Thailand to tax residents’ foreign income irrespective of remittance

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

An update to those who are genuinely interested in knowing what is happening - especially if DTAs are required to be used - which it looks like they will be.  It seems many people are thinking like in the West - the rules are this, so that happens - it does not work like that here. I strongly suggest reading @Dogmatix last post - this is a clusterphar.......

There is no online TRD process or document that allows an Expat to easily lodge a tax return using their country's DTA to exempt anything already taxed, or to claim any exemption or allowances included in their DTA with Thailand.  I have had it confirmed by 2 tax accountant organisations that if I want to lodge a tax return using any part of a DTA for exclusions or allowances or just plain exemptions, I will need to provide detailed techncial and legal information that will be almost impossible for a layman to do in Thailand - they said I will need to use their services and I believed them.  They both currently use DTAs in the tax returns that they do for overseas companies, and they have absolutely convinced me it will not be an easy thing to do for an 'ordinary' Expat.

I gave them the details of the financial situation for myself and my Thai wife, and they advised me that their probable costs to do a tax return using the Australian DTA would be - 70-80K and 80-90K.  I have that in writing if anyone wants to PM for a copy. 

It will NOT be a simple matter if Expats are forced to lodge a tax return by TRD/Thai Govt, if they need to use the DTA to either exempt or reduce their taxation liability to Thailand.  IMO TRD will not be creating an online DTA tax lodgment process/document according to both the tax experts. IMO as soon as TRD realised how hard it would be, given that there are 61 separate DTAs and all of them are different in some way, they threw up their hands and shut their mouths.  The tax experts showed me what I did not know - TRD are caught in a very hard place - they are being pushed by the Thai Govt to start making Thais and Expats pay more income taxes. Their new Boss (Ms.Kulaya Tantitemit) is being very compliant to the new Govt,  and like all Thai bosses she has the 'Picard Syndrome' and thinks if she says 'make it so' - it will just happen.

Deleted

Edited by Klonko

On 7/5/2024 at 7:54 PM, Mike Lister said:

The TRD Code states that a Thai tax resident must obtain a Thai TIN, within 60 days of exceeding the minimum threshold (60k, 120k or 220k) regardless of whether tax is payable or not.

Exceeding the minimum threshold of what? Income? Inward remittance? Remitting money from abroad does not automatically make it income.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JimGant said:

also, as an American I file my taxes every January upon receipt of my 1099R - I have a complete copy of my 1040R for the last 5 years as required by the IRS.  But until the LTR no longer will exemt all funds remitted, I shouldn't have any problem providing proof - my visa which I used the 1040's for financial requirement and if that isn't sufficient, those 1040's also indicate that my pension is paid to me by the US GOVT.  Anyway, prior to worrying about all this, I am awaiting word from the Thai RD hopefully prior to 2025 concerning details about this program.  GOod luck tgo all!

44 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

To be clear, you are suggesting that tax residents simply "hide" income such as US Social Security from a Thai tax return rather than documenting on the return that a DTA shields that US income from Thai taxation.

Exactly where on the return would you put this information? Per the DTA, this income does not exist for any Thai taxation purpose. Are you suggesting the TRD wants footnotes of all non assessable income not being reported?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I gave them the details of the financial situation for myself and my Thai wife, and they advised me that their probable costs to do a tax return using the Australian DTA would be - 70-80K and 80-90K

Idiots can do it if they want to.

That is exactly how much money my wife paid the immigration lawyer to do her Canadian Permanent Residency.

Almost as good of a deal as buying real estate in Bangkok. 

On 7/6/2024 at 9:30 PM, topt said:

Who's "usual definition" is that - or just a nice round number you came up with.........?

Merely indicative of the usual money snob quote from members of this forum. Even though I draw about100 thousand baht a month in retirement income, there are many on this forum who consider me a backpacker. This attitude is what drives the Immigration idea that Thailand needs only wealthy expats.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, JohnnyBD said:

US Social Security is deemed to be non-assessable income when remitted to Thailand and as such is not required to be reported. It is not about hiding income from the Thai authorities, it is simply not required to be reported.

So I can remit funds to Thailand, but not report it, and claim it's a large Social Security pension.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

Has this been raised yet, I can't go back and check out 65 pages? lol.

As far as I was aware, everything that's been garnered from this tax mess so far has agreed that any savings overseas that you can prove you had prior to 1/1/2024 can still be remitted into Thailand tax-free when it suits you, say to buy a property. Now this article says something completely different, that the tax-free exemption on remitted savings only lasts until 1/1/2025. And he doesn't just say it once, but twice, so he sounds pretty certain.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/new-tax-rules-for-foreign-sourced-income-464735

38 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

So I can remit funds to Thailand, but not report it, and claim it's a large Social Security pension.

Maybe same for old age pensions from other countries?

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

As long as TRD does not ask for proof and you are willing to pay fines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

Has this been raised yet, I can't go back and check out 65 pages? lol.

As far as I was aware, everything that's been garnered from this tax mess so far has agreed that any savings overseas that you can prove you had prior to 1/1/2024 can still be remitted into Thailand tax-free when it suits you, say to buy a property. Now this article says something completely different, that the tax-free exemption on remitted savings only lasts until 1/1/2025. And he doesn't just say it once, but twice, so he sounds pretty certain.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/new-tax-rules-for-foreign-sourced-income-464735

He's confused and is guessing, the tax law says he's quite wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

He's confused and is guessing, the tax law says he's quite wrong.

There was a response in one of these threads where the speaker was asked about that and admitted to being misteaken. 

see page 63, "tomkenet"

Edited by NoDisplayName
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1