7-Eleven restroom use in Thailand depends on branch discretion

webfact

thailand-7-eleven-81-1150x863-1.jpg

Customers wondering whether they can use the restroom in the popular convenience store 7-Eleven during an emergency now have an answer. While in some countries customers can freely access store restrooms, the policy in Thailand is less straightforward.

A query was recently posted on the website pantip.com, where a user asked, “Can we ask to use the restroom at 7-Eleven?” The individual explained that they often drive long distances and sometimes stop at 7-Eleven to buy items before reaching their workplace. They wanted to know if it would be possible to use the restroom at the store.

The response came from an official 7-Eleven account, Nong Pao 7-Eleven.

“Permission to use the restroom at 7-Eleven depends on the discretion of the specific branch. Due to the large number of products within each store, it may not be convenient to provide restroom services. We apologise for any inconvenience.”

Many netizens chimed in with their opinions, mostly agreeing that one should not request to use the restroom in 7-Eleven stores. They pointed out that these areas are usually restricted to staff and that Thailand offers numerous free public restrooms. Additionally, restrooms are available at gas stations along the highways, providing ample options for those travelling long distances.

However, some users shared experiences of being allowed to use the restroom at 7-Eleven. They mentioned informing the staff about their need, and the employees permitted them to access the restroom inside the store.

In the northeastern region of Thailand, some netizens noted that certain 7-Eleven branches, specifically franchise stores operated by Ying Yong Minimart Co., Ltd., have marked restroom signs. These restrooms are accessible to customers without the need to ask for permission, reported Sanook.

In related news, the Tourist Police Bureau, in partnership with CP All Public Company Limited, is rolling out a new initiative to boost tourist safety with the help of 7-Eleven convenience stores.

by Puntid Tantivangphaisal 

Photo courtesy of CK Travels

Source: The Thaiger 2024-06-11

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Customers wondering whether they can use the restroom in the popular convenience store 7-Eleven during an emergency now have an answer. While in some countries customers can freely access store restrooms, the policy in Thailand is less straightforward.

Thais only ?

• Sad 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I had no idea 7-11's even had a restroom for public use. I would never even thought to have asked. I don't really see what's wrong with this policy, it's pretty much the policy all over the world with many establishments. 

Yet the Thailand blame game is in full swing. 

What game is in full swing after 3 comments before you posted?

Yes, even if you don´t know. 7Eleven is offering restrooms in many countries, and usually open to see, with a door connected to the shop.

Edited by Gottfrid

25 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

What game is in full swing after 3 comments before you posted?

Yes, even if you don´t know. 7Eleven is offering restrooms in many countries, and usually open to see, with a door connected to the shop.

So what?  The OP is about Thailand's 7-11s, approximately half of which are private franchised businesses, that, along with almost all similar private businesses, do not offer public toilet facilities.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Where a 7/11 offers indide eating areas with food and drink purchased from the store, it should provide bathroom access. There is a small two story 7/11 next to Bumrungrad Hospital that sells food and drinks on first floor with signs pointing to onsite toilet on the second floor that also has an eating area.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wore diapers for the first few years in Thailand but it got too difficult to hide them.  The bag that they come in is huge.  Now I just plan ahead and avoid traffic jams.

Edited by Chris Daley

16 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

with signs pointing to onsite toilet on the second floor that also has an eating area.

The toilet on the 2nd floor has an eating area????
That's disgusting!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Could really do with one at the beachfront 7/11 Pratamnak soi 5 Pattaya

They have tables for people to drink, but no loo for public use

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So what?  The OP is about Thailand's 7-11s, approximately half of which are private franchised businesses, that, along with almost all similar private businesses, do not offer public toilet facilities.

The what, only lies in that as me, many people, tend to compare the same brand all over the world.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

In the decades that I lived in America I never once saw a restroom in a 7-Eleven that was available for public use, not once. 

Ok, how long time ago is that? I saw it in my home country just about 6 years ago.

• Like 1

Why would anyone think 7/11 has a restroom? What about a glass of water or a backrub?

You can find a garage, a bar (where you can buy a drink), a shopping mall, a public park, a restaurant (buy some food), etc.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I had no idea 7-11's even had a restroom for public use. I would never even thought to have asked. I don't really see what's wrong with this policy, it's pretty much the policy all over the world with many establishments. 

Yet the Thailand blame game is in full swing. 

Agree. How is this even newsworthy?

7-11s are franchises, so each franchisee is given certain rules that they must follow, then guidelines as to what additional services they may offer. 

After that...up to them.

• Agree 1

In Taiwan if it has stools / tables / sitting - eating area, by law, they have to provide washrooms.  No seats no washrooms.  Works fine there.........if implemented here....well, TIT !!!

Edited by mushroomdave
  • Love It 1

Where are all these free toilets when you need one then? Not everyone can wait to find one while bursting a bladder.