5 year multiple entry DTV visa (Destination Thailand) from 2024-xx-xx

9 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

No, it's not a bank, so not providing the required bank statement

it's possible to request a statement on wise so if you have all money on the account why it shouldn't be accepted?

Edited by Jack1988

3 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

Just wonder if it would be possible to use wise for the 500k money requirements. And if it would be enough to just upload an employment contract without an employment certificate from the company

try it out. I guess no visa has been approved yet as it has been released on 15th July only.  

Definitely looking interesting!

I’m in almost the reverse position of “the hordes” some are saying will come to work illegally - I have my own business in UK but normally only work a few months a year here and spend the rest of the year in Thailand or elsewhere not working.

Had a few METV in the past but this would be better value and more flexible for length of stays. Presumably I can bring my laptop and claim to work even if all I do is check a few emails?

Guess no one has any insight into how tax would work if I stayed more than 180 days?

- Pay business and personal tax in UK

- Income earned in UK (but guess I’d have to say some was earned while in Thailand)

- No Thai clients / nothing Thai related for income

- I guess I would spend / remit approx. 1mil baht a year depending on how long there (guess I could pay Thai tax on that if I have to)

- Annual income from work and investments is much higher than 1mil baht (don’t want to pay tax on the extra)

This will probably get buried in other chat but would appreciate any insights!

19 minutes ago, Chalky0w said:

I’m in almost the reverse position of “the hordes” some are saying will come to work illegally - I have my own business in UK but normally only work a few months a year here and spend the rest of the year in Thailand or elsewhere not working.

Had a few METV in the past but this would be better value and more flexible for length of stays. Presumably I can bring my laptop and claim to work even if all I do is check a few emails?

Guess no one has any insight into how tax would work if I stayed more than 180 days?

- Income earned in UK (but guess I’d have to say some was earned while in Thailand)

- I guess I would spend / remit approx. 1mil baht a year depending on how long there (guess I could pay Thai tax on that if I have to)

- Annual income from work and investments is much higher than 1mil baht (don’t want to pay tax on the extra)

Ok so you're telling me that you would spend around 80k thb a month in Thailand?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, shdmn said:

I doubt they will accept people showing screenshots of their youtube channels or whatever.

Evisa site says they will except a "professional portfolio showcasing digital nomad, remote worker, foreign talent or freelancer status"

That sounds exactly like screenshots of their youtube channel and proof of income generated from it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

Ok so you're telling me that you would spend around 80k thb a month in Thailand?

Maybe. That is a rough figure, that is averaged and may vary. Staying “home” is cheap but I like to move around

3 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

Normally freelancer that are working for a company abroad have an employment contract, isn't it?

No, very few digital nomads work for a company.  Almost all of us are creating some type of digital content and getting income from the users of that content.  As in the example of someone creating youtube videos and receiving income from adds in their videos.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Chalky0w said:

If you're in Thailand for > 180 days in a calendar year then you will have to pay Tax on any assessable income which would include things like income from your Business in the UK but no need to have any Thai Clients / Sourced Income. 

As you've mentioned using METVs I'm assuming you're not married & are under 50 so you'd pay approx. 80K on 1Million of Income (NB you might be able to claim an additional 100K allowance for "Business Expenses" which would reduce this to approx. 62K)

If you're over 50 (Or very wealthy 🙂 ) - Check out the Long Term Residency visa as this would give you Tax Free remittances on income. 

Edited by Mike Teavee

10 hours ago, Caldera said:

Where did you get that income figure from? Or the fact that you can qualify for the visa by showing a monthly income instead of a 500k baht bank balance?

I may have been in error but I read from another that he was happier about 500K as opposed tgo 800K and that his (I think military) pension would cover the 66K income requirement - I withdrawal my original comment here about the 66K requirement unless I can find it again,  Sorry for that.

3 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

If you're in Thailand for > 180 days in a calendar year then you will have to pay Tax on any assessable income which would include things like income from your Business in the UK. 

As you've mentioned using METVs I'm assuming you're not married & are under 50 so you'd pay approx. 80K on 1Million of Income (NB you might be able to claim an additional 100K allowance for "Business Expenses" which would reduce this to approx. 62K)

If you're over 50 (Or very wealthy 🙂 ) - Check out the Long Term Residency visa as this would give you Tax Free remittances on income. 

Thanks Mike! This is useful!

You’re correct that I’m not married or over 50.

I’m not too worried about 80k for tax but if I had to pay tax on total income it might get a bit knarly especially since paid UK taxes already.

Appreciate the advice!

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, hydraides said:

The Cons Here (Especially the 60 day exemption) far outweigh any positives..........Crazy thinking from the PM

Why does the government think More = Better

Must get MORE TOURISTS

Must get MORE ECONOMY

Must get MORE DEVELOPMENT

MORE<MORE<MORE. destroy nature at any cost in the name of 'profit' and the illusionary monetary system.

Thailand was perfect the way it was 10 years ago

It is criminal what this Puppet PM is doing.

Along with this and.....the unbelievable 10k digital wallet screen.......and seeing his stupid cheesy smile on the news all the time.......makes me so angry

Fully agree. 

The flood gates are going to open. 

Only ones who benefit are property developers. There are rules in Thai politics that you are not meant to benefit from decisions, even if he has transferred shares to his daughter as i have read in reports. 

It's scandalous they're going to get away with it. 

What's more annoying is the lunacy of some posters here rejoicing here because it saves them a little time going to get an extension - these people don't give a single care about Thailand at all. 

spacer.png

Edited by JoeyMac
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

I'm a digital nomad.  I make more money now than I did when I was working full time in the US.  It can be very lucrative.

what digital nomad work do you do ?

If you wanted to stay in thailand before you could have done so. 

1 hour ago, Phillip9 said:

I write apps.  No, previously there was no option I could qualify for except the ridiculously priced elite visa.

Nonsense. 

You could have easily flown to nearby Combodia, Malaysia, Vietnam, etc for a day trip every few months. You never done a day trip before? 

I enjoyed my little trips. It would have been less than the cost of the visa. 

8 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

Just wonder if it would be possible to use wise for the 500k money requirements. And if it would be enough to just upload an employment contract without an employment certificate from the company

If others have used it for the TV, it should be allowed for this

12 minutes ago, Persuader0963 said:

And get yourself in trouble with immigration after a while? 

Have you been to Thailand? FLying in and out rarely causes a problem. Even less so if you get a visa again every few months, then renew. 

• Confused 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, sampson said:

That is not a free for all by any means.  They want to see that somebody has a job or are a genuine freelancer.  It remains to be seen what will be accepted as proof for a "professional portfolio."  Plus, they will need 15k Euro's in the bank, which a heck of a lot of people simply don't have.  If you were able to apply for this within Thailand at a local visa shop then that would have the potential to be abused, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

A free for all is anybody over 50 turning up and going to an agent who "facilitates" a Visa they don't have the money for.  

I think this will be a free for all. Time will tell. 

Initial applications have been filed with a single hospital appointment under the "soft power" provisons. We'll see if they are accepted. 

Once the visa is granted, it's granted and valid for 5 years. There is no mention of any ongoing checks or validity requirements. The only practical time these would occur is upon extensions, which can be avoided by re entry. 

2 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

I'm a digital nomad.  I make more money now than I did when I was working full time in the US.  It can be very lucrative.

If you're a software programmer or have some high level skills, you can make a lot of money online.

If you're a Youtuber, some make a lot of money, but it probably takes several years to grow the channel to be able to make money. You need to bootstrap, like any business. 

I don't believe it's that easy. And a lot of youtubers go broke. 

3 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

Evisa site says they will except a "professional portfolio showcasing digital nomad, remote worker, foreign talent or freelancer status"

That sounds exactly like screenshots of their youtube channel and proof of income generated from it.

People are probably trying as we speak so we should be hearing some first hand experiences soon enough. 

Edited by shdmn
  • Love It 1

26 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

Have you been to Thailand? FLying in and out rarely causes a problem. Even less so if you get a visa again every few months, then renew. 

To the contrary, the most issues I've had is with airports. Land borders are less problematic.

And if you plan to get a visa every few months, it's easier to just get this visa.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Caldera said:

While everyone is busy moaning about wannabe digital nomads (as per usual), the real "floodgate opener" with the DTV appears to be the "Thai soft power" category.

Reading the requirements on Thai embassy and eVisa websites, an appointment at a Thai hospital or a certificate of enrollment into a cooking class seems to be sufficient documentation, which sounds a lot easier than faking a digital nomad portfolio. I mean you can literally make a bona fide appointment with one of Thailand's top hospitals with just a few clicks.

And probably cancel it just as easily after your visa gets approved.  It does sound like a rather low bar to be sure.

Edited by shdmn