Petition to Recriminalize Cannabis Reportedly Signed by Over 100,000 People

Posted (edited)

Must be very impressive to find 100,000 people signing it, knowing half lives of government jobs and the like and usually likes a certain flavor. We should for fun make this online thing to sign as well, for people who agree to keep it legal, we likely hit a million in 3 days.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, wazzupnow said:

and all this commotion because of 1 idiot who decriminalised it in the first place

what was this idiot thinking 

all cities are stinking now because chief Crazy Eyes and his tribe are allowed to smoke every where

yes please behave like a normal country for once and ban smoking in public

legalise space cake and any other form off use that does not stink up environment

but get this filth from the streets

I think it’s banned from public consumption already. But you know what that means in Thailand. Sweet FA.

• Confused 1

Did these 100,000 people ever consider a simple solution: if you don't like cannabis, don't use it. Why ruin the fun for the rest? 

• Thanks 1

Just now, SS1 said:

Did these 100,000 people ever consider a simple solution: if you don't like cannabis, don't use it. Why ruin the fun for the rest? 

It's called black and white reasoning, it's famous with Thais.

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

You shouldn’t be driving if you’re using Cannabis regularly.

Same could be said about people using alcohol regularly. Justice is even-handed. Or should be..

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

"Petition to Recriminalize Cannabis Reportedly Signed by Over 100,000 People"

If that would read 1 million people, than you have a place to start from, but at a 100k

signatures it's a drop in the ocean and meaningless...

It's still way ahead of the poll of 1500 taken of Thais that didn't want foreigners/tourists a few years ago, how well did that pan out

18 minutes ago, bobbin said:
1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

You shouldn’t be driving if you’re using Cannabis regularly.

Same could be said about people using alcohol regularly. Justice is even-handed. Or should be

They need a road test like the breathalyser for cannabis otherwise it's hard to determine. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, stoner said:

They need a road test like the breathalyser for cannabis otherwise it's hard to determine. 

As far as I know, it can not be done at present.. Reason being that they are different substances. Cannabis can be detected much longer than alcohol. Does not mean that you are "under the influence".

At present only pre-breathalyser  methods "could" be used.

How do they handle this in Canada?

Edited by bobbin

1 hour ago, wazzupnow said:

and all this commotion because of 1 idiot who decriminalised it in the first place

what was this idiot thinking 

all cities are stinking now because chief Crazy Eyes and his tribe are allowed to smoke every where

yes please behave like a normal country for once and ban smoking in public

legalise space cake and any other form off use that does not stink up environment

but get this filth from the streets

Prone to using a bit of hyperbole are we?!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

I couldn’t care less whether people choose to use cannabis or not, their choice.

but I do object to my having to put up with the smell these shops generate. Riding down the road on my motorbike I know when I am passing a cannabis shop simply by the smell wafting across the road. And a couple of restaurants I like are now out of bounds due to the smell from newly opened cannabis shops next door. 

I can’t speak for other areas in Thailand, but in Phuket most cannabis shops seems to have outside seating areas where patrons can smoke and socialize. The smell generated is very unpleasant for those around them.

it’s all very reminiscent of the days when going to a pub or even in an office would leave one’s clothes reeking of cigarette smoke.

Individuals can do what they want to themselves, but why should others suffer?

Hard to believe you would actually forsake eating at a favourite restaurant because the smell of a joint might waft your way! I am not so sure that the smells from the shops or of people smoking privately are in fact detectable from the streets. I did not once smell weed in the month I spent in Thailand last year - Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, and I myself am a user.  Seemed to me that everyone abided by the regulations as to where smoking was allowed. None of the many shops I entered or encountered had an outdoor seating area. Maybe Phuket does but it is a tourist area so demand is probably high, and theoretically tourists would not be allowed to smoke it legally on their hotel balconies or smoking areas. I had so much trouble finding places to smoke last year that I have opted to stay in an apartment building from last year simply because I was able to smoke or rather vape on the balcony there last year.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, goatfarmer said:

The claim is that of representative sample, not a referendum. 

That would be acceptable if the question on the petition was fair.

Anyone seen the petition?

As far as having a debate or even a vote is concerned, that's not how Thai government works. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, wazzupnow said:

say hello to chief crazy eyes and the rest of your tribe

Wazz, you shouldn't start drinking so early. It will kill you.

Edited by aussiebrian
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bobbin said:

Same could be said about people using alcohol regularly. Justice is even-handed. Or should be..

I agree

3 hours ago, stoner said:

In the UK they have something they wipe on your tongue, in 8 minutes it gives an indication for Cannabis and another for Cocaine.  If positive they are arrested and taken to the police station for a blood sample to determine whether it exceeds the legal limit.  The policeman at the roadside has a good feel for the amount depending on how quickly a positive result comes up. Cannabis use within 36-48 hours will give a positive test result.

Posted (edited)

This anti-weed sentiment is all contrived to support the order given by capo di tutti capi aka Tony to make weed illegal.  No public consultation needed.  No issue that it destroys businesses, jobs and tax revenue and that it is going against the global trend to legalise. Tony wants this and he will get it or he will throw the teddy out of the pram.  This minister was installed kicking out his more reasonable predecessor purely to get this done.  Then he can be binned too.

If genuine public debate were allowed without a predetermined conclusion and they still came to this decision, then fair enough. 

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

100,000 of 56 million - not quite representative. But it would still be interesting to find out, why 100,000+ signed a petition. What is their fear?

I never touched the stuff and have no intention to do so but from whatever I've learnt, it is as "dangerous" as smoking or boozing and, unlike the afore-mentioned two addictions, neither life-threatening or addictive. I personally do not like the smell of a ganja-shop next door of an open air restaurant but that has to be sorted out between the restaurants and the cannabis shops. 

In closing, have you ever looked how many of those thousands of shops are having customers? From what I see, it cannot be thriving business. If they criminalize it again, the staff will wear nurse-uniforms, priced go up and extortion and blackmailing will be on the agenda again ......... 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Cannabis use within 36-48 hours will give a positive test result.

how far out does use get detected ? cannabis can remain in the system for up to and exceeding 30 days. 

5 minutes ago, stoner said:

how far out does use get detected ? cannabis can remain in the system for up to and exceeding 30 days. 

I think it's only detected for about 48 hours after a heavy session.

I don't know how they fixed the legal limit, I'm not aware of any kind of testing done to see if the legal limit of intoxication affects your ability to make timely and sensible decisions.

6 hours ago, bobbin said:

As far as I know, it can not be done at present.. Reason being that they are different substances. Cannabis can be detected much longer than alcohol. Does not mean that you are "under the influence".

At present only pre-breathalyser  methods "could" be used.

How do they handle this in Canada?

in a similar way. a roadside test to determine if the drug is in the system or not. then a further blood test at the station if needed. here is a little info...

When a police officer pulls you over, they must have reason to believe that you are driving while impaired by cannabis or other drugs. This includes if they saw you driving erratically or dangerously, or how you speak and interact with the police officer. On location, the police officer can ask you to complete a Standardized Field Sobriety Test (SFST) or provide an oral fluid sample (police are authorized to use oral fluid testing devices as part of the Bill C-46 legislation). If the driver fails these tests, a police officer can demand a Drug Recognition Evaluation (DRE) or blood sample for testing. 

should note that the fluid test for thc is not very good as of yet. there are some groups fighting this as it is such a new thing. 

Just now, JBChiangRai said:

I think it's only detected for about 48 hours after a heavy session.

i took a pee test a number of years back to work in the oilfield. 34 days and she still found traces in my system. 

13 hours ago, stoner said:

They do in OZ it's easy to determine weed stays in your system for a couple of days if detected you will be walking home 

DrugWipe 6S Saliva Drug Testing Kit

DrugWipe 6S Saliva Drug Testing Kit is intended to be used for the qualitative detection of drugs in human saliva by trained professionals.

• Safe to use no—handling of saliva required.
  • Fast—results within 8 minutes.
  • No instrument required—visual reading only.
  • Suitable for point of incident and/or random screening.
  • Drugs the DrugWipe 6S detects: cannabis, opiates, cocaine, amphetamines/methamphetamines/ecstasy, benzodiazepines.

Just now, still kicking said:

DrugWipe 6S Saliva Drug Testing Kit

DrugWipe 6S Saliva Drug Testing Kit is intended to be used for the qualitative detection of drugs in human saliva by trained professionals.

• Safe to use no—handling of saliva required.
  • Fast—results within 8 minutes.
  • No instrument required—visual reading only.
  • Suitable for point of incident and/or random screening.
  • Drugs the DrugWipe 6S detects: cannabis, opiates, cocaine, amphetamines/methamphetamines/ecstasy, benzodiazepines.

Thus test cannot tell intoxication levels like a breathalyser can. Currently there are no tests for cannabis that can provide results as accurate as those for alcohol.

• Agree 1