Teen fatally shot by grandfather after constant disruptive gatherings

webfact

image.jpeg

A tragic incident unfolded yesterday in Nong Bua Lamphu, where an argument over noise and disruptive behaviour ended in the fatal shooting of a teenager. The incident occurred at a small house in Hua Na District, where a man fired bullets into a room after repeated disturbances from his grandson and friends.

Police received the call at around 9pm, where the 62 year old gunman, Buarian, awaited the police with the weapon in hand, and confessed to firing five shots into the room with a 9mm STI GP 6 automatic pistol.

He claimed he was frustrated by his grandson’s constant gatherings, noise, and disruptive behaviour, which included drinking kratom water and playing loud music daily.

Upon investigation, authorities discovered that one of the grandson’s friends had died from a gunshot wound inside the room. The room’s walls, made of tile, had five bullet holes, and a large pool of blood was found near the victim’s body.

The forensic team found five 9mm bullet casings, but no bullets were retrieved, suggesting they might have exited through the window.

Witnesses reported that the incident erupted after Buarian’s attempts to get his grandson and his friends to open the door failed. His wife recounted that Buarian was already upset due to his grandson’s refusal to attend school, despite having paid for all necessary expenses.

His frustration peaked when he returned home to find the disruptive behaviour continuing. After repeatedly knocking and being ignored, he threatened to shoot if the door was not opened. When his threats were not heeded, he retrieved his gun and fired.

Neighbours and relatives of the deceased expressed their outrage, condemning Buarian’s actions as heartless and cruel. The scene was chaotic with many locals gathering despite the late hour, and police had to intervene to maintain order.

Buarian explained his actions to the police, stating that he did not intend to kill anyone but was overwhelmed by his anger and disappointment in his grandson, Ae (alias).

Ae’s parents had separated when he was an infant, and he had been raised by Buarian and his wife after his mother moved to work in South Korea.

Buarian admitted the gun belonged to his son, a soldier, and he had used it impulsively without knowing who was behind the door. He was charged with manslaughter and taken into custody for further investigation, reported Khaosod.

by Ryan Turner

Image courtesy of Khaosod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-06-10

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2

36 minutes ago, webfact said:

Buarian explained his actions to the police, stating that he did not intend to kill anyone but was overwhelmed by his anger and disappointment in his grandson, Ae (alias).

now there' there '   don't upset yourself grandpa '   it's ok ....   everything will be alright because you were angry right  ....     you'll be fine.   :giggle: 

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

No defending the old guy here....   his actions clearly were manslaughter. 

But, as in many examples of things going so very sideways so very quickly here, there are always two sides and issues leading up to the 'snapping point'... 

... In this case we have a teen showing no respect for his grandfather, the person who provides a home - roof, shelter, clothing, food and education...   the missing part of the recipe here is discipline...   How spoiled was this boy in earlier years such that he turned into a the type of monster that would push his grandfather to such extreme measures?

I'm not saying the boys had it coming - but to behave in such a manner in someone else's house and ignore requests to remain considerate implies a degree of complicity in the outcome. 

Generally, it's the parent's fault.  Probably why the kid is living with/being watched by grandparents in the first place.  Absent parents.

3 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

And will the grandson learn anything from this? 

From what has been reported, I doubt it. Seems to be a spoilt brat. 

Well Grumpy Grandpa won’t be annoying him and his remaining friends playing music anymore. 

4 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

the lesson is repeated until its learned...takes some longer than others.....the grandpas and their thai ladies is a clear example

• Like 1

cant say I blame grandpa...id think twice about the gun tho..as hes in a heap of trouble

I have 3 dudes that live in my apy bldg...seem to be pals..always hanging out..door open..being loud

after a few days of it..i went to the room..guy sitting in door frame ..seems they were all gaming and yapping

I cleared my throat..nothing..tapped on metal bar many times..nada.....said PSSST a few times...zip

this dude was SO hooked on his phone and gaming he was oblivious to me standing there....finally got him to look up

did the quiet motion....and motioned him to go inside and shut the door.......oddly enough its been quiet ever since!!!

4 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

yeah, smart old guy. Maybe someone needs to explain that he should first open the door, look and also think about what to do. Not open the door and start a shooting spree.

The grandson refused to open the door! Should have thrown him out with his clothes in bin bags. The poor kid killed should have shown respect in someone's house and left. At the end of the day t was the old man's house.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

cant say I blame grandpa...id think twice about the gun tho..as hes in a heap of trouble

I have 3 dudes that live in my apy bldg...seem to be pals..always hanging out..door open..being loud

after a few days of it..i went to the room..guy sitting in door frame ..seems they were all gaming and yapping

I cleared my throat..nothing..tapped on metal bar many times..nada.....said PSSST a few times...zip

this dude was SO hooked on his phone and gaming he was oblivious to me standing there....finally got him to look up

did the quiet motion....and motioned him to go inside and shut the door.......oddly enough its been quiet ever since!!!

Well done, and I think you may have 'dodged a bullet' there. 

Always good to speak up instead of getting frustrated/annoyed but one has to tread lightly with Thai males. 

As we read constantly how things can tip them over the edge so easily.  Hopefully there are no repercussions in the future. 

4 minutes ago, BritScot said:

The grandson refused to open the door! Should have thrown him out with his clothes in bin bags. The poor kid killed should have shown respect in someone's house and left. At the end of the day t was the old man's house.

Sure, yeah. And that justifies that the house owner kill him. Sure he should have shown respect.

• Confused 1

It reminds me that when I was a teenager, and had my room upstairs.
When there was too much noise in my father's opinion, he switched off the power downstairs so that the whole house was without power, it did help.
This as an alternative, if someone put a bullet through their head.

8 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Then there is an epedemic in their culture. 🤣

33 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

No excuse. Plenty of parents work like this but still manage to keep their children in line.

Teens can be difficult, they aren't adults and they aren't children. I know the difference from when my son was 10 to his present age of 16, changing moods, a sense of entitlement, distancing himself from family, introverted, rebellious etc. He was so respectful, nice and polite when he returned from 2 weeks of army training but that only lasted 10 days or so, my wife and I are looking forward to when he goes again at years end. The only time we hear him laughing is when he contacts friends in Denmark, Finland, Holland etc. countries where they speak good English via his laptop, behind the locked door of his room. My wife says we should be grateful he isn't in a clique drinking and taking drugs. 

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm not saying the boys had it coming

He had it coming.

Nobody's going to put up with that crap every night without an explosive outcome.

He should have kicked him out the day he refused to go back to school!

The grandson was staying in grandpa's home. There is a price to be paid for a total lack of respect. Granted, kicking him out of the house would have been preferable. Asking his son to bring the grandson under control, or else you guys are gone, baby gone. But sometimes people just don't listen. 

Edited by spidermike007