Thailand Grapples with Growing Number of Foreign Beggars

webfact

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Foreigners, not white folk. These are nearly all from Cambodia and Burma with a few Vietnamese/Laos thrown in for luck

This was a 10 year long "study" and I seriously doubt the accuracy of the implications. Most may be foreigners but they are primarily Loas, Cambodian, Burmese and more recently Chinese and not western tourist. Sure there's the backpacker contingent but they are hardly any real significant numbers. I also question if street people were counted and I doubt they were and most that I've ever come in contact with are Thai but I guess we cant say that now can we? 

1 hour ago, Gknrd said:

Actually that is a pic of me, I just paid my 800K for the visa. That was ok until they hit me with the tax on my income. Next year I will have a card board box..

You didn’t pay 800k baht for your visa. That money is still in your bank account and you can withdraw it if you want…….if you don’t want another visa next year.

The cardboard box idea is new though 🤔

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

He implored the public to cease giving money to beggars as a long-term solution and assured that ministry officials are available around the clock to handle complaints.

That's ultimately the solution, but unfortunately enough people do give them money to perpetuate the problem.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

“It’s difficult to remove all beggars because the fines are minimal compared to their earnings,”

That's nonsense. Have police do daily and nightly patrols in areas they're known to operate, and round them up every day. Deport foreigners. The locals will stop once the fines pile up. It's really not that hard.

As for "foreigners" - the usual clickbait - these beggars aren't western for the most part - they are from surrounding countries, which is how they manage to enter Thailand again and again after being deported. And yes they do "rent" children to beg - never give money to children beggars as you are just making it worthwhile for them to continue.

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Temples in Thailand are run as a business, nothing more. And they are often inhabited by 'reforming' criminals dressed in monk robes.

Some of them even drive around in BMW's or Merc's or better, at least one had access to a private jet, I'll bet they ae not taxed on their income either.

21 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I thought you'd be in full support of these foreign troublemakers. 

and why would you think that, SAFETY?

and they are not trouble makers.

They have just lost in life.

I pity them more than anything. At least in the IDC they will get 3 square meals a day and a roof over their heads!

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Confused 1

I like the way there is no suggestion from Minister Varuwut, who is from a political family that allegedly made big money from corruption, that any of the beggars might actually be in desperate need, so his ministry should pick them up and do an evaluation whether they need help or punishment. 

One solution would be to tax them on the assumption they can make 100k a month.  Given them a 30k allowance for expenses and tax them on a net 70k.  That would at least raise tax revenues for the government. Get police to check their tax receipts or arrest them.

9 hours ago, ravip said:

How can one apply to be a beggar in the US?

Sounds very attractive - rather than doing a regular job LOL

I would give it a go depending on the income and prospect!🤑

17 minutes ago, bob smith said:

and why would you think that, SAFETY?

and they are not trouble makers.

They have just lost in life.

I pity them more than anything. At least in the IDC they will get 3 square meals a day and a roof over their heads!

bob.

Invite them around your place. 

Get Mrs Smith to cook up some food, maybe they could spend the night, sharing your bed with Mrs Smith. 

Sounds like a plan, let us all know how things go. 

There are also Thai and other Asian beggars on streets of countries around the world. Thailand is not special in that regard.

These here are likely mostly Cambodians etc; the Brit was included in the article to spice it up, but you reap what you sow… woo foreigners and make it real easy for them to come in, what d’you expect? Live with it or have the police do their job and round them up. 

Every  country has them,if they caught illegal they are gone from thailand.One thai beggar in cnx outside 7/11 has a motor bike use a phone etc etc.Everyday the same the food sellar sells food to survive  and see,s him outside there.look near the un irish bar and u will see him.I,am sure he could get some kind of job instead of begging

If it wasn't for the house back in the UK I would be like him.  It happens so fast.

My mom and I put our money together to get a house.  Best decision we made.  Rest of the family ran away like rats down a sewer.

within the 70% will be poor Thai, but what hangs around the tourist hotshots are "employees" that are brought and will share the "income" with the bosses.

No fun for police as they do not carry much cash I guess

The whole deport foreigners idea sounds simple. However they will be locked up indefinitely until they pay for their flights out. Embassies don't simply fork out for deportations. They must be paid for. 

31 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

Every  country has them,if they caught illegal they are gone from thailand.One thai beggar in cnx outside 7/11 has a motor bike use a phone etc etc.Everyday the same the food sellar sells food to survive  and see,s him outside there.look near the un irish bar and u will see him.I,am sure he could get some kind of job instead of begging

Begging is probably better paid compared with working.

I recently got approached by an American man who was wearing some very strange clothing and sticking out like a sore thumb, inside Terminal 21 in Bangkok who asked me for money. He mentioned he used to be a teacher in Thailand, so I am guessing he is still staying there on that visa but now begging as he has no income.

There’ll be a lot of elderly farang pensioners begging in Isaan villages, once Thailand had taxed the living b’Jesus out of them and their Thai wives have booted them out as having no more value left in them.

Are you kidding? You have in Thailand only foreign beggars or a combination of Thai and usually Myanmar illegal immigrants beggar?

Anyway illegal immigration creates such horrible situations in our modern societies and policy makers ought to protect local population from usual illegals immigrants who pretend they are Thais.

Canada?

Very nice country for illegals and ghetto criminal areas I almost once a year travel to Toronto for my job at real estate market .

Canadians pay any illegal immigrant Muslim civilian with 2 children :

1.Family "Allowance" CAD$2.000 and in addition maternity "allowance"...

2.Child "allowance" CAD$500 each child furthermore "allowance" for schools -kindergartens etc.

One of my neighbour is from Turkey and anotherone from Pakistan who each one has 4 children.

Total bill who pay Canadians is:

CAD$2.000 family + CAD$2.000 for 4 children = CAD$4.000 plus other allowances for school ,kindergarten etc.

Do you expect for those to go to work?

Are you kidding? They usually sell drugs at least income CAD$3.000 per month furthermore they have created ghetto areas where you have security problem if you want to go out of your house.

Besides of that if you want temporary to leave your house you should have notified others neighbours for your house security because local criminal immigrants mafia will enter your house to steal everything and in some cases although you have insured your house you will find out that insurers do not cover you furthermore price΄s house are very-very -very expensive above at least of CAD$1.500.000 near in ghetto criminal areas.

U.S.A -Canada are countries for illegals migrants and not for locals who pay the bill.......

Edited by Paris333

8 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Temples in Thailand are run as a business, nothing more. And they are often inhabited by 'reforming' criminals dressed in monk robes.

Parasites

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

30% foreign beggars. Talk about losers! Just going to a foreign country with the knowledge they can´t stay. Overstay your permission and end up as a street beggar.  What a great future! 

I must say most of those foreign beggars are from neighbouring countries.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, still kicking said:

I must say most of those foreign beggars are from neighbouring countries.

Correct, Myanmar no1 followed by  Laos, Cambodia & Chinese make up the vast majority and homeless too. Difference is no one knows if they are foreigners to look at so assumes they are all Thai  .. not true & all have much more chance of finding work  and often do for a time.  Westerners stand out and do not. 

18 hours ago, novacova said:

In the US foreign beggars are given credit cards and hotel suites. US citizen beggars are sent to the streets.

Hang in there, just 7 more months…

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, novacova said:

In the US foreign beggars are given credit cards and hotel suites. US citizen beggars are sent to the streets.

That's about as ignorant a comment as I've seen all year. You don't read or get out much, do you? The current climate in the US is quite hostile to immigrants. US beggars aren't "sent" anywhere. Aside from drug addicts and the mentally ill and others who fall through the cracks for various reasons, US beggars choose their own lifestyle because they have no other options. For those who seek help there is help available. And some, very few,  beggars make more money doing that than they would at a job. That is the case in every country. As to beggars in general, in the US a very small percentage of them are foreign. They don't beg on the streets because they would be picked up by immigration and deported. That's the real world, as opposed to the one you imagine based on your racism and bigotry. Oh, and BTW, Credit cards are issued by banks who determine a person's creditworthiness over a period of several years. So explain how a bank is even going to find a credit history on an immigrant who has no bank accounts or assets in the US? Why don't you write your own book, you're pretty good at fiction. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, ezzra said:

I find it hard to believe that all of a sudden, Thai police, Immigration and local municipality inspectors  can't

control a bunch of beggars and are all at the a loss how to solve the problem, all the aforementioned have no problems

in controlling all and every aspects of business both legal and illegal everywhere but they can't control bunch of

illegal beggars...

They have been there for as long as I can remember, there was one guy who crawled along face down with a cup, he was deformed, around pratunam, but I haven't seen him in a while. Poor guy he was a really sad case. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

That's about as ignorant a comment as I've seen all year. You don't read or get out much, do you? The current climate in the US is quite hostile to immigrants. US beggars aren't "sent" anywhere. Aside from drug addicts and the mentally ill and others who fall through the cracks for various reasons, US beggars choose their own lifestyle because they have no other options. For those who seek help there is help available. And some, very few,  beggars make more money doing that than they would at a job. That is the case in every country. As to beggars in general, in the US a very small percentage of them are foreign. They don't beg on the streets because they would be picked up by immigration and deported. That's the real world, as opposed to the one you imagine based on your racism and bigotry. Oh, and BTW, Credit cards are issued by banks who determine a person's creditworthiness over a period of several years. So explain how a bank is even going to find a credit history on an immigrant who has no bank accounts or assets in the US? Why don't you write your own book, you're pretty good at fiction. 

Clearly, you have absolutely no idea what is going on in the US under the Biden regime. Estimates vary from 8 to 15 million illegals have just crossed the southern border with little or no hindrance.

Have you not heard Eric Adams, Mayor of NY, appealing for help from the feds because of all the city-owned spaces that have been turned over to all the illegals (or international beggars, might be a suitable term).  Have you not noted that nearly every so-called "sanctuary city" has found how inconvenient it can be to be offering sanctuary!

Your arrogance needs to be tempered by some intelligence.

Edited by blazes
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1