Teens riding against traffic cause fatal accident in Pathum Thani

webfact

image.jpeg

Two teenagers caused a fatal accident by riding their motorcycle against the traffic flow and colliding with another motorcycle on a main road, resulting in the death of a young security guard.

The accident occurred at 8pm yesterday on Tiwanon Road in Pathum Thani Province. The Thai authorities are currently waiting to interview the injured 15 year olds before proceeding with legal action.

Officers from Pak Khlong Rangsit Police Station alongside forensic doctors from the Ministry of Justice and members of the Ruamkatanyu Foundation quickly rushed to the scene upon receiving word of a collision involving two motorcycles that resulted in both injuries and a fatality.

At the scene, the deceased was identified as 35 year old Surisak Ketkaew from Chumphon Province. He was found lying in the middle of the road. Nearby, his damaged Nonthaburi-registered Honda motorcycle was discovered with significant damage on its front end.

On the pavement was another severely damaged Honda motorcycle driven by the teenagers. They were identified as Kajapol and Ananda and were previously rushed to Pathum Thani Hospital by Ruamkatanyu Foundation staff.

A representative from the Ruamkatanyu Foundation stated that the two injured teenagers were riding their motorcycle against the traffic flow.

They overheard one of them talking on the phone with a relative, mentioning that they had been riding against the traffic before the fatal accident with Surisak’s motorcycle.

After the police completed their examination of the accident scene, they documented the evidence and instructed the foundation’s staff to transfer the deceased’s body to the Institute of Forensic Medicine at the Ministry of Justice for further examination.

The authorities plan to interview the injured teenagers to gather more information and proceed with legal action, reported Khaosod.

This tragic accident highlights the issue of road safety, namely the dangers of riding in traffic and the severe consequences it can have. The police are determined to investigate thoroughly and ensure that justice is served.

by Nattapong Westwood

Image courtesy of Khaosod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-06-04

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 8

42 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Relatives and friends have, over the years, asked me whether Thais drive on the left or the right. I've always answered, 'Yes'. Basically, Thais do whatever they want as there is rarely any law enforcement. It's total anarchy out there. No sense of responsibility in anything they do. Always the easy path taken.

A national disgrace. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Darius1 said:

Since the legal driving age for a car is 18y/o-why is the age lowered to 15y/o for motorcycles which are more dangerous than cars?

110cc for 15...But, cops should go check..🤔

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

In Bangkok since COVID this ghost riding has become the rule rather than the exception, especially by Grab, win etc riders. 

Never seen any police activity to stop them, or for anything else.

its just laziness and selfishness, common characteristics. 

I am sure I will wipe one out, not intentionally, one day, and they will come crying to

me for help with hospital bills and damage - no chance.

100% agree....

This incident is of course the fault of those riding the wrong way into oncoming traffic. 

But, also complicity is the complete ineffectiveness of authorities and law enforcement to do anything about this issue (and many others)... 

----------

I too will one day 'wipe out' a motorcyclist who has either pulled out of a side street without looking, or simply rides straight into me expecting me to dodge them while at the same time I can't because there is traffic on the correct side of the road I don't want a 'head on collision with'... 

Then there is the issue of motorcyclists riding the wrong way down a 'frontage' lane (some call it the motorcyclist lane), and while I'm pulling out into traffic, looking right, a motorcyclists illegally riding down this 'shoulder strip' in the wrong direction hits me... 

I have dash-cams for these eventualities (on both my motorcycle and car) - but its no good to me if I am the one injured and they are kids who'll get off scot-free because the Police feel sorry for them because they are kids.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

This tragic accident highlights the issue of road safety, namely the dangers of riding in traffic and the severe consequences it can have.

Surely riding against traffic is the dangerous practice here?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Teens riding against traffic cause fatal accident in Pathum Thani 

Rip . 

Nothing new about this ,No matter where you go at shops on the highway or any street there are always a lot of them morons riding against the traffic .

Adults, Kids Motor bikes ,Cars Trucks Vans Tuk Tuks ,Police,It's a Miracle  that there are no more Deaths then this because of the number of people one sees doing this Everyday.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

hey overheard one of them talking on the phone with a relative, mentioning that they had been riding against the traffic before the fatal accident with Surisak’s motorcycle.

How can someone overhear someone on a motorbike talking to someone, and determine that it is a relative?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

25 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

How can someone overhear someone on a motorbike talking to someone, and determine that it is a relative?

Don't Thais use titles a lot?  They don't seem to use pronouns like we do in English.  They even say their own names when they talk about themselves.

It's likely that they would be saying the title of whomever they were talking to repeatedly.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

But, also complicity is the complete ineffectiveness of authorities and law enforcement to do anything about this issue (and many others)... 

the best is when you see motorcycle police doing it. 

• Agree 2

42 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Perhaps it was after the collision, not before or during?

• Thanks 2

I too will one day 'wipe out' a motorcyclist who has either pulled out of a side street without looking,

Yes, I have never been able to work that one out.  As a biker, my basic survival instinct would not allow me to pull out into potential traffic without even a glance.

5 minutes ago, Upnotover said:
48 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Perhaps it was after the collision, not before or during?

I didn't even notice this before making my own reply.  It's clearly after the accident, as they say that they were discussing the accident.

• Thumbs Up 1

Then there is the issue of motorcyclists riding the wrong way down a 'frontage' lane (some call it the motorcyclist lane), and while I'm pulling out into traffic, looking right, a motorcyclists illegally riding down this 'shoulder strip' in the wrong direction hits me... 

This nearly happened to me a long time ago, I jammed the brake and missed him by a quarter of an inch… Lesson learnt, always look left first when in this situation.

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:
9 hours ago, webfact said:

hey overheard one of them talking on the phone with a relative, mentioning that they had been riding against the traffic before the fatal accident with Surisak’s motorcycle.

Because they heard what was being said.

You see it a lot everywhere where some motorbike taxi in order to cut things short and not go for the u turn or i

intersections are riding against the traffic, ( did it couple of times myself for a very short distance though but TIT right

and in Rome do as the Romans do)... 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Don't Thais use titles a lot?  They don't seem to use pronouns like we do in English.  They even say their own names when they talk about themselves.

It's likely that they would be saying the title of whomever they were talking to repeatedly.

Sorry, I misunderstood. The kid was talking to a relative AFTER the accident.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

The police are determined to investigate thoroughly and ensure that justice is served.

I will not hold my breath on that one, no money in it.

Why do the police not get out there en-masse, and fine everyone they see breaking the traffic laws, well, we all know why, so treat it is a rhetorical question.