PM Unveils Thailand's First Châteaux Wine Exhibition

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin inaugurated Thailand's maiden Châteaux wine exhibition yesterday. Aimed at positioning Thailand as a burgeoning hub for global tourism and fine wines

At extortionate prices.

• Agree 1

Looks like those visits to France early this year are beginning to reap rewards.

Extract from a Thai news article

"The PM then attended the Thailand-France Business Forum, held at L'Apostrophe Business Centre in Paris. In his opening remarks, Srettha highlighted the government’s “Ignite Thailand” vision, a campaign to elevate Thailand into a global hub for tourism, wellness and medical, agriculture and food, aviation, logistics, future mobility, digital economy, and finance. The PM underscored the vast potential for French companies interested in investing in Thailand."

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin inaugurated Thailand's maiden Châteaux wine exhibition yesterday. Aimed at positioning Thailand as a burgeoning hub for global tourism and fine wines, the event signifies a new chapter in Thai-French cultural and economic ties.

The only fine wines here have massive import taxes and duties on them which the govt said would be taken off. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Most wines I think. Being an Aussie I hold our wine in the very highest regard. Thai 'wines' are not even worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence. 

For Thai wine,  I think the term 'sheep dip'  would suffice. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Lancelot01 said:

Meanwhile in the south of Spain, a litre of lager, a litre of acceptable table wine ( my preference Rosè) and a bottle of Cava fizz, for just over €5.00. Less than THB250.

20240518_102735.jpg

I pay about 350 baht for 5 litres of decent Aussie wine not the best but drinkable 

18 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

I found the same at Lotus'sss a few weeks back.  They've changed the alc % from the standard 40 to 37.5.

i can see changing the bottle size (skrinkflation and all that) but to drop the percentage ? ahhh not happy if i was a customer.

2 hours ago, stoner said:

i can see changing the bottle size (skrinkflation and all that) but to drop the percentage ? ahhh not happy if i was a customer.

Yes I found that rather odd. True spirits should be at least 40%.  

Thai spirits is normally lower, like all that stuff: red cock, white cock, white spirits.  Rocket fuel! 

Surprisingly SangSom is still 40%

20 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

And above all: NO comparable quality.
French wines remain superior to what the Thais think they can make.

Thailand has a fundamental problem in growing grapes, grapes are a Mediterranean climate plant.  This affects the quality.

They need a lot of research in how to breed varieties that will grow well in a subtropical climate., thus hopefully, improving the quality dramatically.  This is necessary if they want a profitable wine industry.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, still kicking said:

I pay about 350 baht for 5 litres of decent Aussie wine not the best but drinkable 

no you don't - you mean fruti wine?

1 hour ago, MarkBR said:

Thailand has a fundamental problem in growing grapes, grapes are a Mediterranean climate plant.  This affects the quality.

They need a lot of research in how to breed varieties that will grow well in a subtropical climate., thus hopefully, improving the quality dramatically.  This is necessary if they want a profitable wine industry.

Don't forget also the years of now how of the French, and against that the indifference of the Thai.

On 6/3/2024 at 9:01 AM, Enzian said:

AFAIK we're all still waiting to see lower prices on the shelf, ...

Non-Vintage Champage like Moet and Veuve clicquot are now around 2000 baht as opposed to 4000+ or before, some old stock of other labels are still at the old price 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1