Truck Fire Near Gas Station Causes Major Disruption in Bangkok

webfact

image.jpeg

A 22-wheel trailer truck carrying 15 tonnes of rubber scrap caught fire near a gas station in Bangkok, leading to major disruptions and a significant emergency response. The incident occurred around 4.05am today, close to the Siam Gas station on Boromratchachonnani Road, Sala Thammasop Sub-district, Thawi Watthana District.

Police, alerted by investigator Apivat Sinpru from Thammasala Police Station, swiftly dispatched five fire trucks to tackle the blaze. The fire, located on the outbound side of the three-lane motorway, necessitated the closure of five lanes, including both the motorway and parallel lanes.

The truck, registered 70-7950 Surat Thani, became engulfed in flames, believed to have started due to a locked brake causing friction and a subsequent tyre explosion. The resulting fire quickly consumed the trailer, carrying rubber scrap.

Firefighters managed to control the blaze within 20 minutes, preventing it from reaching the nearby gas station. However, the trailer was completely destroyed. Nearby, another truck, registered 70-7949 Surat Thani and loaded with rubber scrap, remained parked at a safe distance.

Somchai, the 36-year-old truck driver, recounted his experience, stating he had picked up the rubber scrap from Sikhiu District, Nakhon Ratchasima Province, and was headed to a factory in Surat Thani Province.

“When I reached the location, I felt the truck was struggling, as if the brakes were stuck. Shortly after, I heard a loud explosion from the left rear tyre, followed by flames that spread rapidly.

I immediately detached the truck and drove it away from the trailer. Moments later, the entire trailer was on fire,” Somchai explained.

Preliminary assessments by the police suggest the locked rear brake led to the fire. Further inspections will evaluate potential damage to the nearby elevated parallel bridge, as the fire burned close to it for over 15 minutes, possibly affecting its rubber surface and structural integrity.

Picture courtesy: Thaich8

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-13

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

“When I reached the location, I felt the truck was struggling, as if the brakes were stuck. Shortly after, I heard a loud explosion from the left rear tyre, followed by flames that spread rapidly.

Something seized due to ?

never mind

Edited by hotchilli
  • Agree 1

Looking at the pictures, it appears that the fire first developed at the rear of the trailer, on the right hand side, intense flames, that are growing, are seen in that area in the first picture below.

Fire then spread to the rubber scrap, being transported, second picture.

Good thinking to drive truck unit away, trailer suffered a far bit of damage., third picture

IMG_3229.jpeg

IMG_3227.jpeg

IMG_3228.jpeg

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Thanks 1