British mum’s dengue fever warning after son’s Thai holiday tragedy

59 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I had it 7 years ago, my symptoms weren't as serious as that, I had a rash, completely lost my appetite (didn't eat anything for three days) and had dizzy spells. A doctor told me the symptoms were due to my age (69 at the time). I decided to get checked at the hospital where they took urine and blood samples. when I took the lab report to the doctor he emitted a tut tut, shook his head and said immediate emission, your body is going into shock. I was a bed patient for 4 days where I slept 24 hours a day and was woken up every 2 hours for pills and oxygen. After recovery I was weak for three months afterwards. I was told if I got it again it would be worse but you can't walk around being scared of your own shadow.

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

I had it 7 years ago, my symptoms weren't as serious as that, I had a rash, completely lost my appetite (didn't eat anything for three days) and had dizzy spells. A doctor told me the symptoms were due to my age (69 at the time). I decided to get checked at the hospital where they took urine and blood samples. when I took the lab report to the doctor he emitted a tut tut, shook his head and said immediate emission, your body is going into shock. I was a bed patient for 4 days where I slept 24 hours a day and was woken up every 2 hours for pills and oxygen. After recovery I was weak for three months afterwards. I was told if I got it again it would be worse but you can't walk around being scared of your own shadow.

I was 4 nights in hospital on a drip. As you say, I'll for months afterwards. Worst illness I've ever had. 

• Like 1

I was bed ridden for 3 weeks, and another three on crutches, with Dengue, which did serious and lasting damage to my knee and hip joints. The pain in that time was intense.  Its a very bad virus to get and not that much that you can do to avoid it. Luck of the draw. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, atpeace said:

Too good to be true 🙂 I might try but I have my serious doubts it will make the slightest difference. Worth trying...

At least once every dengue season, government officials come by all the houses to check for standing water. We always get a pass because of the standing pots full of fish. It's the buckets and tires full of water etc. that are a problem. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Yagoda said:

BNH Hospital messaged me on Line reminding folks that Dengue Vaccine is available there, but only for those under 65. I lose.

I use Lemongrass spray and generally wear long pants, socks and long sleeved shirts.

I think they have only studied people in age groups under 65 with the trials of this new vaccine. So that could be why they say it's only for those under 65. Perhaps in the future it will be offered to people over 65 too. The 2 dose vaccine has only been available since last October. So it's still quite new, but results are very positive. Hopefully it goes more mainstream in the future. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, steven100 said:
5 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Anywhere there is standing water, such as ponds and the like, are breeding grounds for these pests.

there are some places like that near my soi ....   should I be concerned 

Depends how large the body of water is... 

If they are 'lotus plant pots' etc (without Fish in them to eat the larvae) then they are breeding grounds.

The issue then of course is convincing the locals of an unseen danger....   they don't wear helmets, how are you going to get them to add some chlorine to standing water or get rid of the lotus plant pots, and other area's of pooled water ?

This is the issue with living in a poor under educated community - these issue's are not a primary concern for people trying to make ends meet so they can eat.

------

Another point - as its hot most of the year, our doors / windows are always closed and the AC is always on when we are inside - this perhaps helps avoid getting bitten by these nasty creatures... 

And I use the word creatures not insects, as when I was on Koh Samet, we went down to one of the beaches and were attacked by 100's of these mini-dinosaurs ... (exaggeration, yes, but it felt like death by a 1000's bites at the time regardless of how much mozzie repellant we had on us).

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yes ...  the smoke reminds me of a #9 bus leaving the bus stop. 

It's mostly the same stuff, partially burned diesel.

Now there's an idea, add mozzie-cide to all bus and truck diesel, automatic and free distribution.

No more mozzies (or much else for that matter). What's the number of the Thai patent office??

Note to the Thai authorities - The above is a jest/joke/humour it is not a serious suggestion!

• Haha 1

I had dengue in Thailand... Initially.. No blood test.. Diagnosed with stomach flu. Absolute moro@s . The article states that treatment could have started earlier. As far as I know... There is no treatment for any kind of dengue 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

there are some places like that near my soi ....   should I be concerned 

Yes, you should be. I had it once and when they came and fogged my house/land they told me even a bottle cap sized container that has water can be a breeding ground for mosquitos, so yes I would be concerned if I was you. As others have stated the mosquito that caries dengue has a black and white striped body and is a daytime feeder.

• Like 2

i got dengue here years ago   messed me up bad...went to hospital

took me about 6 weeks to fully recover........lost 10 lbs in 5 days....itchy rash...no energy--just laid up in bed......

crazy the effect on me from just one mozzie bite

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

I was bed ridden for 3 weeks, and another three on crutches, with Dengue, which did serious and lasting damage to my knee and hip joints. The pain in that time was intense.  Its a very bad virus to get and not that much that you can do to avoid it. Luck of the draw. 

agreed as i got it too...bad news

• Like 1

21 hours ago, steven100 said:

yes ...  watch out for those mozzies 

put the repellent on if you go out ... especially at night

They are daytime mosquitoes Aedes species , I got it in Pattaya 10 years ago , from overfilled  flower pots , breeding source , I didn’t know it was Dengue  I had it and took aspirin everyday for a week the worst thing you can do , I never went to doctor but I heard 2nd time you get it it’s way Worse 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Depends how large the body of water is... 

If they are 'lotus plant pots' etc (without Fish in them to eat the larvae) then they are breeding grounds.

The issue then of course is convincing the locals of an unseen danger....   they don't wear helmets, how are you going to get them to add some chlorine to standing water or get rid of the lotus plant pots, and other area's of pooled water ?

This is the issue with living in a poor under educated community - these issue's are not a primary concern for people trying to make ends meet so they can eat.

------

Another point - as its hot most of the year, our doors / windows are always closed and the AC is always on when we are inside - this perhaps helps avoid getting bitten by these nasty creatures... 

And I use the word creatures not insects, as when I was on Koh Samet, we went down to one of the beaches and were attacked by 100's of these mini-dinosaurs ... (exaggeration, yes, but it felt like death by a 1000's bites at the time regardless of how much mozzie repellant we had on us).

I heard Samet has a Giant Species 

There are two versions of dengue; dengue and hemorrhagic dengue.

I've had dengue twice, and it sucks big time, your bones are on fire, your head feels like it will explode, but you don't die.

This poor guy must have had hemorrhagic dengue which is a killer.

To this day I have a visceral hatred and fear of mosquitos.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

There are two versions of dengue; dengue and hemorrhagic dengue.

I've had dengue twice, and it sucks big time, your bones are on fire, your head feels like it will explode, but you don't die.

This poor guy must have had hemorrhagic dengue which is a killer.

To this day I have a visceral hatred and fear of mosquitos.  

you have to apply some mosquito repellent cream when you go out in the day time.  

Posted (edited)

It's perhaps worth bearing in mind that multiple studies indicate that doxycycline has some efficacy against acute dengue fever. 

Doxycycline-treated group presented a 46% lower mortality than that observed in the untreated group.

Dengue Patients Treated with Doxycycline Showed Lower Mortality

And if you're wondering how an antibiotic could be effective against dengue, which is a virus.

... studies have shown that doxycycline inhibits dengue virus plaque formation by disrupting the conformational changes in the viral envelope that are necessary for virus entry.

Effect of doxycycline and doxycycline with carica papaya on thrombocytopenia and leucopenia in acute dengue fever patients

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Yagoda said:

BNH Hospital messaged me on Line reminding folks that Dengue Vaccine is available there, but only for those under 65. I lose.

Dengue vaccine should only be considered by those who have been previously infected with Dengue.  If you never had Dengue and take the shot you can end up with antibody dependent enhancement (ADE).  It's ADE which makes getting Dengue a second time so serious.  But the vaccine can also cause vaccine induced ADE. 

The shots are recommend for those who are under 65 and who have previously had Dengue.  I looked into the shot having had Dengue in 2010. Too old.  My son also had Dengue and I'm probably going to recommend to him to take the shot.

If you have any background in life sciences or science research you can check out the details in the study below. 

Antibody-Dependent Enhancement: A Challenge for Developing a Safe Dengue Vaccine

Rahul Shukla, et.al., Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 2020; 10: 572681.
Published online 2020 Oct 22. doi: 10.3389/fcimb.2020.572681

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7642463/

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RonJr said:

The best warnings I have been given which saved me on the first occasion was to rush to the hospital if you begin to vomit, before dehydration or fluid build up killz you. I've fought it before on my own a couple times in guesthouse but now I won't risk it, they say it gets deadlier as you age due to immune response and different strains it takes on due to prior immunity or something 

I always get it in the islands, Koh samet Koh chang lot of standing water inland those black an white ones love that <deleted> 

Wow, how many times have you had it.  There are only four dengue virus serotypes.  Once you've had it you're essentially immune to that serotype.  Three times?  That's horrendously bad luck. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Irish star said:

They are daytime mosquitoes Aedes species , I got it in Pattaya 10 years ago , from overfilled  flower pots , breeding source , I didn’t know it was Dengue  I had it and took aspirin everyday for a week the worst thing you can do , I never went to doctor but I heard 2nd time you get it it’s way Worse 

you have to apply some mosquito repellent cream if you go outside.  I can send you some.

10 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Anywhere there is standing water, such as ponds and the like, are breeding grounds for these pests.

Rice paddy fields?

17 hours ago, steven100 said:

you have to apply some mosquito repellent cream when you go out in the day time.  

Oh you have no idea how much money I have spent on mosi repellent after this after these episodes.

Malaria they can treat, Dengue you just have to tough it out.

For all of those that have had it you know what I'm talking about.

That headache which is so intense you literally think your head will explode. Couple that with the body aches which feel like your bones are breaking, you literally feel like death.

You can't eat, can't sleep, it's truly awful

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

so now i'm always on the lookout for black & white stripped mosquitos 

they're dead before they can sting me if i'm quick enough.

if you get stung by a black & white mozzie take doxycycline asap ....   and a cold beer if you like.  

21 hours ago, connda said:

As far as getting it.  The Aedes aegypti mosquito can bite you all day long and you'll never get Dengue unless it has bit an Dengue infected person.  So we basically keep track of anyone who has Dengue in the village and where they are in relation to our house.  That's pretty much our level of caution.

This is the big thing. If you can reduce the number of carriers as well as the mosquito numbers then outbreaks are less likely.

As I understand it the range of the mosquito is very short.

Even Singapore has outbreaks so it's hard to eradicate

19 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Rice paddy fields?

Because the mosquito has a limited range it's unlikely to pose a risk to most. It's more the village or condo with a nearby rubbish dump or deserted house that pose the risk

• Thumbs Up 1

Malaysia is now rolling out dengue vaccinations for all (not free).

This is a new vaccine that is suitable for people who have not had dengue. The previous vaccine had problems for non sufferers.

Worth a look perhaps

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2024/06/12/dengue-vaccine-is-now-available

The vaccine can also be safely taken by those who have not had a prior dengue infection.

This was an issue with the first dengue vaccine licensed for use in 2015 in a number of countries.

It was found that this vaccine, produced by the pharmaceutical company Sanofi, actually increased the risk of hospitalisations and severe dengue disease in those who had not previously been infected at the time of vaccination.

Dengue Prevention Advocacy Malaysia chairman Prof Datuk Dr Zulkifli Ismail explained, “The second dengue infection is invariably more severe than the first – it’s caused by two different serotypes.

“If you get the vaccine, that will be considered as the first infection, which is not severe.

“If you get infected by a second infection, that is the one that causes severe disease. That is what happened with the previous vaccine.”

However, the consultant paediatrician and paediatric cardiologist said that this effect showed after two years of the previous vaccine being administered.

“This vaccine (Qdenga) has been tested for four-and-a-half-years and there have been no red flags as far as this is concerned.

“So it is quite hopeful and I don’t think we will see it,” he said.

The vaccine is administered by injection and is given in two doses, three months apart.