5 year multiple entry DTV visa (Destination Thailand) from 2024-xx-xx

18 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

The local Thai's will suffer. 

With thousands more job and business opportunities?  How will they "suffer more"?  

14 hours ago, JoeyMac said:

A government first job is to protect it's citizens - which is massively important in a developing nation.

Ok - then they should cancel all L "work visas" and bust those hiring foreigners illegally in a massive crackdown. 

Also, require all Non-B foreign-workers in skilled-jobs to be training a Thai who then replaces them at their job.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

With thousands more job and business opportunities?  How will they "suffer more"?  

Ok - then they should cancel all L "work visas" and bust those hiring foreigners illegally in a massive crackdown. 

Also, require all Non-B foreign-workers in skilled-jobs to be training a Thai who then replaces them at their job.

You are assuming every no nomad will be using hospitality. Then there is pressure you place on the infrustructure by being in a country, pollution, the mess, the ecological damange, turning away 'quality tourists' who don't want to be surrounded by masses. 

I have an idea then if you like this approach - open up the UK even more. Let every man and their dog come - because you know there will be jobs for British people. 

Yeah sounds nonsensical doesn't it ?

17 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

You are assuming every no nomad will be using hospitality. Then there is pressure you place on the infrustructure by being in a country, pollution, the mess, the ecological damange, turning away 'quality tourists' who don't want to be surrounded by masses. 

I have an idea then if you like this approach - open up the UK even more. Let every man and their dog come - because you know there will be jobs for British people. 

Yeah sounds nonsensical doesn't it ?

In the USA, there is no "income / savings" check at our border - even get free airfare to where ever they want to go. 

And, no one stops them from working - including illegally - which is the primary reason for the problems.  I assume UK is similar with the channel crossers? 

The 2nd problem in those countries is handouts.  If they were forced to spend foreign-funds or be immediately deported, problem solved.

In Thailand, there are no handouts, and their spending would pay for infrastructure via VAT taxes.  I hope anyone employing foreigners illegally goes to prison, which solves that problem - vs whack-a-mole with the illegal-workers, which does not.  Also, deport for "vagrancy" - as has happened to some foreign panhandlers.

What nonsense!

To apply for a DTV visa from another country, you need to deposit 500,000 baht into a Thai bank account. But how can you open a Thai bank account if you don't have a visa? Alright, I can come to Thailand on a 60-day stamp, but banks don't open accounts if you come as a tourist. (You need a long-term visa, for example, a student visa.)

So, in order to apply for a DTV visa, you need to go to Thailand, apply for a student visa, open a bank account, then deposit 500,000 baht and leave the country to apply for a DTV visa?

Are you sure that an account from Payoneer.com (for example) wouldn't be acceptable?

Are there any other ways?

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, anrcaccount said:

No need for those tricks. Simply enrol in a cooking class, or music festival!

Get the 5 year visa stamped into your passport and you're good to go. 

Based on how visas operate there will be no re checking after the visa is in the passport, you're good for 5 years. 

It doesn't go in your passport.  Assuming it's like the tourist visa, it's a one page PDF you print out and show immigration.  Then they stamp your passport and hand write the visa type.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, shdmn said:

It doesn't go in your passport.  Assuming it's like the tourist visa, it's a one page PDF you just print out and show immigration. They stamp your passport and hand write the visa type you are using.  When I enter on a tourist visa they use the exact same stamp as they use when you enter on a visa waiver, then hand write "TV" on it.

Sure, OK, but the point remains the same.

I would note many long term visas are affixed into the passport. Entry stamps are separate. 

We'll see how they do the DTV very soon.

4 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

Sure, OK, but the point remains the same.

I would note many long term visas are affixed into the passport. Entry stamps are separate. 

We'll see how they do the DTV very soon.

I just told you how they are going to do it.  😒

Edited by shdmn

What's the point of paying for another 10k extension when you can do a border run and come back with a free stamp for another 6 months? If am not mistaken haha

It's quite funny that DTV is already in effect and seems that nobody knows even basic functionality of stays/extensions and entry requirements.

I *hope* it's as easy as buying  refundable ticket to 3 day music festival and show bank account of 500K and then get 360 days  in Thailand every year with 1 border run, for five years, at cost 10k per visa and each extension.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, martyn1 said:

It's quite funny that DTV is already in effect and seems that nobody knows even basic functionality of stays/extensions and entry requirements.

I *hope* it's as easy as buying  refundable ticket to 3 day music festival and show bank account of 500K and then get 360 days  in Thailand every year with 1 border run, for five years, at cost 10k per visa and each extension.

It's been in effect for 1 day - so give it time. 

I think your hope will be pretty close to the reality. This looks like a free for all. 

I was close to buy a Thai Elite last year before the big price increase and the new tax laws.

I am glad I didn't do it

It seems possible to apply via the evisa website : https://www.thaievisa.go.th/visa/dtv-visa

For the embassy in France they ask :

Documents to be submitted online:

Passport page related to civil status (The passport must be valid for at least 6 months from the departure date). Official color ID photo (photo booth) taken within the last 6 months.

Proof of residence in France dated within the last 3 months for European passports (electricity bill, mobile phone bill, internet access bill) and residence permit if you are not a European citizen.

Official bank statement showing a minimum credit balance of 15,000 euros dated within the last 30 days.

Proof according to the purpose of travel mentioned above: Employment contract / Employment certificate from the company in France specifying that you are still employed and paid by the company during your stay in Thailand. Alternatively, a professional portfolio presenting the status of digital nomad, remote worker, highly skilled worker, or freelancer. Invitation/acceptance letter regarding the activity of the host organization in Thailand or the appointment letter from the hospital. For spouse/child, proof of marriage or kinship with the DTV visa holder (marriage certificate, birth certificate, or family record book) as well as the passport page and the DTV visa of the latter.

The visa fee is 350 euros.

• Like 1

I have a mate currently on an Ed visa for Thai language, which he has 3 months left.

Is it really as easy as getting a letter from his current school, show statement for equivalent 500k in his home bank, and he gets a 5 year multi-entry visa that provides 180 days per entry for only 10k baht.

So when his current Thai course ends in 3 months, he never has to enroll again as he will have a 5 year visa. Something is missing in the detail?

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, MrSer said:

What nonsense!

To apply for a DTV visa from another country, you need to deposit 500,000 baht into a Thai bank account. But how can you open a Thai bank account if you don't have a visa? Alright, I can come to Thailand on a 60-day stamp, but banks don't open accounts if you come as a tourist. (You need a long-term visa, for example, a student visa.)

So, in order to apply for a DTV visa, you need to go to Thailand, apply for a student visa, open a bank account, then deposit 500,000 baht and leave the country to apply for a DTV visa?

Are you sure that an account from Payoneer.com (for example) wouldn't be acceptable?

Are there any other ways?

Chill out. You do not need to deposit 500k into a Thai bank account. Follow the instructions provided by the embassy where you will apply for the visa, which will require you to show evidence that you have the prescribed equivalent funds in your local currency in your overseas account.

Edited by Karma80
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, El Matador said:

I was close to buy a Thai Elite last year before the big price increase and the new tax laws.

I am glad I didn't do it

It seems possible to apply via the evisa website : https://www.thaievisa.go.th/visa/dtv-visa

For the embassy in France they ask :

Documents to be submitted online:

Passport page related to civil status (The passport must be valid for at least 6 months from the departure date). Official color ID photo (photo booth) taken within the last 6 months.

Proof of residence in France dated within the last 3 months for European passports (electricity bill, mobile phone bill, internet access bill) and residence permit if you are not a European citizen.

Official bank statement showing a minimum credit balance of 15,000 euros dated within the last 30 days.

Proof according to the purpose of travel mentioned above: Employment contract / Employment certificate from the company in France specifying that you are still employed and paid by the company during your stay in Thailand. Alternatively, a professional portfolio presenting the status of digital nomad, remote worker, highly skilled worker, or freelancer. Invitation/acceptance letter regarding the activity of the host organization in Thailand or the appointment letter from the hospital. For spouse/child, proof of marriage or kinship with the DTV visa holder (marriage certificate, birth certificate, or family record book) as well as the passport page and the DTV visa of the latter.

The visa fee is 350 euros.

That is not a free for all by any means.  They want to see that somebody has a job or are a genuine freelancer.  It remains to be seen what will be accepted as proof for a "professional portfolio."  Plus, they will need 15k Euro's in the bank, which a heck of a lot of people simply don't have.  If you were able to apply for this within Thailand at a local visa shop then that would have the potential to be abused, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

A free for all is anybody over 50 turning up and going to an agent who "facilitates" a Visa they don't have the money for.  

• Agree 2

Just wonder if it would be possible to use wise for the 500k money requirements. And if it would be enough to just upload an employment contract without an employment certificate from the company

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

I have a mate currently on an Ed visa for Thai language, which he has 3 months left.

Is it really as easy as getting a letter from his current school, show statement for equivalent 500k in his home bank, and he gets a 5 year multi-entry visa that provides 180 days per entry for only 10k baht.

So when his current Thai course ends in 3 months, he never has to enroll again as he will have a 5 year visa. Something is missing in the detail?

It is designed as an open door immigration policy. The whole 'course' nonsense is just to keep up pretenses so the population doesn't catch on. Porperty developers in Thailand are giddy like it's Christmas. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Caldera said:

Where did you get that income figure from? Or the fact that you can qualify for the visa by showing a monthly income instead of a 500k baht bank balance?

Someone posted it above , am trying to figure out if this is the case lol makes it way easier.

2 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

What's the point of paying for another 10k extension when you can do a border run and come back with a free stamp for another 6 months? If am not mistaken haha

Most probably will do border runs.  They probably did that on purpose to reduce the load on immigration offices.  I think all these new visa changes will help do that.

3 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

Where did you hear that extensions cost 10k?

52 minutes ago, shdmn said:

Most probably will do border runs.  They probably did that on purpose to reduce the load on immigration offices.  I think all these new visa changes will help do that.

There is something weird about this DTV visa, I mean, immigration like to make money but they let people do a border bounce for free? And the cost of this visa is just 10k for 5 years, i could apply already as i already have more than 500k on my bank account but maybe most of digital nomads do not have this financial requirements? Just wonder

16 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

There is something weird about this DTV visa, I mean, immigration like to make money but they let people do a border bounce for free? And the cost of this visa is just 10k for 5 years, i could apply already as i already have more than 500k on my bank account but maybe most of digital nomads do not have this financial requirements? Just wonder

Most people will be trying to qualify for the remote work option.  I just went on the eVisa site and created an application and there is a requirement for documentation to prove that. It sounds like they want some fairly official documentation of that, so some people may have a problem qualifying depending on what they are doing.    I doubt they will accept people showing screenshots of their youtube channels or whatever.

Edited by shdmn

4 minutes ago, shdmn said:

You have to prove you are a digital nomad. I just went on the eVisa site and created an application and there is a requirement for that documentation.  I doubt they will accept people showing screenshots of their youtube channels.  It sounds like they want some sort of work that is more formal than that so some people may have a problem qualifying for that.  

Normally freelancer that are working for a company abroad have an employment contract, isn't it?

1 minute ago, Jack1988 said:

Normally freelancer that are working for a company abroad have an employment contract, isn't it?

That is only one possible type of digital nomad.  A lot of people will be self employed and not have a freelancer portfolio.  I am one of them so I am trying to figure out what I can show them.  

56 minutes ago, Persuader0963 said:

Where did you hear that extensions cost 10k?

I think that was part of the first announcement of this visa back in June. 

5 hours ago, Caldera said:

The moaning of foreigners on here that Thailand will soon be overrun by foreigners thanks to the new visa is hilarious. Get a grip and let the Thais decide how to run their immigration. :cheesy:

That is just business as usual.

Edited by shdmn
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Karma80 said:

Chill out. You do not need to deposit 500k into a Thai bank account. Follow the instructions provided by the embassy where you will apply for the visa, which will require you to show evidence that you have the prescribed equivalent funds in your local currency in your overseas account.

It doesn't even need to stay in the account.  You can deposit it the day before the statement is generated and then take it out the next day.

Edited by shdmn

10 minutes ago, shdmn said:

It doesn't even need to stay in the account.  You can deposit it the day before the statement is generated and then take it out the next day.

would wise account works?