Do we actually need to Retire?

On 6/5/2024 at 2:29 AM, georgegeorgia said:

I actually met a guy in Pattaya who told me he retired from the UK civil service at 55 and regretted it ,said he wished he had gone to 65

All this media hype about retiring ,like we should !

Did you regret retiring?

Is there anything wrong with someone who doesn't retire say at 60 or even 65?

I'm thinking of just working and taking 2 X  trips a year to Asia instead of retiring 

Many countries have now no set retirement age 

Do any of you still WORK past 60?

Are you happy to WORK?

I took early retirement at 58, never regretted a single day.

• Agree 1

I actually met a guy in Pattaya who told me he retired from the UK civil service at 55 and regretted it ,said he wished he had gone to 65

All this media hype about retiring ,like we should !

Did you regret retiring?

Is there anything wrong with someone who doesn't retire say at 60 or even 65?

I'm thinking of just working and taking 2 X  trips a year to Asia instead of retiring 

Many countries have now no set retirement age 

Are you happy to WORK?

Well, the best for any retirement fond/govt would be to jump directly from your workplace into the coffin.🙏

• Agree 1

I was last in paid employment at 58. Thai wife and I decided to come to Thailand and build on our land and start a hobby business the wife could run. That all went well but COVID came along and ended my hope of working another 2-4 years as an senior level organizational change manager. I miss it...a lot...but at close to 66 it is likely too late now.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2024 at 4:12 AM, gargamon said:

Retired at 45. Been with around 1500 different women since. It sure beats working.

Maybe one day you will find one who suits your needs

On 6/5/2024 at 4:12 PM, KhunLA said:

Surprised more than a few would rather work till they keel over, than retire.   Thoughts of retirement gave me the drive to produce as fast as I comfortably could while still having fun.

Seriously could not have imagined me working another 20 yrs, to 'retirement age' let along any longer.

Everyone to their own as they say

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Not everyone wants to RETIRE full time to South East Asia , and I say ASIA, because there are guys on here who are in Philippines and Cambodia and Vietnam etc ,don't be so selfish to talk about Thailand only!

But please don't get me off topic ,I forget what I was saying now ,but some guys who are say 65yo  may be better to work 6 months of the year in their OWN country and 6 months  relaxing in ASIA rather than live a full boring 12 months say in Pattaya getting bored in the View talay condos doing nothing !!!!!!

Personally I'm glad to be back in Australia after that 6 weeks imprisonment in the View talay condos 

Rewind 2 weeks ago and I was forced on a Sunday to sit by that pool listening and watching old farts on Zimmer frames before being locked up in my cell in those noisy rooms 

There are plenty of part time jobs for mature aged guys 

Edited by georgegeorgia

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Irish star said:

I retired at 45 , never looked back 

To retire at 45 you either need a pension (disability) from your home country ,enough to survive

Rental income 

Or a big savings account to withdraw from when you need 

Or a business income generating money 

Edited by georgegeorgia

Just now, georgegeorgia said:

To retire at 45 you either need a pension (disability) from your home country 

Or a big savings account to withdraw from

Or a business income 

Or a Big Fat House on Twin Peaks in San Francisco Air B and My SF  Newspaper Pensions 

Made redundant at 55. Was working in IT. Hard to get another job, did part-time manual work/sick benefit for 2 more years, then took my pension. It would have been nice to have worked another 2 years because my pension at 58 was borderline for retiring to Thailand. But do i regret it retiring early? No way! those first 6 years here were great!

The right question here is do we actually want to pay tax in Thailand, retired or no ?

Of course the answer is a straight NO.

Shift and leave Thailand asap, for those who can.

Are you happy to WORK?

Yes, I'm now 66 and I still work, though consultancy work, and only for about 3 months a year. I see no reason to stop whilst people are still happy to offer me work. 

Yes, but I enjoy what I do, if it was working shift at the widget factory I suspect I'd quit at the earliest opportunity.

• Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, rickudon said:

Made redundant at 55. Was working in IT. Hard to get another job, did part-time manual work/sick benefit for 2 more years, then took my pension. It would have been nice to have worked another 2 years because my pension at 58 was borderline for retiring to Thailand. But do i regret it retiring early? No way! those first 6 years here were great!

So you worked to 58, the. Got the disability pension until 65?

I think about 2016 the Australian Government done a audit on Aussies living in Asia all on Disability pension for various reasons,back problem,mental problem etc 

They then changed the rules saying you are only allowed 3 months overseas which brought home many disability recipients all forced back to work in Australia 

Retired at 81-and never looked back!  Thought I would regret giving up a 60 year career teaching.  Learned a thing or two since.  Both good work and freedom can be very satisfying.

On 6/9/2024 at 5:03 PM, georgegeorgia said:

So you worked to 58, the. Got the disability pension until 65?

I think about 2016 the Australian Government done a audit on Aussies living in Asia all on Disability pension for various reasons,back problem,mental problem etc 

They then changed the rules saying you are only allowed 3 months overseas which brought home many disability recipients all forced back to work in Australia

Not disability. Sick benefit was due to the injuries i kept getting doing the part-time job - injured both shoulders, required physiotherapy and also back, required chiropractor. last injury kept me off work for 3 months. My body just was not up to the heavy lifting. So i stopped work at 57.5 and took early retirement at age 58 from my company pension, from the job i was made redundant from, so then could not get any benefits. At 65 got state pension.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rickudon said:

Not disability. Sick benefit was due to the injuries i kept getting doing the part-time job - injured both shoulders, required physiotherapy and also back, required chiropractor. last injury kept me off work for 3 months. My body just was not up to the heavy lifting. So i stopped work at 57.5 and took early retirement at age 58 from my company pension, from the job i was made redundant from, so then could not get any benefits. At 65 got state pension.

Obviously your not in Australia luckily , because you can't get your own retirement savings (superannuation) until 60...then to make it more DIFFICULT you have to wait until 67 to get the govt old age pension,and to make that more difficult you have to be in the Country 2 years before applying !!!