Can foreigners rent apartments and make them into Airbnb?

I want to start an Airbnb chain of my own by renting apartments in the Sukhumvit area and redecorating and turning them into Airbnb. May I ask about the legal process and if it is possible to do so as a foreigner? I am a ASEAN citizen so I am allowed to come to Thailand for tourism only but I can get a work permit if I do decide to move to Thailand. Please help me! 

Posted (edited)

As far as I know, not legally, but take advice, as that may be out of date info. If that is your plan OP, I'm surprised that you are not already using a Lawyer and indeed that you are asking on here, an open forum, where you have no idea who you are engaging with. .  Don't be naive, get good legal advice before you do anything. 

Edited by Doctor Tom

That would be between you and whom ever you are renting from.   As pointed, many condo don't allow.  But non condo, private owners of property may.

So the OP is asking to rent by lease and then sublease to Air B&B.

All I can say is the owner better have a cause in the lease restricting this activity.

I can see why they charge two months security deposit.

I have a suspicion this will not end well.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

As far as I know, not legally, but take advice, as that may be out of date info. If that is your plan OP, I'm surprised that you are not already using a Lawyer and indeed that you are asking on here, an open forum, where you have no idea who you are engaging with. .  Don't be naive, get good legal advice before you do anything. 

Thank you for your advice, I'm asking to see if there is any testimonial. But I highly doubt that now reading all the comments here..

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

ive done it...putting my own apt on there and doing it with a thai buddy and his moms house which has a huge room right by TP gate.....aka homestay

May I know if it was a success?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, releasethekraken said:

I'm sure you're right 😅 But can you elaborate?

Can you imagine the differences between a residential neighborhood and a resort cluster?

Edited by Bill97

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, releasethekraken said:

I'm sure you're right 😅 But can you elaborate?

Subletting is mostly not allowed.

Airbnb for less than a month isn't legal.

You would be running business, so need a company.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1

On 6/4/2024 at 11:32 PM, releasethekraken said:

I want to start an Airbnb chain of my own by renting apartments in the Sukhumvit area and redecorating and turning them into Airbnb. May I ask about the legal process and if it is possible to do so as a foreigner? I am a ASEAN citizen so I am allowed to come to Thailand for tourism only but I can get a work permit if I do decide to move to Thailand. Please help me! 

I believe this is exactly what Tim Newton (Australian) does.  He has a few Airbnb houses he rents on Phuket.  See his YouTube channel - Tim Newton Today (TNT).