believe you and whether to ask for more evidence.

Good point, so I guess I report a truthful "0" earnings from 2024 was brought into Thailand. Thanks

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

If audited, you would have to prove that money you transmitted into Thailand came from pre-2024 savings.

They will not have the money to pay for audits. And how do you prove a negative?

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

So if I live off my capital and don’t bring any income in to Thailand, or earn any income here, do I still need to fill in a tax return? 

no taxable income to declare will be a nil return if so

If you don't bring any money into Thailand, no need to file a tax return, unless Immigration Department demands one (unlikely).

1 hour ago, sungod said:

Loads of hype at the moment, just have to sit back and see what works and what doesn't. I've been here a considerable time and really not worried about this, they cant even enforce people to wear crash helmets or stop at red lights. I haven't seen any reports on major recruiting for the revenue department to deal with all the extra work. Government departments are still using Hotmail and gmail as their addresses, there's efficiency.......

In part, what you mention is true but their trump card is the immigration office.
If they leave the control to them it becomes a bit more difficult it seems to me, but even I am not worried, I have no income from abroad and I am not doing any work here either.

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

Nonsense

Many people don't spend 180 days a year in the country and what if your extension is in December just before the end of the tax year - how they gonna get around that?

Oh really, based on ?

3 to 4 million expats

Thailand is a country rich in heritage and culture, which is highly popular among expats. As of 2023, around 3 to 4 million expats live and work in Thailand, which make up approximately 5% to 6% of the total population. Thailand is ruled by a monarchy with a government in place.Jun 13, 2566 BE

Just now, 10baht said:

They will not have the money to pay for audits. And how do you prove a negative?

If there are no audits, the system fails.

Certainly, there would be no expectation that Farangs would file tax returns.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jayboy said:

Seriously misleading.Global Payment Agencies certainly do have reporting responsibilities and Central Banks like BOT will use that information regarding overall financial flows as part of their arsenal.But there is no question of routine individual transactions being monitored.If one used a credit card issued by a Thai bank there might in the future be some monitoring process leading to questions if anything seemed unusual - but in my opinion this is unlikely.As for cards issued by foreign banks with settlement made overseas, the suggestion that any Thai authority would be monitoring let alone acting on findings on individual transactions, is just plain ridiculous.

The implication is that any Thai business that receives payment via foreign credit cards doesn't have to declare those payments, since an audit can't flag them.

Great news for hotels and restaurants.

9 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Ignorance is bliss.

Not a case of ignorance. What facts can you produce to say the money is no safer here than anywhere else. 
My bank manager here can give the same reassurances as my bank in UK!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

If there are no audits, the system fails.

Nothing new to Thailand, failed schemes , like the 300 baht tax on airline arrivals they have been trying to do for years?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 10baht said:

No need to prove a negative. Simply document that money transferred into Thailand was earned prior to 2024.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Seriously misleading.Global Payment Agencies certainly do have reporting responsibilities and Central Banks like BOT will use that information regarding overall financial flows as part of their arsenal.But there is no question of routine individual transactions being monitored.If one used a credit card issued by a Thai bank there might in the future be some monitoring process leading to questions if anything seemed unusual - but in my opinion this is unlikely.As for cards issued by foreign banks with settlement made overseas, the suggestion that any Thai authority would be monitoring let alone acting on findings on individual transactions, is just plain ridiculous.

I never suggested that individual transactions were being monitored, only that the capability exists.

A foreign credit/debit card transaction has a large footprint. The merchant has a record, the merchants bank has a record for settlement purposes, Visa/Mastercard has a copy and the central bank gets a copy.

48 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

NOT nonsense! Immigration doesn't care how many days you spend in Thailand - if you are filing for an annual extension, they will probably be instructed to require the retiree to file a tax return for approval. Add to that how every immigration office follows their own interpretation of the rules and you have a recipe for the perfect cluster kcuf.

But as I have stated elsewhere in this topic, what if you do not need to file a tax return?? There are those who would not need to.

• Agree 2