Thailand to tax residents’ foreign income irrespective of remittance

14 hours ago, bg53 said:

If Thailand taxes on a worldwide basis, there will be a mass exodus of expats.

Maybe that's their goal, and with some of the behavior of some expats, can you blame them.    Considering most of the hatred of TH and Thais on this forum, I can wonder why they would want many here.

• Confused 2

14 hours ago, beammeup said:

So this only affects individuals with income over 1 billion Baht?

I can't see it affecting the moaners and groaners on here posting vitriole from their fan rooms.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Ok. Then what do I get in return from the Thai Government for paying my fair share in taxes?  At least in the US I can apply for public assistance like food stamps or if I get disabled I can apply for SSDI.  It's almost like "foreigner you pay but get nothing". I know it's to pay for safe roads, sidewalks and the excellent emergency services like police and fire????

When I worked in the US as a resident alien I paid a <deleted> load of tax and didn’t have access to many of the services available to American citizens. 

welcome to expat life 🙂 

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

its just one piece of bull<deleted> after the other in this country.

I always said i would never buy a house here, and in a moment of stupidness, I did.

Not that expensive though, at 5 million baht, so not a huge deal

For sure I will be using Thailand as my home base for 1 day under 6 mnths a year.

Vietnam for 3, maybe Philippines for 3 months also

Might even buy myself a cheap house in the north of England from Auction for under 10k GBP.

I have had it with the bull<deleted> here now...........its just ridiculous.

Still a lot to enjoy here however, the normal Thai people, the food, the countryside, the beaches, etc........and also my Thai GF.

So i will ljust cut myself off from this crap and enjoy for under 6 months.

Will keep Retirement Extension though, as cheaper and easier than any other method, unless they do actually bring n the 60 day visa, and that might be an option, but that does not work for six months, even with extensions.

Welcome to the wonderful world of tax planning Sir 😉

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Probably means companies and online platforms earning income of 1 billion baht. Probably just a term tax and accountants used when speaking as the reporter has written it.

Becoming a common approach. If you buy a Microsoft licence for example it is sold to you from Ireland so Microsoft pays zero tax. Countries are now insisting on a slice for sales to their residents.

Youtube ad revenue and the like is also under review

19 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Thailand follow their laws if you are living/resident in Thailand. You can make use of the DTA to manage the type of income and offset taxes already paid in the UK.

How does that work if I'm not eligible to pay tax in the UK?

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And what about if you are not eligible to pay tax in your home country due to a low income level? The UK keeps raising the minimum level required before you need to pay tax, for example.

I for one will no longer transfer any money into Thailand and pay most of my bills with a foreign credit card, as I do if I book a hotel or flight.

Those are your home countries rules. Thailand has their rules. Refer to the DTA which incomes may be excluded from being taxed in Thailand.

There is the usual wording in the DTA for incomes that it may be taxed in both jurisdictions, depends on each of the countries taxation laws.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, sandrew33 said:

Not really. The tax free threshold in the UK is about £12000 but this only applies to UK Tax Residents. 

If you are no longer UK Tax Resident and are instead a Thai tax resident then your UK income would not prima facie be covered by the tax free threshold. You’d need to check your personal circumstances in the UK. 

Thailand can tax Thai tax residents as it sees fit under Thai Law. Nothing to do with the UK EXCEPT where it’s covered under the double tax treaty between the 2 countries. 

Would they tax me on money I spend using my UK credit card?

I am still curious about how this country can tax income that is earned and deposited overseas? If it is earned in another country then their respective banks would be reporting it to the local tax. But they can only do that because you signed releases to allow it when opening the account. Thailand banks may have new rules to make you sign a release so they can gain this information. But what about older accounts? Would anyone actually sign something new to allow them this authorization? None of my Thailand banks have my tax or income information other than receiving wire transfers from another country. If they request blanket permission to access my banks private information I would refuse and take my money from their bank. If they request access to my tax information from abroad I would not be able to give it since I never file taxes there. Un-taxable income is not required to file a tax return. So there is no record for them to check anyway. 

Given the really bad security issues dealing with banks leaking your personal information make me think it is not a good idea to provide banks with data from my country. 

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2425127/police-nab-state-officials-selling-user-information-to-scammers

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thai-bank-officer-nabbed-for-selling-customer-data-in-nonthaburi

Does anyone else feel there may be risks in giving more information to the banks in Thailand than is absolutely necessary or to the government about the money we have or make outside of Thailand? 

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, Djinn91 said:

Laughable and will only affect those companies with 1 billion baht in foreign income. (good luck enforcing it anyways)

Not sure why all the Farang get scared. they're not coming for you 200-800K baht...

Read the last paragraph.  This is from my accountant 

Here is a link to an article we wrote about the new changes starting from 1 Jan 2024. https://www.hlbthai.com/new-rule-for-taxation-of-foreign-income/

14 hours ago, timendres said:

An article on Bangkok Post clearly shows that they are discussing taxing worldwide income.

Currently, only two countries on the planet do this. The USA and Eritrea.

This is a desperate act by the Thai government, and demonstrates that things are not good.

that's why campaign promises in order to win elections should look at the coffers prior to making such announcements...now getting the funds together for those promises is difficult to say the least.

15 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Goodness, we've only got 3 and a bit weeks to pack up and get the hell out of here!

Already moved ourselves. Using the house in Hua Hin for family vacations, not just us but our kids. 3months here, 3 months back to the US, rinse and repeat.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, thesetat said:

I am still curious about how this country can tax income that is earned and deposited overseas? If it is earned in another country then their respective banks would be reporting it to the local tax. But they can only do that because you signed releases to allow it when opening the account. Thailand banks may have new rules to make you sign a release so they can gain this information. But what about older accounts? Would anyone actually sign something new to allow them this authorization? None of my Thailand banks have my tax or income information other than receiving wire transfers from another country. If they request blanket permission to access my banks private information I would refuse and take my money from their bank. If they request access to my tax information from abroad I would not be able to give it since I never file taxes there. Un-taxable income is not required to file a tax return. So there is no record for them to check anyway. 

Given the really bad security issues dealing with banks leaking your personal information make me think it is not a good idea to provide banks with data from my country. 

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2425127/police-nab-state-officials-selling-user-information-to-scammers

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thai-bank-officer-nabbed-for-selling-customer-data-in-nonthaburi

Does anyone else feel there may be risks in giving more information to the banks in Thailand than is absolutely necessary or to the government about the money we have or make outside of Thailand? 

This whole thing only shows that they live in a state of complete delusion. They have no means of enforcement of this new foreign tax regime. The only country on the planet that can do this is the US, due to the fact that the USD is the reference global currency, if a bank decides not to comply they just cut it off from USD transfer, all USD bank transfers have to go through the US. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, bg53 said:

If Thailand taxes on a worldwide basis, there will be a mass exodus of expats.

It would never get passed, as some other countries only tax their Citizens on their worldwide income, suffice to say, it all boils down to education here, and we all know that they learn very little here.

So someone has jumped the gun, confused as usual in the LOS with that dump smile as if to say, it would appear even the top brass has no idea between the difference of a resident and a citizen.

Edited by 4MyEgo