British mum’s dengue fever warning after son’s Thai holiday tragedy

If anybody has/had been following 'Ricky in Issan' on YouTube they would know how devastating dengue fever is. His wife died just weeks after giving birth to twin girls, she woke up one morning feeling very unwell, and went off to hospital, Ricky could not go as he was sick too. He recommended every one to get the injections.

She died within hours of arriving at hospital, so he never got a chance to even say goodbye, and was left with the twins to care for. With the help of her family, and his mum who came over from OZ to be with him. Such a sad thing to happen for those so young. 😢

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, Yagoda said:

BNH Hospital messaged me on Line reminding folks that Dengue Vaccine is available there, but only for those under 65. I lose.

I use Lemongrass spray and generally wear long pants, socks and long sleeved shirts.

I would rather live a wet dreary country than wear long pants, socks , and long sleave shirts all the time. To each his own and at least when it come to Dengue, the authorities don't mandate what is required. 

Does the lemon grass work? Doesn't have to work 100% but even 25% would be worth it.  I just finished installing about 30 square maters of mosquito screen and my big patio and house are without mosquitoes!  One step outside of the enclosed area and they attach with a vengeance.

• Agree 1

Dengue as we all know can be very nasty indeed. I know several people who have contracted it here in Thailand but thankfully none have died of the disease. Some have died from the shock of seeing the hospital bill, for no treatment at all, other than paracetamol and drips. It seems, the best idea is not to catch it in the first place. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, atpeace said:

I would rather live a wet dreary country than wear long pants, socks , and long sleave shirts all the time. To each his own and at least when it come to Dengue, the authorities don't mandate what is required. 

Does the lemon grass work? Doesn't have to work 100% but even 25% would be worth it.  I just finished installing about 30 square maters of mosquito screen and my big patio and house are without mosquitoes!  One step outside of the enclosed area and they attach with a vengeance.

If you have ever lived or worked in the Yukon, Alaska or Nuanavit etc yopur learn how to hold off the bloodsuckers. It does suck wearing long pants and sleeves at the bar when its 113F, but it sure makes a difference when you are on the back trails of Angkor.

The Lemongrass works here just fine, Id say 70%. I wouldnt trust it in the aforementioned places and would move to DEET or even better, Picardin which I have here (hard to find)

2 minutes ago, retarius said:

Dengue as we all know can be very nasty indeed. I know several people who have contracted it here in Thailand but thankfully none have died of the disease. Some have died from the shock of seeing the hospital bill, for no treatment at all, other than paracetamol and drips. It seems, the best idea is not to catch it in the first place. 

People here get it here but in the provinces the hospital bill is far from concerning.  I think you just have to live life to its fullest and take reasonable precautions.  This year was insane, for reasons I won't bore people by explaining, and yesterday made it nearly impossible for them to get into the home or the surrounding patio.  Drinking a coffee shirtless next to our pond and little creak right now!

37 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I have had the local Council come and smoke the whole road, and inside the land, The whole house was covered in the smoke, and we had/told to go away until it subsided. All free of charge

It is not smoke. It's vaporized agricultural diesel. The diesel causes a thin covering on top of static water causing the mosquito larvae to drown.  Simple innit?

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

If you have ever lived or worked in the Yukon, Alaska or Nuanavit etc yopur learn how to hold off the bloodsuckers. It does suck wearing long pants and sleeves at the bar when its 113F, but it sure makes a difference when you are on the back trails of Angkor.

The Lemongrass works here just fine, Id say 70%. I wouldnt trust it in the aforementioned places and would move to DEET or even better, Picardin which I have here (hard to find)

Back in my younger days I hitched my way through Alaska for a few months.  Mosquitoes were terrible at times and basically had to wear a net that covered the head.  I'll buy some lemon grass today.  I have an Ice bath that isn't easily screened off, I use to cool down and soothe my back when it acts up.  5-10 bites every bath!  I don't mind a few bites every day but why tempt fate...

Edited by atpeace
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Sorry ... broken record ... again ...

Research & common sense.   Going to a foreign country, maybe one should research any travel warnings for said country :coffee1:

Better research = happier, longer life.

A little trivia ... most deadly animal on the planet...

... mosquitoes

Edited by KhunLA

Just now, IvorBiggun2 said:

It is not smoke. It's vaporized agricultural diesel. The diesel causes a thin covering on top of static water causing the mosquito larvae to drown.  Simple innit?

I know what it is and it is mixed with insecticide, and heated in the blower. hence SMOKE, 

What the ferk is " agricultural diesel " in Thailand Diesel is diesel. some use Paraffin/Kerosene. 

Would saying  Vaporized 'agricultural' diesel make you feel better?  Jeez. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

My body doesnt like breathing diesel.

4 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I know what it is and it is mixed with insecticide, and heated in the blower. hence SMOKE, 

What the ferk is " agricultural diesel " in Thailand Diesel is diesel. some use Paraffin/Kerosene. 

Would saying  Vaporized 'agricultural' diesel make you feel better?  Jeez. 

He could be a Yank, their are two types of diesal, Red is agricultural

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Sorry ... broken record ... again ...

Research & common sense.   Going to a foreign country, maybe one should research any travel warnings for said country :coffee1:

Better research = happier, longer life.

Bad night? How about just having some fun and dealing with the consequences? Shttt happens and this dead guy didn't do anything outrageously dangerous IMO.  From your perspective though it was irresponsible which I  respect but I take larger risks all the time with little concern.  

Edited by atpeace

1 minute ago, Yagoda said:

My body doesnt like breathing diesel.

Same in the UK red is also used in construction plant.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I know what it is and it is mixed with insecticide

No it is not. So obviously your'e full of BS. Agri diesel is the fuel used for non-road mobile machinery such as tractors, excavators, etc. It is dyed green in colour.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

BS. It's green.

Can UK farmers still use red diesel?

The distinction is important, because from April 2022 red diesel may no longer be used for certain purposes that fall outside of government-defined agricultural activities. So, if you use red diesel for a purpose outside of the ways you would ordinarily use it on the farm, you may be breaking the law.
Edited by IvorBiggun2

1 minute ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

BS. It's green.

Dude my kin have 8 dozers and Excavators, including D3s and D4 Cats. All of which I have persoanlly fueled.

Its dyed Red. Its for Off road only.  What permits are needed depends on the state, but dont get caught on a Highway with it.,

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Bad night? How about just having some fun and dealing with the consequences? Shttt happens and this dead guy didn't do anything outrageously dangerous IMO.  From your perspective though it was irresponsible which I  respect but I take larger risks all the time with little concern.  

If I was in Laos, or TH, and felt ill, munched on by mozzies, and felt the need to go to a doc or hospital, first thing I do is ask for a dengue test.

That uncommon common sense.  If treated early, most survive, especially if younger & healthy.

13 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

I had it too. It's not known as breakbone fever for nothing.

I had it 7 years ago, my symptoms weren't as serious as that, I had a rash, completely lost my appetite (didn't eat anything for three days) and had dizzy spells. A doctor told me the symptoms were due to my age (69 at the time). I decided to get checked at the hospital where they took urine and blood samples. when I took the lab report to the doctor he emitted a tut tut, shook his head and said immediate emission, your body is going into shock. I was a bed patient for 4 days where I slept 24 hours a day and was woken up every 2 hours for pills and oxygen. After recovery I was weak for three months afterwards. I was told if I got it again it would be worse but you can't walk around being scared of your own shadow.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

No it is not. So obviously your'e full of BS. Agri diesel is the fuel used for non-road mobile machinery such as tractors, excavators, etc. It is dyed green in colour.

Not in Thailand, green was used to describe the tax free idea that was going to be implemented that was expected to be finalized by the end of 2023, and then to be forwarded to parliament in 2024 for consideration. When was it agreed ? 

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

If I was in Laos, or TH, and felt ill, munched on by mozzies, and felt the need to go to a doc or hospital, first thing I do is ask for a dengue test.

That uncommon common sense.  If treated early, most survive, especially if younger & healthy.

Fair enough.  I probably would assume the hospital would check for Dengue but a more proactive response definitely wouldn't hurt.  The risks of death are slim so I wouldn't be overly concerned but then it could be too late.  I would still be one of those types that isn't overly concerned... 

Been to ER's in many countries and survived the painful experiences( most were the result of random bad luck more than bad choices but not all).  We all make choices and some are just better at dealing with the consequences as well as making better choices.  If someone dies because they make a questionable choice, I definitely wouldn't nonchalantly drink my morning coffee and think good riddance. Sad day for his loved ones.

1 minute ago, RAZZELL said:

Is it worth getting vaccinated?

RAZZ

Maybe and I might.  I live in the jungle basically with ponds and streams on the property.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cereal said:

We have 3 of these pots around our house and they are there for a purpose. Yes, they do attract mosquitos, which is why they are there. The thing is, you must put fish in them. The tiny guppy looking things are perfect. The mosquitos naturally lay their eggs in the standing water and the fish eat the eggs. They help keep the mosquito problem down. people who visit us regularly marvel at how sitting around in our yard mosquitos are simply not an issue. 

Too good to be true 🙂 I might try but I have my serious doubts it will make the slightest difference. Worth trying...

I had a very strange illness a few years ago that 'could' have been dengue. I had a very high fever, felt like death and my gums bled when I brush my teeth.....I went to the hospital later and the doctor said it could have been but it was too late to test???....the bleeding gums is something I have never had before or since. 

• Agree 1

Just now, 248900_1469958220 said:

I had a very strange illness a few years ago that 'could' have been dengue. I had a very high fever, felt like death and my gums bled when I brush my teeth.....I went to the hospital later and the doctor said it could have been but it was too late to test???....the bleeding gums is something I have never had before or since. It lasted about 1 week.

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

I had dengue in Delhi, exactly the same symptoms, so I suppose that's confirmation.

Apparently, that's the "mild" version, I really wouldn't want to get the more serious variants.

No, it scared me....standing there with a high fever, barely able to function and then I see blood dripping from my gums...stuff of nightmares!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

... then I see blood dripping from my gums

Kill the vampire!!! Where's my wooden stake??

• Haha 2