Thai Monk Nabbed Shoplifting Beer from Isaan Grocery Stores

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Buddhist principles took a hit recently when a monk in Thailand’s Isaan province of Mukdahan was seen stealing beer.

A twist on giving alms, help oneself.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Reason for edit:

I make mistake, was only thinking monk take a beer for drinking at the tempel, but it was shoplifting, and of course that is wrong.

Edited by Peterphuket

19 minutes ago, grain said:

I've long been convinced that a great many, probably the majority, of Thai monks are useless, unskilled, uneducated bums who have nothing, have nobody, have no prospects, so they go to a temple and hey presto! They're a monk, a wise holy man that is instantly respected and revered, and cared for...free food, free housing, free toiletries, and have people groveling at their feet. 

I would disagree on one thing you say and that is that wearing the saffron robe makes people respect the person. I disagree with that, the people respect the robe not the necessarily the person wearing it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Purdey said:

My guess is that as the country sinks further into economic chaos, more young men will see the monk hood as a form of social security rather than for any religious reason.

Hm,...When I cam to Thailand, more than 30 Y. ago, it was a well known fact that Buddhist temples were a refuge for criminals as well as for real Buddhists. Criminals on the run took refuge in temples far away from the places were they operated and became monks !. At that time they could change there identity while been monk. this has changed years ago, as the practice was widespread. Now Monks have a special ID card. But once and a while you still can see monks with  Tattoos to be meant to protect them against knife or gun attacks !!!, mixed with Buddhist tattoos !!

PS: The photograph is not mine ! It's just a example I Down Loaded long time ago

Thai Monk, colorfull representative of the Buddhists comunity...I saw criminals and drug addicts just as colorfull like him...jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

video screenshot

Buddhist principles took a hit recently when a monk in Thailand’s Isaan province of Mukdahan was seen stealing beer.

On May 30, a grocery shop owner took to Facebook to share videos from her store's security cameras catching the monk in the act. The footage shows him selecting drinks from a fridge and slyly slipping a can of beer into his robe before taking another beverage to the cashier.

The shop owner, identified as Oom Phakhamon, observed the suspicious behaviour and checked her security footage. It confirmed her doubts. The monk had arrived in a white SUV, raising further suspicions that he might be a fake using the monk's robe as a guise for wrongdoing.

Monks in Thailand are strictly prohibited from drinking alcohol, purchasing food or beverages, and generally even driving cars. They rely on offerings from laypeople for sustenance and are seen as embodying a more ascetic lifestyle.

The shop owner said that the monk seemed around 50 years old and claimed she had never seen him at any local temples before. While it was unclear if she had reported the incident to the police, she shared the story on social media to alert the community.

Following this incident, another grocery store owner recognized the same monk committing theft at her store. She reviewed her security footage and confirmed he had stolen alcohol on two occasions. The shared experiences on social media have painted a worrying picture of misconduct.

The acting sub-district abbot is now investigating with plans to defrock the monk for repeated theft and alcohol consumption. This incident is part of a troubling trend; earlier this year, another monk in Buriram province was arrested for drinking and attempting to intrude into nuns' quarters.

In yet another case, a monk in Maha Sarakham province was found with methamphetamine and arrested after not paying for petrol and causing a vehicular accident.

These cases highlight a growing concern over monk misconduct and the importance of upholding Buddhist values in the community.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-04

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Monk-ee See Monk-ee do?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Whatever fake or real monk, it is not possible to bring the state funded cult, a worse name than it already has IMO. Booze, drugs, sex, rape, and theft. 

Yes indeed. Thailand is idolaltrous, not Buddhist.

6 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Whatever fake or real monk, it is not possible to bring the state funded cult, a worse name than it already has IMO. Booze, drugs, sex, rape, and theft. 

And Western Churches are better?  I think not.  People are people.

With so many Monks out and about in public, it will happen.  It sounds like appropriate measures are being taken.

12 minutes ago, Parker2100 said:

And Western Churches are better?  I think not.  People are people.

With so many Monks out and about in public, it will happen.  It sounds like appropriate measures are being taken.

Western Churches are not government funded.