Eight Companies Compete to Bid for Decade-old Rice

webfact

I think this rice has been "auctioned" before, but the winning bidders failed to come up with the cash.

Which leads to the perpetual headline: Old rice 'to be auctioned next month'

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, smedly said:

why was it left to rot in storage so long ?

I removed-----------

Edited by oxo1947
  • Thanks 2

It´s very strange to me, that this problem actually exists. How can they have 15 tons of rice left since 10 year back in time. I thought that they sold the old rice first and kept the new stocks. Why on earth have they been saving this rice that long?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Maneenet assured the public that if the rice is sold domestically, it will undergo testing and approval by the Medical Sciences Department and the Office of the Consumer Protection Board, ensuring it is safe for consumption.

I though it was going to Africa

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

In one of the original press releases they all but said the rice was not up to Thai standards but the rice should be good enough for the Africans...

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

In one of the original press releases they all but said the rice was not up to Thai standards but the rice should be good enough for the Africans...

I wonder if this rice is going to be bought by an unscrupulous buyer .

Will it be bagged and sold clearly identified clearly as 10 year old aged rice so everyone knows what it is and where it comes from?

Or will it be mixed in with other rice to be re-sold at a handsome profit?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Initially yes, but with more positive testing for quality, more offers may have come in, proving rice viability as human or animal food.

4 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

It´s very strange to me, that this problem actually exists. How can they have 15 tons of rice left since 10 year back in time. I thought that they sold the old rice first and kept the new stocks. Why on earth have they been saving this rice that long?

It's not 15 tons, it's 15,000 tonnes.

• Agree 1

learn to read... not 15 tons

15.000 tons

or 

15.000.000 kilograms

3.000.000 bags of your standard 5 kg bag

1000 truck loads?

How can they have 15 tons of rice left since 10 year back in time.

The military junta took over in 2014 overthrowing the Yingluck regime. It continued to support the storage of this rice until junta chief and PM Gen. Prayut vacated the government in 2023.

Likely, the rice storage (paid by the junta government) was maintained as evidence by Prayut in its original quality to prosecute Yingluck. But she fled prosecution and Prayut did not win the PM in the 2023 election. So there appears now there was more reason to continue expensive storage.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Maneenet assured the public that if the rice is sold domestically, it will undergo testing and approval by the Medical Sciences Department and the Office of the Consumer Protection Board, ensuring it is safe for consumption.

I don't care what guarantees they provide. I want to know the name of the company so I don't buy that price by accident. 

23 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

The military junta took over in 2014 overthrowing the Yingluck regime. It continued to support the storage of this rice until junta chief and PM Gen. Prayut vacated the government in 2023.

Likely, the rice storage (paid by the junta government) was maintained as evidence by Prayut in its original quality to prosecute Yingluck. But she fled prosecution and Prayut did not win the PM in the 2023 election. So there appears now there was more reason to continue expensive storage.

Yeah, or just use photo evidence, right?

26 minutes ago, john donson said:

learn to read... not 15 tons

15.000 tons

or 

15.000.000 kilograms

3.000.000 bags of your standard 5 kg bag

1000 truck loads?

Oh yeah, wrote wrong there. Missed a couple of zeros. Nothing wrong with my reading, it just was the fingers that made a revolution.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Shouldn't it undergo testing before it is sold , and if it does not meet the approval of the Medical Sciences Department and the Office of the Consumer Protection Board, then it can only be sold for export only.

I am like a few others on here , Slippery Somchai buys it , re-bags with a different name on it and sells it cheap.

Seems like a prudent restriction would be to require the buyer to certify that they'll use the rice for rice wine, rice vinegar, or livestock food.

That would protect the reputation of the millions of tons of Thai rice sold each year, giving end users around the world a little confidence that they haven't bought a bunch of old rice mixed in with the bags they bought.

They may not get top dollar (baht) with that restriction, but is the difference worth the risk to international confidence in millions of tons of Thai rice each year?  All it would take is one customer in Africa or Europe (or a Walmart) to claim that the Thai rice they bought was tainted, and they'd be pulling Thai rice off the shelves around the world.

Edit:  And that kind of reputational stank takes decades to go away.

Edited by impulse
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Initially yes, but with more positive testing for quality, more offers may have come in, proving rice viability as human or animal food.

It sounds like it was going to be dumped, then it was quality tested and it's value increased, let's hope the quality sample was from this aged stock!!!