5 year multiple entry DTV visa (Destination Thailand) from 2024-xx-xx

7 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Pedantic or what? I'm currently on a non-imm O retirement visa that I applied for on the World wide Thai  e-visa site advertised as follows so please tell us again how a Thai Retirement Visa doesn't exist?

In your own words "i'm currently on a Non Imm O".

You applied for that for the purpose/reason of retirement.

Similarly, you could have applied for the Non Imm 0-A, or Non Imm 0-X for the purpose/reason of retirement.

Then we have the 'retirement' visas, mentioned by agents, Immigration officials, which are temporary extensions of your period of stay, and permits, not visas.

It's not pedantic, to be specific.

Nothing more confusing than when a member asks a question and states, I have a 'retirement visa'   🤪

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Liquorice said:

You can apply to change ones Immigration status inside Thailand, but not a visa per se.

My passport would disagree with you. I have a non-immigrant VISA issued by an immigration office inside Thailand stamped into my passport. That visa was the prerequisite to changing to a non-immigrant entry while in the country, so as far as immigration is concerned, they perform two steps (issue the visa, use the visa).

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Caldera said:

My passport would disagree with you. I have a non-immigrant VISA issued by an immigration office inside Thailand stamped into my passport. That visa was the prerequisite to changing to a non-immigrant entry while in the country, so as far as immigration is concerned, they perform two steps (issue the visa, use the visa).

It's a Non Imm stamp that denotes your change of Immigration stautus from 'Tourist' to 'Non Immigrant'.

It is not a valid visa per se.

You cannot apply for a 1 year extension of your period of stay unless you have Non Immigrant status.

Edited by Liquorice
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Three different entities can issue a NON-Immigrant visa:

• Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Bangkok)
  • Immigration Bureau (Thailand nationwide)
  • Royal Thai Embassies and Consulates (worldwide)
  • Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, george said:

Three different entities can issue a NON-Immigrant visa:

• Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Bangkok)
  • Immigration Bureau (Thailand nationwide)
  • Royal Thai Embassies and Consulates (worldwide)

By definition, a visa allows you to travel to a port of entry, airport or land border crossing, and request permission of the Immigration entry clearance officers to enter that specific Country.

Thailands internal Immigration has a unique system in that it allows foreigners who enter as a Tourist, but wish to extend their stay for 1 year or more, to apply to change their Immigration entry status from Tourist to Non O, in order to apply for a 1 year extension of stay.

The 'Non Imm O' stamp issued by Thai Immigration is immediately 'used' and does not permit travel or entry to Thailand, unlike a visa issued by a Thai Embassy. It does little more than denote your new Immigration status.

8.thumb.jpg.b6d7ed54bc058b5b10adaaf91231b01c.jpg

It grants a period of stay of 90 days, the same as if you entered on a Non Imm O visa (granting time to meet the financials for a 1 year extension), but you'd require a re-entry permit if you intended to leave and re-enter Thailand during that 90 day period.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Liquorice said:

It's a Non Imm stamp that denotes your change of Immigration stautus from 'Tourist' to 'Non Immigrant'.

You cannot apply for a 1 year extension of your period of stay unless you have Non Immigrant status.

That's just nonsense, the stamp clearly says VISA.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

That's just nonsense, the stamp clearly says VISA.

It also clearly states "This visa must be utilised on the date of it issuance", with a 'USED' stamp accroos it.

In itself (per se), it is not a valid visa, it merely denotes your change of Immigration stautus to Non Immigrant category O, with no mention of permitted number of entries, unlike a visa issued by a Thai Embassy/Consulate.

For all the stamps, all you have at the end of the day is a permitted period of stay for 90 days.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Caldera said:

What's with this "per se" nonsense, in immigration's own words it's a visa and they charge you the same 2,000 baht fee as for a non-immigrant visa applied for abroad.

A visa issued by a Thai Embassy/Consulate is 'valid' to be used to enter Thailand.

Immigration do not issue 'valid' visas, being my point at hand.

It therefore follows the DTV (Destination Thailand visa) will only be available from Thai Embassies/Consulates.

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

It therefore follows the DTV (Destination Thailand visa) will only be available from Thai Embassies/Consulates.

Please be a bit pedantic about the topic and provide the source.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

Thailand! I need updates on the situation!

The latest update I saw a few days ago was that the government was still debating the DTV and that an announcement may be made in September, presumably of this year.

In the meantime, we can all enjoy the amusement of the speculations of all kinds and the often false reports in the news media, blogs and social media.

• Like 2

Utter nonsense saying this visa is for business type nomads. 

Any sort of top tier immigrant would easily get the Thai Elite visa.

This is only going to attract backpackers with a laptop. It's going to contribute to a mass influx of low spending visitors who are going to create havoc on local infrustructure. 

Edited by DonniePeverley
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Utter nonsense saying this visa is for business type nomads. 

Any sort of top tier immigrant would easily get the Thai Elite visa.

This is only going to attract backpackers with a laptop. It's going to contribute to a mass influx of low spending visitors who are going to create havoc on local infrustructure. 

The Elite visa is neither meant for "immigrants" (it doesn't provide a path towards permanent residency or Thai citizenship) nor does it allow you to work in Thailand. It's essentially a long-stay tourist visa.

So in principle, having a dedicated visa for digital nomads isn't a bad idea. They tried this before with the Smart visa - and failed miserably. Time will tell if they get it right with the DTV.

You're right that there's a fine line between being too restrictive or attracting just about any backpacker with a laptop. Having to show 500,000 baht (in some form, specifics unknown as of now) seems to be their idea to address this.

On 6/8/2024 at 9:22 AM, Liquorice said:

Strange because it clearly says "VISA" on it.

Nonbinside.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

The Elite visa is neither meant for "immigrants" (it doesn't provide a path towards permanent residency or Thai citizenship) nor does it allow you to work in Thailand. It's essentially a long-stay tourist visa.

So in principle, having a dedicated visa for digital nomads isn't a bad idea. They tried this before with the Smart visa - and failed miserably. Time will tell if they get it right with the DTV.

You're right that there's a fine line between being too restrictive or attracting just about any backpacker with a laptop. Having to show 500,000 baht (in some form, specifics unknown as of now) seems to be their idea to address this.

Obviously SkyNews isn't an official website of Thai Immigration but this is what they published as the requirements 3-4 days ago.... 

Those with the multiple-entry visa are given the right to stay for 180 days a year, with an option to extend it for another 180 days, for up to five years for the cost of 10,000 baht (£213.75).

While the initial fee is £213.75, workers need to leave and re-enter the country every 180 days and pay an additional £212.20 each time.

This part confused me as they seem to be saying you can do a border bounce to get another 180 days BUT need to pay almost another 10,000 THB each time... If it is a multi-entry visa you shouldn't need to pay - Maybe they're getting it confused with an Extension but I don't understand the difference in costs . 

Full details on how to apply are still pending, but some information on the requirements have been released.

To apply for the visa, you must:

• Be at least 20;
  • Have enough money to pay for the visa;
  • Prove you have at least £10,687 in your bank account;
  • Provide proof of employment with a registered company.

I haven't seen this published on any official Thai Immigration site but Siam Legal, ThaiEmbassy & Bangkok Globe are publishing the same criteria, though one of them could have made it up & the other's re-reported it.

https://news.sky.com/story/thailand-seeking-digital-nomads-heres-what-you-need-to-know-13151190

https://www.globe.co.th/news/thailand/thailand-unveils-visa-for-digital-nomads-with-upto-5-year-stay/

Siam Legal says: 

• Holders of the DTV may stay in Thailand for up to 180 days per visit and can extend the visa once per visit for a further 180 days. Which suggests you can use it to live/work in Thailand for almost 5.5 years by doing an extension every 180 days & a Border Bounce every 360 days...  

https://siam-legal.com/travel-to-thailand/dtv-visa-thailand-the-new-thailand-digital-nomad-visa/

Edited by Mike Teavee

My take. It will be 180 days in any calendar year other than the one year you can extend in country for.

I think it is really unlikely that they will give a near continuous stay for 5 years by doing back to back border runs. That has not been the trend. Look at the requirements for other 5 years such as Privilege/elite and OX

The "registered company" will be the devil in the detail. I think certain revenue requirements and/or size will be required as per BOI remote worker visa, but likely less stringent. Forget about off the shelf companies. IMO this is not aimed at the Chiang Mai elephant pants digital nomad, but at bona fide company remote workers.

That said, a more generous interpretation might be that you can stay 180 days, then extend for another 180 and then leave and come back and extend in the new calendar year and repeat the process for 5 years i.e. extension every 180 days & a Border Bounce every 360 days...  as per Siam Legal interpretation.

Edited by mokwit
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

How many multiples of the average Thai ("low spending") salary, is beneficial to Thailand?  Keep in mind, there are no handouts here, so no downside to the govt / finances.  

How many Thais would you like to see de-employed, by refusing entry to those with money to spend, to make Thailand more "exclusive" to suit you?  I know many Thais who lost jobs from past visa "crackdowns" who would disagree - if their lives matter to you.

Edited by Rob Browder
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Rob Browder said:

I know many Thais who lost jobs from past visa "crackdowns" who would disagree

Examples?

2 hours ago, Rob Browder said:

Keep in mind, there are no handouts here, so no downside to the govt / finances.  

Do visitors use roads, street lights, refuse collection etc? Do they pay for those services?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Obviously SkyNews isn't an official website of Thai Immigration but this is what they published as the requirements 3-4 days ago.... 

Those with the multiple-entry visa are given the right to stay for 180 days a year, with an option to extend it for another 180 days, for up to five years for the cost of 10,000 baht (£213.75).

While the initial fee is £213.75, workers need to leave and re-enter the country every 180 days and pay an additional £212.20 each time.

This part confused me as they seem to be saying you can do a border bounce to get another 180 days BUT need to pay almost another 10,000 THB each time... If it is a multi-entry visa you shouldn't need to pay - Maybe they're getting it confused with an Extension but I don't understand the difference in costs . 

Full details on how to apply are still pending, but some information on the requirements have been released.

To apply for the visa, you must:

• Be at least 20;
  • Have enough money to pay for the visa;
  • Prove you have at least £10,687 in your bank account;
  • Provide proof of employment with a registered company.

I haven't seen this published on any official Thai Immigration site but Siam Legal, ThaiEmbassy & Bangkok Globe are publishing the same criteria, though one of them could have made it up & the other's re-reported it.

https://news.sky.com/story/thailand-seeking-digital-nomads-heres-what-you-need-to-know-13151190

https://www.globe.co.th/news/thailand/thailand-unveils-visa-for-digital-nomads-with-upto-5-year-stay/

Siam Legal says: 

• Holders of the DTV may stay in Thailand for up to 180 days per visit and can extend the visa once per visit for a further 180 days. Which suggests you can use it to live/work in Thailand for almost 5.5 years by doing an extension every 180 days & a Border Bounce every 360 days...  

https://siam-legal.com/travel-to-thailand/dtv-visa-thailand-the-new-thailand-digital-nomad-visa/

I suspect Sky just woke up and cut and paste some stuff from other outlets who also don't actually know anything.  By far the best bet is to wait and see if and when this visa and the other changes ever get implemented, I reckon there are clever people trying to figure out what they are offering as we speak, as they also are unsure.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

Strange because it clearly says "VISA" on it.

Try doing an entry on it.
A valid visa permits at least one entry.

You had a visa for about 10 seconds until they stamped 'USED' across it, at which point you're left with Non Immigrant status, but not a valid visa.

• Confused 2

10 hours ago, Caldera said:

You're right that there's a fine line between being too restrictive or attracting just about any backpacker with a laptop.

What's wrong about a backpacker with a laptop?

He was able to afford to come, he is able to afford his life, and he won't bother you nor anybody else. And even normal Thais and not the 'conglomerates' profit as he will be the guy spending all his income in Airbnbs owned by middle class Thais, family restaurants, street food and taxis and not sit on his 1mb 'view talay' balcony with his Makro food and beer and being grumpy.

I just don't get it why this is an issue.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, mokwit said:

My take. It will be 180 days in any calendar year other than the one year you can extend in country for.

I think it is really unlikely that they will give a near continuous stay for 5 years by doing back to back border runs. That has not been the trend. Look at the requirements for other 5 years such as Privilege/elite and OX

The "registered company" will be the devil in the detail. I think certain revenue requirements and/or size will be required as per BOI remote worker visa, but likely less stringent. Forget about off the shelf companies. IMO this is not aimed at the Chiang Mai elephant pants digital nomad, but at bona fide company remote workers.

That said, a more generous interpretation might be that you can stay 180 days, then extend for another 180 and then leave and come back and extend in the new calendar year and repeat the process for 5 years i.e. extension every 180 days & a Border Bounce every 360 days...  as per Siam Legal interpretation.

Let you eat your words later

8 hours ago, mokwit said:

I dont think so because this would eliminate the retirement visa. 

My interpretation is you are only allowed ONE extension in FIVE years. 

You are only allowed 360 days TOTAL in FIVE years. (180 + 180)

So if you come Jan 1st, 2025, you stay 180 days and then extend another 180 days, you need to leave Thailand and you can not come back until 2030.

Not on this visa, anyway. 

Edited by save the frogs
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

I dont think so because this would eliminate the retirement visa.

No, because retirees are not digital nomads and thus IOs will be very likely to ask you to choose the right visa appropriate for your age.

4 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

My interpretation is you are only allowed ONE extension in FIVE years. 

You are only allowed 360 days TOTAL in FIVE years. (180 + 180)

So if you come Jan 1st, 2025, you stay 180 days and then extend another 180 days, you need to leave Thailand and you can not come back until 2030.

Not on this visa, anyway.

This makes no sense. Why the 5 year period. Why call it 'multiple entry' visa.

It will be either 180 days per visit or per year + 180 days extension per visit or per year.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, AreYouGerman said:

This makes no sense. Why the 5 year period.

Because too many people would stay permanently for the 5 years on border runs and I dont think Thailand can accomodate such a mass amount of digital nomads. 

Some people are predicting 1 billion digital nomads by 2035. 

Edited by save the frogs
  • Agree 1

Just now, save the frogs said:

Because too many people would stay permanently for the 5 years on border runs and I dont think Thailand can accomodate such a mass amount of digital nomads. 

Why not? Remember why they are planning this visa. Exactly for that reason!

But I doubt it will be masses. The competition has increased while Thailand was sleeping. Also, not everybody can afford this lifestyle, the masses are definitely still bound to wageslaving it away in their passport country and just dreaming about it while watching youtubers.

• Like 1