UK warns British tourists to behave in Thailand or face jail time

webfact

Last September I flew back to Thailand with EVA air in cattle class. It was truly saddening to see the caliber of my fellow countrymen heading to ' Pats ' to go on a non stop bender if their behavior en route was anything to go by. So much so that I might give up on EVA and look for another airline.

Where to the high end British tourists go ? They must go somewhere ? Why do some of us go rapidly downhill on vacation ?

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Where smoking is still popular

Infographic: Where Smoking Is Still Popular | Statista

Statista is a non-reliable source of data.   Statista is an image source, not a data source.

• Confused 1

The memo fails to mention that if you become an innocent victim. don't expect the foreign office/embassy to do diddly-squat to assist.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

An overly derogatory racist post has been removed, please see the following forum rule:

15. You will not discriminate or post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments on the basis of race, gender, age, religion, ethnicity, nationality,

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

The headline is totally fictional.

It states that British tourists have been warned about their behavior, implying/suggesting that the warning is about drunkenness, disorderly behavior, maybe not having sex on a beach, kicking people in the back, that sort of thing.

in actual fact, the article goes on in some detail to talk about visa rules and the need to comply with them.

sensational headlines don’t make a story, they make the writer look incompetent 

I gotta agree with this wholeheartedly. 

Also, when did quoting a bunch of anonymous people and their silly Twitter (now called X) tropes become reporting?

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

To avoid paying the tax. Much cheaper.

i have been buying some from Cambodia I think. Cheaper and none of those stupid warnings on the packets. I bought them from a Burmese guy in Patong.

I applaud this warning from the UK Foreign Office.

what I have noticed in the short time I have been here is the terrible behavior from the Brits. Murders, trying to rip off poor sex workers, bashing the elderly Thais, human trafficking and child molesting etc etc

It is disgusting. 
And ironically most of the Brits I have met here are constantly criticizing Russians.

People in glass houses should have a good hard look in the mirrors.

The brits is number one in thailand for crimes compared to other foreigners.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

All they have to do is search their luggage before they board the plane a Heathrow. If they find wife beater vests, football shirts or union jack shorts just don't let them board the aircraft. Easy. 

Or tattoos or shaved heads

2 hours ago, freeworld said:

Where smoking is still popular

Infographic: Where Smoking Is Still Popular | Statista

What a load of dung.

Less than 12% of Americans smoke tobacco, it is very unpopular.  

Weed on the other hand...

And why wouldn't Japan, or Turkey be up there?  They still have smokers in the 30% range.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Unfortunately they have misinformed people re the 60 day visa exempt entry. It is now June 4th and not being provided yet,

True… just got in today. Stamped 30 days only.. 

27 minutes ago, Hummin said:

any statistics ?

I believe brits are on top of the statistics of stupid crimes often, but more serious crimes I believe other countries is ahead. 

Economic crimes mostly by Chinese and Russians . These crimes need brains to fly. Brits crimes are mainly like you said.. stupid crimes committed by dregs of society. 

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Hummin said:

any statistics ?

I believe brits are on top of the statistics of stupid crimes often, but more serious crimes I believe other countries is ahead. 

True, doubt many Brits are committing white collar crimes nor would the petty crime Brits even know how to go about committing such a crime.  Brits outside of Thailand are fine and even here there are quality Brits but why all the violent types as well as racists here? I've asked myself this many times over the last 20 years.  They have never caused more than aggravation for me personally so possibly the rep is worse than the  reality.

Edited by atpeace
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, atpeace said:

True, doubt many Brits are committing white collar crimes nor would the petty crime Brits even know how to go about committing such a crime.  Brits outside of Thailand are fine and even here there are quality Brits but why all the violent types as well as racists here? I've asked myself this many times over the last 20 years.  They have never caused more than aggravation for me personally so possibly the rep is worse than the  reality.

could it be excessive abuse of alchohol? 

combined with lack of behavior and social skills. It is a cultural thing, same in Spain, if it is a streetfight in the bar districts, you bet there is a brit involved. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

It really is true then, UK citizens are a problem group (broadly speaking). Even your own government has to issue a warning 😂 which of course will be interpreted as a challenge to behave worse 😂 does this mean all the whining about Brit bashing will end (seeing as there is now confirmation of the truth by your own government).

• Sad 2

From the Gov.UK website today (4 June 2024):-

"British passport holders arriving by air or land can enter Thailand without a visa (visa exemption) for the purpose of tourism for a period not exceeding 30 days."

From this article:- 

“From 1 June 2024, British passport holders arriving by air or land can enter Thailand without a visa (visa exemption) for tourism and short-term business engagements for a period not exceeding 60 days. If you intend to stay longer (for work, study, or other reasons), you need to obtain a visa before you travel.

Come on, which is it?

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Unfortunately they have misinformed people re the 60 day visa exempt entry. It is now June 4th and not being provided yet,

And the UK FO sent out an update today reverting to 30 days visa exempt - last week they announced the new 60 day limit...which hasn't been implemented.....yet.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Whats discusting exactly?...  every single british person coming to Thailand and behaving poorly ? 

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Murders, trying to rip off poor sex workers, bashing the elderly Thais, human trafficking and child molesting etc etc

That sort of stuff.

As I said.

Your eyes painted on?

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Why on earth would anybody import cigarettes into Thailand, And the 60day visa on arrival still has not been implemented, The UK  FO needs to catch up. 

Because you cannot purchase quality cigarettes, American Spirit for example, in Thailand.

Why on earth the monopoly cannot produce a quality cigarette is beyond me.

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It simply means that more gullible individuals, such as yourself, are prone to believe anything they read, provided it aligns with their preconceived notions.

It simply means he hasn’t got his head in the sand.

There hasn’t been just stuff being “read” these things are really happening as shown by cctv. And there are real Thai victims sadly.

The days of just denying the reality are in the past now thankfully. 

I knew why had somewhat of a poor reputation, but I didn’t realize the true extent of it. For every one unsavory incident reported there are probably 99 that are not.

What we “read” is just the tip of the iceberg unfortunately.

The Thais are so warm and welcolming one would think it would rub off on us, but I think for some it is having the opposite effect and they are taking the piss.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 4
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

but your exaggeration is simply that of a fool - no basis in fact or intelligence, its just bigotry.

Bigotry? Calm down.
Next you will be using the race card.

By denying all this you are part of the problem when you could be part of the solution.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

And I thought the commonly accepted narrative was "Russians in Thailand Bad!"

Now it's British in Thailand Bad.  How times change.  Oh well, tomorrow it will be <pick a nationality as long as it's not Thai> in Thailand Bad.

• Confused 1