World Exceeds Critical 1.5°C Warming Threshold for Past Year, Scientists Warn

image.png

Global temperatures have consistently exceeded the crucial 1.5°C warming threshold over the past 12 months, signaling a troubling trend in the battle against climate change. According to new data from Copernicus, the EU's climate monitoring service, the global average temperatures from June 2023 to May 2024 were 1.63°C above the pre-industrial baseline (1850-1900).

This short-term breach of the 1.5°C threshold is not equivalent to a permanent state of global warming above this critical level, which international climate agreements strive to avoid. However, it serves as a stark reminder of the persistent rise in temperatures driven by human-induced carbon emissions and underscores the urgent need for sustained efforts to mitigate these emissions.

"It is shocking but not surprising that we have reached this 12-month streak," said Carlo Buontempo, director of the Copernicus Climate Change Service. "While this sequence of record-breaking months will eventually be interrupted, the overall signature of climate change remains and there is no sign in sight of a change in such a trend."

The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) has also sounded the alarm, predicting that at least one of the next five calendar years will exceed 1.5°C of warming. With greenhouse gas emissions returning to pre-COVID levels, the WMO anticipates that average global surface temperatures from 2024 to 2028 will be between 1.1°C and 1.9°C warmer than the 1850-1900 average. They estimate there is an 86% chance that at least one of these years will surpass 2023, the current warmest year on record globally.

"We are playing Russian roulette with our planet," warned UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres. "The battle to limit temperature rise to 1.5 degrees will be won or lost in the 2020s - under the watch of leaders today."

These warnings come as global leaders convene in Bonn, Germany, to assess progress on international climate negotiations ahead of the COP 29 global climate summit in Baku, Azerbaijan, in November. The recent data shows that May 2024 was the hottest May on record, with global average temperatures 0.65°C higher than the 1991-2020 average. It also marked the 12th consecutive month of record-breaking global temperatures.

Despite the slowdown in the rise of global carbon emissions in recent years, they have not yet peaked. Agreements reached at COP 28 in Dubai to triple the amount of renewable energy generated worldwide by 2030 have yet to be fully realized. The International Energy Agency (IEA) reported on Monday that most countries are not on track to meet the 2030 target. Current plans for renewable energy deployment fall about one-third short, with an estimated 8,000 GW of renewable energy expected to be deployed globally by the end of the decade. Notably, China alone is projected to contribute 3,180 GW through wind and solar projects.

This situation underscores the pressing need for enhanced international cooperation and stronger policy measures to accelerate the transition to renewable energy and curb greenhouse gas emissions. The next few years are critical in determining whether the global community can limit temperature rise and avert the most catastrophic impacts of climate change.

Credit: Sky News 2024-06-07

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and yet the "leaders of today" do nothing much, except try to impose more tax.

Where is the action?

You likely drive around in a turbo diesel pick up truck belching black smoke.

• Like 1

"For more than 30 years, the science has been crystal clear...

"The popular idea of cutting our emissions in half in 10 years only gives us a 50% chance of staying below 1.5 degrees [Celsius], and the risk of setting off irreversible chain reactions beyond human control.

Fifty percent may be acceptable to you. But those numbers do not include tipping points, most feedback loops, additional warming hidden by toxic air pollution or the aspects of equity and climate justice."

Whoever said that is more intelligent than our leaders.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, koolkarl said:

You likely drive around in a turbo diesel pick up truck belching black smoke.

The last time I filled up it was with petrol. Does that mean my smoke belching diesel truck will seize up?

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

You and a conspiracy theory, or a large number of scientists from different countries who have a fair idea what they are talking about.

I have yet to hear of any solutions from them that is affordable, acceptable and works.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tug said:

Ahhh have you been asleep?we are doing lots here in the states I think New Zealand is progressive in this regard yes?

Hardly progressive. NZ was blessed with a lot of potential for hydro and a very small population. Pretty much run out of rivers to dam and they've been letting in so many people that we might run out of capacity. Auckland depends on a coal burning power station.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Looks like the pro global warming, climate change politicians in the WEF, WHO, UN paid the most to the scientists to get the figures they wanted. 

More tax, more limitations, more control.

Yep , all about Power and money, Same as all Religions.

Brainwashing people  with what doesn't exist.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Roo Island said:

Oh, I'm certain that our illustrious ( sarcasm alert ) leaders will try to make us pay for it, but that may see them gone at the next election.

IMO they will talk a lot and do very little, just as they are doing now. If they were actually serious, they would ban all recreational air travel and all private cars in cities, but IMO they ain't serious at all. IMO they know that whatever they do, it ain't going to change anything.

We are doomed.

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I have yet to hear of any solutions from them that is affordable, acceptable and works.

Fair enough.

Have you heard of any solutions from the posters here that are affordable, acceptable That works?

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Fair enough.

Have you heard of any solutions from the posters here that are affordable, acceptable That works?

Actually I've heard of zero solutions from the pro MMCC lot. They just keep saying the world is warming.

Personally I don't think there are any solutions we humans can do to change it, regardless of what caused it.

I suspect Obama knows that with his Hawaiian waterfront property.

Perhaps they can put a big sunscreen up in space and plunge us into a new ice age. That'll sure solve global warming.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Oh, I'm certain that our illustrious ( sarcasm alert ) leaders will try to make us pay for it, but that may see them gone at the next election.

IMO they will talk a lot and do very little, just as they are doing now. If they were actually serious, they would ban all recreational air travel and all private cars in cities, but IMO they ain't serious at all. IMO they know that whatever they do, it ain't going to change anything.

We are doomed.

I was in the Maldives not long ago. Due to rising sea levels, they are having to build a wall around the entire airport. Nothing to do with politicians except their lack of action.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, billd766 said:

What a pity that you did not post a link stating that climate change politicians in the WEF, WHO, UN paid the most to the scientists to get the figures they wanted.

From what I can see it is only your word against theirs.

The next question is who would I believe?

You and a conspiracy theory, or a large number of scientists from different countries who have a fair idea what they are talking about.

Google is your friend. there are numerous videos on line of researchers being brought to task for false information, both in the U.S. and Australia. But hey, you believe what you want, I will follow the money trail, and believe what I want. That is our right......at the moment.

• Haha 2