Are there any benefits/perks to being a tax resident?

1 hour ago, Airwolf said:

Like, access to public healthcare, public schools for kids, voting rights, pathway to citizenship.... or anything?

You have access to public healthcare and public schools, but not free.

Voting rights - No.

Pathway to citizenship - If you work, pay taxes and learn the language, possibly.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

On 6/8/2024 at 10:31 PM, Liquorice said:

You have access to public healthcare and public schools, but not free.

Voting rights - No.

Pathway to citizenship - If you work, pay taxes and learn the language, possibly. 

Citizenship? In almost all circumstances you have to produce a marriage certificate?

• Confused 1

Well potentially and depending on where you are a tax resident now, becoming a tax resident of Thailand instead could well be beneficial.

Other than that? I don't think so.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/8/2024 at 8:33 PM, Airwolf said:

Like, access to public healthcare, public schools for kids, voting rights, pathway to citizenship.... or anything?

Or, do you pretty much have the same rights as a tourist or ED visa holder?

You are a publicly accessible ATM, you receive nothing in compensation for paying tax here. Your money is all they care about, if they could get you to land at the airport, hand over all your money, then make you leave on the next flight.....they would.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

... or anything?

You'll be able to feel smug about contributing to building a better infrastructure for the country, less the amounts siphoned off in brown envelopes of course.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

of course not.

remember where you are mate.

• Like 1

Are there any benefits/perks to being a tax resident?

Yes of course, you get the luxury of paying taxes. 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2024 at 3:33 PM, Airwolf said:

As a tax resident you won't get access to public healthcare, public schools for kids or voting rights.

Weather you like it or not, you are tax-resident whenever you stay 180 days or more in Thailand – and most other countries. You might not get any benefits from being a tax payer, apart from giving your "reasonable" share to the common society...:whistling:

Being tax resident in Thailand instead of your home country can however have benefits, depending from where you originates and a Double Taxation Agreement between your home country and Thailand. In my Scandinavian case it's a benefit being tax resident in Thailand instead of my home country...:thumbsup:

• Like 1

one would hope that as a tax payer ( unlike most of the thai's that dont pay) you could access the government hospital for less baht than a non tax payer 

Unfortunately
NOPE

• Thumbs Up 1

I can think of one benefit.  You'd be able to get the "Witholding tax" of 15% on your savings account back as the interest would very likely be under the minimum earnings of ฿160,000 a year to pay tax.  Whether it would be enough to offset the costs involved in getting the Tax ID and card is anybody's guess.

I paid a whopping ฿32.11 last financial year equivalent to £0.73p which was duly declared to HMRC by my accountant.  It cost a lot more than that to declare it to the anal retentive UK Inland Revenue who are most concerned about money earnt abroad.

I am tax resident here and in Norway and because of the double taxation agreement I get all tax that I have paid on my Norwegian pensions paid back to me and its all legal.

So in my situation it is very beneficial for me to be tax resident here.

It's cute how they're claiming this isn't targeted at expats, yet none of my Thai friends know anything about this new enforcement or care because they know they're not going to be affected.

Also, it's pretty rich having the elite preach about inequality in the kingdom when they are the cause of it. 🤦‍♂️

2 hours ago, DiDiChok said:

I can think of one benefit.  You'd be able to get the "Witholding tax" of 15% on your savings account back as the interest would very likely be under the minimum earnings of ฿160,000 a year to pay tax.  Whether it would be enough to offset the costs involved in getting the Tax ID and card is anybody's guess.

I paid a whopping ฿32.11 last financial year equivalent to £0.73p which was duly declared to HMRC by my accountant.  It cost a lot more than that to declare it to the anal retentive UK Inland Revenue who are most concerned about money earnt abroad.

There are no costs to getting a Tax number from the TRD and it is a simple exercise which can be done in person or online . Took me 25 / 30 mine at an office in the outer Chiang Mai suburbs. All info is on their website in Thai and English including form # 91 which you must fill in to get registered ,

• Agree 1