Thailand to tax residents’ foreign income irrespective of remittance

23 minutes ago, AreYouGerman said:

And the next step is most likely to get the AEOIs from other countries into Thailand going which means your bank/broker outside of Thailand will submit data to Thailand, automatically

They already do.

My broker has been sending my data to Thailand for years 

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

It might also "clear out" a lot of good people. Spouses, fathers and mothers etc. Real people (not sexpats) who are prepared to make sacrifices and devot their lives for the greater good of their families. And because of this many may no longer be able to do so, not at the same level anyway.

But where would they go?

Leave their family over tax?

Or take their family abroad where life would likely be harder financially?

The riff raff you speak of are, in real terms a very small minority.

Minority of the farang community!

And let's not forget that Thailand is almost completely incapable of taxing it's own citizens.

This is the hilarious part.

They can't govern themselves. It's like the Wild West 

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Agree 2

I doubt that this will have any impact on the vast majority of us.

Let's face it, despite various TMxxs, 90 day reports, computerised systems and so forth they fail to keep track of some spectacular overstayers!

This is, I suspect, aimed at those Thai nationals who have significant often inexplicable assets overseas, and receive income from them.

Mind you, it could be entertaining - those people are often themselves " influential" or well connected to people who are!

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

A lot of Chinese citizens investing in real estate and moving here. Maybe they're the prime target? Just guessing like most of us.

• Agree 2

As I stated before, I won't declare anything and they won't find anything because I will do all my transactions in cash. When I run out of cash, I will go to neighbouring countries for refueling. I will lose on the exchange but this will be peanuts compared to what is ongoing. The only issue would be if they start a taxing system on your cash at the border, but good luck with that one

19 minutes ago, Antti said:

I don't believe this will actually happen but if it did, do they really think that they can tax foreigners on worldwide income and not give anything in return (i.e. health care, social security etc.)? At least in Europe, generally speaking, if you pay taxes you are entitled to same benefits as native citizens.  

Tax and social security are different payments in the West, no?

And to get social security, you have to be working to make contributions, right? Or pay a higher rate to make voluntary contributions 

1 minute ago, Dmaxdan said:

the vast majority of Thai people will never pay so much as one baht of tax in their entire lives, no matter how much they earn. 

Well, apart from the 7% they pay on every purchase they make.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1