Jury Deliberations Begin in Hunter Biden's High-Profile Gun Case

Social Media

image.png.5651c962afb64711a503cf753456c86f.png

Jurors in the historic case involving Hunter Biden, the son of U.S. President Joe Biden, have begun their deliberations. The 54-year-old faces charges of lying about his drug use on a federal form when purchasing a firearm in 2018 and illegally possessing the firearm while allegedly being a drug user. The outcome of this case could have significant implications, not just for Hunter Biden but also for the broader political landscape.

For several days, prosecutors laid out their case, presenting evidence to suggest that Biden was deep into addiction at the time he bought the gun in Delaware. The prosecution's strategy was to establish that Biden was an active drug user and knowingly lied on the federal form. In contrast, Biden's defense team argued that he was in recovery and therefore truthful when he indicated he was not a drug user on the purchase form. Hunter Biden has denied all three charges and did not take the stand during the trial.

If convicted, Hunter Biden could face up to 25 years in prison. The trial has garnered significant public and media attention, not only due to the defendant’s high-profile status but also because of the broader political implications.

In his closing argument, prosecutor Leo Wise emphasized that the case should be viewed objectively, stating, "No one is above the law, and this case is no more important or less important because of who the defendant is." Wise asserted that the central issue was whether Hunter Biden was an addict at the time of the purchase and knew it. He pointed to witness testimonies from Biden's former partners and excerpts from Biden's memoir to support the claim that Biden was using drugs around the time he bought the gun. Wise described the evidence as "personal, ugly, and overwhelming."

However, the defense team, led by attorney Abbe Lowell, countered that there was no direct evidence of drug use at the specific time of the gun purchase. Lowell argued that the prosecution's case relied heavily on "suspicion" and "conjecture" rather than concrete evidence. He pointed out that none of the text messages or witness testimonies referenced actual drug use at the time of the purchase. Lowell criticized the prosecution for using evidence of drug use spanning many years to make their case. For instance, he highlighted testimony from Biden's ex-girlfriend Zoe Kestan, who reported seeing "no pipes, no scales, no drugs, not even alcohol" during the period in question.

Hunter Biden's family, including First Lady Jill Biden, his stepmother, and other close relatives, were present in the Delaware federal court, showing visible reactions to the prosecution's claims. Several family members shook their heads when the prosecution described Biden's alleged "four years of active addiction."

During the closing arguments, Hunter Biden often stared intently at the jurors, occasionally taking notes and consulting with his legal team. During breaks, his wife Melissa Cohen Biden provided support, embracing him and offering words of comfort.

A key point of contention during the trial was a legal technicality regarding jury instructions. Biden's lawyers requested that jurors be informed that Biden filled out the federal form "in good faith," a point the prosecution contested. This discrepancy centers on whether Biden "knowingly" lied on the form.

Last week, prosecutors bolstered their case by playing excerpts from Biden's audiobook, where he discusses his four-year addiction to crack cocaine, a period that overlapped with his gun purchase. Additionally, the court heard from Biden's ex-romantic partners, including Hallie Biden, the widow of Biden's late brother. Hallie testified that she found "remnants" of crack cocaine in Biden's car alongside the firearm, but she also confirmed during cross-examination that she had not seen him using drugs at the time of the gun purchase.

Throughout the trial, the defense has worked to undermine the prosecution's witnesses, questioning their recollections and the reliability of their testimonies. The jurors now face the task of weighing this complex and high-stakes evidence to reach a verdict.

Credit: BBC 2024-06-11

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, riclag said:

The gun case is the only case that doesn’t involve dad!

Ya don’t hear much about the contents in Hunters laptop from hell!

The prosecutors are slick

methinks

What was on the laptop that implicates Joe Biden?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Social Media said:

Hunter Biden's family, including First Lady Jill Biden, his stepmother, and other close relatives, were present in the Delaware federal court, showing visible reactions to the prosecution's claims. Several family members shook their heads when the prosecution described Biden's alleged "four years of active addiction."

Contrasting with those goons with similar red ties and missing family members at Trump's trial. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Why Education Predicts Decreased Belief in Conspiracy Theories

"People with high education are less likely than people with low education to believe in conspiracy theories."

I'd hazard a guess my level of education would stack up fairly well against yours. 

Let's wait and see if a) he is convicted and b) lefties claim that Hunter's conviction proves Trump's convictions were fair. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I can predict very precisely the outcome of this trial:

- if he's exonerated, MAGA fans and assimilated will evoke a conspiracy theory;

- if he's convicted, they will evoke a conspiracy theory!

😆

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I'd hazard a guess my level of education would stack up fairly well against yours. 

Let's wait and see if a) he is convicted and b) lefties claim that Hunter's conviction proves Trump's convictions were fair. 

I'm not really convinced high education reduces the level of conspiracy theories / conspiracy theory belief.

1. I was a very senior executive at regional level in a major oil company.

2. I was the liaison executive with a very senior exec. of a very big / very successful German engineering giant. and same with a global high profile European car giant.

3. Later, I taught bachelor and masters programs at several very respected universities across all of Asia.

In all of these scenarios I came across / had to try to work westerns who had some very strange ideas and twice I approached some very snr. m'ment folks from the opposite party and politely / frmly indicated I could not work productively with these people.

In the uni scenario one was a masters professor who held a Ph.D. in Organization behavior and in org. development. Twice I learned of things he was telling students which were just not rational. I complained. 

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I'm not really convinced high education reduces the level of conspiracy theories / conspiracy theory belief.

1. I was a very senior executive at regional level in a major oil company.

2. I was the liaison executive with a very senior exec. of a very big / very successful German engineering giant. and same with a global high profile European car giant.

3. Later, I taught bachelor and masters programs at several very respected universities across all of Asia.

In all of these scenarios I came across / had to try to work westerns who had some very strange ideas and twice I approached some very snr. m'ment folks from the opposite party and politely / frmly indicated I could not work productively with these people.

In the uni scenario one was a masters professor who held a Ph.D. in Organization behavior and in org. development. Twice I learned of things he was telling students which were just not rational. I complained. 

Totally agree.

And let's face it, "conspiracy theories" are just a lazy label that people use to discredit opinions that they happen to disagree with, facts that they are unaware of or even events that they do not wish to admit happened. There are plenty of "conspiracy theories" that later turn out to be true. 

In the very early days of mobile phones I informed a friend that people's movements could be tracked by the location of their "cell phone" in relation to nearby cell towers. He laughed hysterically and called me a conspiracy theorist.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, riclag said:

The gun case is the only case that doesn’t involve dad!

Ya don’t hear much about the contents in Hunters laptop from hell!

The prosecutors are slick

methinks

Different house oversight hearings - ongoing.

• Like 1

guilty verdict is in. ill refrain from the obvious ongoing activity that dems are currently taking part in. 

you know the one where you keep nauseatingly parroting a certain phrase that now applies to your own side. 

ouch. maybe best to stop now as the optics couldn't come at a better time. 

Edited by stoner
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, stoner said:

guilty verdict is in. ill refrain from the obvious ongoing activity that dems are currently taking part in. 

you know the one where you keep nauseatingly parroting a certain phrase that now applies to your own side. 

The dems & their media friends will say no two tier justice goin on here ! But the world knows the big charges  of 2014 & 2015 tax fraud

chargEs were purposely avoided by letting the statue of limitations run out, as has been reported .

Edited by riclag
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So he's guilty.

Who cares?

He's just a private citizen. 

Hes not trying to become America's first fascist dictator like Trump.

Boring deflection comment. Apple falling from tree comes to mind. Just like the Orange man's kids.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, stoner said:

Boring deflection comment. Apple falling from tree comes to mind. Just like the Orange man's kids.

I get it. The cult is going to try to milk this. It won't work. Voters not already in the cult aren't that stupid.

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, stoner said:

Don't vote for the convicted felon Hunter Biden! 😀

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, candide said:

Don't vote for the convicted felon Hunter Biden! 😀

I wouldn't vote for either of the pathetic choices given to Americans this election. Both are an embarrassment. 

Cue typical entrenched replies.

9 minutes ago, theblether said:

So a jury has found Hunter guilty in Delaware of all places. This is a good result for America and bizarrely a good result for Joe. He can maintain that no one is above the law, not even his son. 

The Democrat "who cares" defence is pitiful. This guilty verdict is founded upon the laptop evidence. The sickening and demented "Russian collusion" lie has been exposed by the FBI and DoJ. 

Give some credit to the 2 Irs criminal

investigators , that broke the story of a cover up by the DoJ  which eventually  led to Judge Noreika questioning the sweet heart deal ,young biden “almost” procured .

Edited by riclag
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Obviously, the cases have nothing to do with each other - even if some people try to connect them somehow. 

And let's see if his father, the president, will pardon him. Joe Biden said he won't do that.

How would the orange guy react if a family member would be found guilty? We can all guess... 

24 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Obviously, the cases have nothing to do with each other - even if some people try to connect them somehow. 

And let's see if his father, the president, will pardon him. Joe Biden said he won't do that.

How would the orange guy react if a family member would be found guilty? We can all guess... 

They do have a connection in a small way. They are both firsts.

First Convicted felon former president and first president to have a Convicted felon child.

Edited by stoner