BKK Bank Anti American

6 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I guess this means that you can only have the Bkk Bank app on one device.

Yes, The app work on one device only, not the sim. I have changed my sim cards several times, and do not affect the app. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Allowing yanks to get a letter from their embassy saying they get a certain pension?

Income letter for immigration?

Has been stopped long ago.

While other countries still get.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Ok. Far from my retired expat horizon.

I read about the PITA of opening a bank account which seems to affect US citizens worse than others?

I am not an American but over the years I read about business in Thailand, visa regulations and many other things. And from time to time I read about some special conditions for Americans.

As far as I know there is also a law in the USA that Americans have to report their income from all over the world to America - or something like that.

So it is not difficult to imagine that there are also some special banking rules.

But apart from that different (Thai) Banks have different regulations and there are lots of bankers who don't know their own rules. It's not easy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

No. I am an American and just made a transfer from BBL to SCB (my account) using the mobile app (on my "old" phone - I'm trying to register a "new" phone, without success to date.

You won't be able to until you delete the old one in the device management settings.

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Told the wife to bury me at the house and don't tell anyone ... keep on collecting as long as possible.

hope the holes dug as should be any day now....and thais are always watching...nosey....good luck keeping it secret here

• Haha 1

If you opened an account at Bangkok Bank for the purpose of receiving Social Security benefits transmitted via Bangkok Bank's branch in New York, your account will not be able to make transfers via the Bangkok Bank mobile app. You will have to go in person with your passport to a branch and physically withdraw your money. This is the default type of account Bangkok Bank opens if you tell them you are opening it to have Social Security benefits deposited. I was told that this restriction is due to an agreement between Bangkok Bank and the Social Security Administration. 

If you use Social Security's direct deposit feature, then you can have the funds sent directly to any Thai bank, including Bangkok Bank, and you will be able to transfer funds via mobile apps. You won't, however, be able to use the special Bangkok Bank account that was set up to receive the funds via Bangkok Bank's New York Branch. These accounts can't be converted into a regular account. I know because I attempted to do this a few years ago. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

i have no use to do banking on my phone...i use the atm and actually go into the bank.....like normal adults do....

why ppl use a banking app in this digital world of ransomware--hacking--data breaches is beyond me.....no tnx

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

hope the holes dug as should be any day now....and thais are always watching...nosey....good luck keeping it secret here

right back at you  ... such a friendly forum ...

... another for the list.

watching ... that's what walls are for

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, BKKKevin said:

It should be understood that the US Government has placed restrictions on ALL foreign banks…

Placing reporting and funds transfer limits and notification for its citizens…

So if you want to blame anyone, blame 9-11 and the knee jerk reaction of Congress in it’s aftermath…

Agree totally; it's not the bank's fault, they don't want to deal with the paperwork associated with Americans. I've had a Kasikorn account for over 25 years and a manager at the bank told me better to keep it open because it's very difficult for Americans to open new accounts.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

i have no use to do banking on my phone...i use the atm and actually go into the bank.....like normal adults do....

why ppl use a banking app in this digital world of ransomware--hacking--data breaches is beyond me.....no tnx

That is OK IF you have a branch of BKK fairly close. My nearest branch is 65km away in Kamphaeng Phet. There is another branch slightly north though still in the city on the frontage road of the route 1. Both branches are about an hours drive away.

Like you, I do not use my phone for any banking.

• Haha 1

Here is the answer - 

Only US citizens using BKK Bank receiving US Govt. checks (auto deposit such as a monthly SSI) must now go into the bank (to a teller) with a passport and bankbook to withdraw your money.

Bangkok bank has nothing to do with this new rule, it is coming from uncle Sam in the good ole USA.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

Here is the answer - 

You were faster. Just stumbled upon his video.

Big harassment. 17 year old account had to be registered with US authority.

All electronic transfer and ATM withdrawal blocked.

About the experiences that have been shared in the forum.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

They told me I couldn't have a credit card, and when I tried to get the APP, just to use my account, it didn't work two times, and they couldn't explain how. I think it was a matter of them not knowing I could have both, but didn't understand their jobs fully. My branch has a few ladies working there, and one, the manager, you could tell she didn't like foreigners just from her attitude, while the others are always cordial to me. When you're dealing with people, what they bring into their jobs could be prejudice, hatred, a bad mood because their husband was bad to them or just a bad hair day. The same with all officials that have your business in their hands. One will allow something, while the next will say no. I have friends who have other banks, and they have credit cards and the APP. My girlfriend has an APP for her bank, and she doesn't have much of a savings in it. I got Bangkok Bank when I moved here, as I was married back then, and I think I couldn't get a credit card back then because they knew if anything happened to me, my wife could drain the account, so they said I couldn't have a card. I've since opened another account at the same branch, but the APP never worked and I still couldn't get a credit card. they never said anything about a secured card, just that I couldn't get one. Politics or ignorance.

It's quite easy for a foreigner to get credit cards in Thailand, 3 scenarios:

1. You don't have a work permit and you don't have money in the bank : no credit card

2. You don't have a work permit but you get some money in the bank : you can apply for a "secured credit card"

3. You have a work permit : you can apply for a credit card

Years ago, I was in the scenario # 2 and I got a secured credit card.

When I decided to be based in Thailand (with a TH work permit), I applied for a credit card and got it!

PS: When I was based, as a foreigner, in Czech Republic, Ireland, Kenya, UK, the rules were quite similar: you have a job then you can apply for and get a credit card

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, billd766 said:

Again IIRC a credit card is an unsecured loan. In Thailand however, it is a secured loan against the money you have already paid.

I may well be wrong as I got rid of all my credit cards years ago.

And with that self funded credit card you don't get a passbook for the account, at least I didn't.

If you're an American citizen or have a Green Card, having no credit cards can't be helpful for your credit score.

On 6/8/2024 at 8:49 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

There are lots of laws in Thailand which are positive for American people - better than for all other farangs.

So I wouldn't be surprised if there are also laws and regulations "against" them.

It might just be an American law about bank accounts in foreign countries or something like that.

I don't know if that is the case for you. But special rules work in both directions. 

I would hate to be an american

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, advancebooking said:

I would hate to be an american

I would hate to be anything else than a Norwegian. I won the lottery when born!

Still born American is not the worst

• Confused 1

On 6/8/2024 at 3:21 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I am not an American but over the years I read about business in Thailand, visa regulations and many other things. And from time to time I read about some special conditions for Americans.

As far as I know there is also a law in the USA that Americans have to report their income from all over the world to America - or something like that.

So it is not difficult to imagine that there are also some special banking rules.

But apart from that different (Thai) Banks have different regulations and there are lots of bankers who don't know their own rules. It's not easy.

Yes, special rules.  Most foreign banks must provide data on US citizen clients or risk sanctions or seizures.

This is why any time an American waddles into a bank anywhere in the world to open an account, they are given an IRS reporting form to fill out as the first order of business.

Fun fact!  This was true of China until a few years ago.  Last three banks I opened accounts with did not require the IRS form.

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

Yes, special rules.  Most foreign banks must provide data on US citizen clients or risk sanctions or seizures.

This is why any time an American waddles into a bank anywhere in the world to open an account, they are given an IRS reporting form to fill out as the first order of business.

Fun fact!  This was true of China until a few years ago.  Last three banks I opened accounts with did not require the IRS form.

Do you know of a Chinese bank that will open an account for a tourist? 

On 6/8/2024 at 3:51 PM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

In the year 2024 normal adults use their phone for banking and most other things. 

I find that the people who are the most concerned about ransomware and their phones being hacked usually aren’t tech savvy enough to know why they shouldn’t be concerned. Any hacker knows that the weakest link in security is usually the end user. “Hi this is the password inspector, i just need to verify a few things.”