Thai Last Will and Testament Question

LuckyG

20 minutes ago, LuckyG said:

Now after readiing comments made above, from LiverPool Lou, i wonder if this charade was even necessary or in any way productive. 

Well, you successfully registered your Will officially w/ the Amphur. Yes, you had to do it their way. Same as I did to get my yellow book and pink card. And so?

13 minutes ago, LuckyG said:
On 7/7/2024 at 10:49 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

No!  District offices do not have to be involved in any manner.

Is there an office that you would recommend to register will?  I am just trying to validate authenticity of the will for the sake of my Executor. 

No Thai government offices "validate" wills, nor is there any need for that, a will is either valid by virtue of being properly drawn up and witnessed, or it isn't.  Having a district office staff member look at it doesn't make it valid if it isn't already valid.  If you're referring to a desire to have the will acted upon without delay, the only government agency that can do that legally is the court that deals with administration/probate.  

https://www.samuiforsale.com/family-law/forms-of-wills-under-thai-law.

"The most common last will and testament in Thailand is a last will in writing, dated at the time of making and signed by the testator in the presence of at least 2 witnesses who sign their names to certify the signature of the testator (section 1656 of the Civil and Commercial Code). It is not required that such a will is notarized or registered for it to be a valid legal will".

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Having a district office staff member look at it doesn't make it valid if it isn't already valid. 

The Chiang Mai Admin Court is located right behind the District offices within the same compound, so im hoping the fact that the clerk created a doc summarizing Testator, Beneficiary, both Witnesses that was signed by the witnesses and myself, the testator, will help speed up whatever will make the will valid, hence, making the overall charade worthwhile.  Thanks for your input.  Im curious how you became so knowledgeable in this matter? do you happen to practice Thai law or work in this field of law?

31 minutes ago, LuckyG said:

im hoping the fact that the clerk created a doc summarizing Testator, Beneficiary, both Witnesses that was signed by the witnesses and myself, the testator, will help speed up whatever will make the will valid

The only things needed to make a will valid is for it to be in writing (apart from one very infrequent circumstance that does not apply n this thread), dated at the time of making and signed by the testator in the presence of at least 2 witnesses who sign their names to certify the signature of the testator.   Nothing else is needed, nothing.

"...help speed up whatever will make the will valid".

The validity of a will cannot be "sped up", administration/probate possibly could be sped up by the court for a valid will.   A legally prepared will is valid regardless of who, or which agency, looks at it, summarises it, copies it, records it or stamps it unless a more recent will supersedes it.