Electricity costs for remote controlled electric sliding gates

Maybe better to look at Solar Powered Automatic Sliding Gates

electricity  cost nothing  + if there is a power cut gate will sill open and close

Just a thought......  across the road from me in the Village Guy with the big house has 2  Solar Powered Automatic Sliding Gates

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Don't worry... be happy!

Unless you have a huge gate your electricity consumption will be miniscule.  ¼ minute to open and ¼ to close, maybe 10 times a day for our busy house, motor might be 1Kw.  Total will be around 2-3 KWh per month  or 10-15฿/month.

I hope you can now sleep well.

Yes, very helpful and yes I can now sleep well. Thanks.

This came up because a farang moved into our moo bahn and has been telling many people it will cost around 1,000Baht a month for electronic for sliding remote gates. Result many families now leave their gates open permanently. 

On a linked point, our gate motor is PAT brand, bought at Thai Watsadu Chiang Mai around 8 years ago, never ever failed and not too noisy.

Came with 3 small remote controls, the batteries have been replaced a couple of times but just recently 2 remotes totally failed. 

My Thai son (it's his house) has checked around but can't find new PAT remotes. Thai Watsadu no longer sell this brand.

Several shops have offered a substitute brand remote from 800 to 1,000Bant plus fitting charge. Son believes this is a scam.

Most shops my son has contacted in person or sell online say there's many brands which can be an instant substitute for the original PAT units and not expensive. We can't find them.

Any suggestions much appreciated, thanks. 

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Came with 3 small remote controls, the batteries have been replaced a couple of times but just recently 2 remotes totally failed. 

My Thai son (it's his house) has checked around but can't find new PAT remotes.

You can test if remote controls basically work with a mobile phone. Point the remote at the camera of the mobile phone and you see if some "light" comes up.

Maybe something simple is broken like a cable from the battery.

You can buy programmable remote controls which can be programmed with a working remote so that they work just like the original. Google it.

43 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You can test if remote controls basically work with a mobile phone. Point the remote at the camera of the mobile phone and you see if some "light" comes up.

Doesn't that test only work on infra-red (IR) light remotes?

I think gate/garage door remotes usually are using radio frequencies (RF) like 433 MHz?  The RF remotes work over longer distances.

4 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Doesn't that test only work on infra-red (IR) light remotes?

I think gate/garage door remotes usually are using radio frequencies (RF) like 433 MHz?  The RF remotes work over longer distances.

Ok, yes, the camera obviously only works with light, IR light in this case.

I am not familiar which remotes are used for gate/garage doors.

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe something simple is broken like a cable from the battery.

You can buy programmable remote controls which can be programmed with a working remote so that they work just like the original. Google it.

Thank you for sharing.

Re the last 2 line paragraph can someone give more details where to buy / what specs to look for etc re 'programmable remote controls'. Thanks again.

14 hours ago, scorecard said:

Electricity costs for remote controlled electric sliding gates 

How heavy is your gate? 

How long and what material wooden, steel or stainless steel? 

Your electric motor kW? 

Too many varieties with little information you've given. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

1 minute ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

How heavy is your gate? 

How long and what material wooden, steel or stainless steel? 

Your electric motor kW? 

Too many varieties with little information you've given. 

It will be little or very little.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, scorecard said:

This came up because a farang moved into our moo bahn and has been telling many people it will cost around 1,000Baht a month for electronic for sliding remote gates. Result many families now leave their gates open permanently. 

Hilarious! 😂😂🤣

• Thumbs Up 1

Moo bahn full of dumb sheep. Wonder what the farang will come up with next after his first trial has succeeded.

Most shops my son has contacted in person or sell online say there's many brands which can be an instant substitute for the original PAT units and not expensive. We can't find them.

Have you checked their website, https://bltassociates.co.th/remote-control-automatic-gate/

Failing that, you could try and see if the system can be used by the phone app.

We only got 3 remotes so my wife and her niece use their phones to  open the gate.

19 hours ago, scorecard said:

As per the title, any members have info about the electricity usage / costs. Please share.

Thanks.

Negligible. The motor on our gate is 300w, the kettle costs more in a day than the gate.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Moo bahn full of dumb sheep. Wonder what the farang will come up with next after his first trial has succeeded.

After his successful test, maybe a lottery pool scam?

5 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I agree, but he has asked the question, to answer the question we need more information. 

I hope the information following is useful:

It's a typical steel frame sliding gate, about twice the width of a medium size sedan car.

The frame is steel, there's several lengths of conwood across the gate, that's all.

When the installation team came they lifted the gate up onto wood blocks then looked at the rollers fitted to the bottom of the gate and said they were very poor quality and showed my son that they didn't roll smoothly and it was a bit of a task to make them spin even a little bit. They suggested they be replaced immediately with good quality Hafele rollers, available within 30 minutes, we did that cost of new Hafele roller set and installation 1,000Baht, all fitted in 15 minutes.

Before changing the rollers it was quite a manual task to make the gate roll, after fitting Hafele very easy to make the gate move, and smooth and way less noisy.

Hope that helps.

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

Have you checked their website, https://bltassociates.co.th/remote-control-automatic-gate/

Failing that, you could try and see if the system can be used by the phone app.

We only got 3 remotes so my wife and her niece use their phones to  open the gate.

Interesting, using mobile phone app sounds like a good move, can you please share some details of the app on your wife's / niece phone. 

Much appreciated.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Upnotover said:

I don't accept / believe everything I hear, neither does my son. Given the number of times a day / time taken, i've always believed that electricity consumption would be very small.

let's be honest many folks aren't lucky enough to have background knowledge on many subjects. And there's no need to be rude and call them black sheep.

My farang cousin is convinced there a multi part mechanical set up inside of every light switch. On the other hand he's a qualified and clever economist. 

Our focus is to get 2 or 3 new remote controls in operation.

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

I hope the information following is useful:

It's a typical steel frame sliding gate, about twice the width of a medium size sedan car.

The frame is steel, there's several lengths of conwood across the gate, that's all.

When the installation team came they lifted the gate up onto wood blocks then looked at the rollers fitted to the bottom of the gate and said they were very poor quality and showed my son that they didn't roll smoothly and it was a bit of a task to make them spin even a little bit. They suggested they be replaced immediately with good quality Hafele rollers, available within 30 minutes, we did that cost of new Hafele roller set and installation 1,000Baht, all fitted in 15 minutes.

Before changing the rollers it was quite a manual task to make the gate roll, after fitting Hafele very easy to make the gate move, and smooth and way less noisy.

Hope that helps.

Not enough information to work out your electricity costs but from I read above and assuming you have normal domestic rate I'd say you'd be up for around 100 baht per month. 

These powered gates are not expensive to operate. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

On 6/15/2024 at 7:53 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

I agree, but he has asked the question, to answer the question we need more information. 

What I should have emphasised in my first message is that we installed a PAT remote controlled sliding gate opener closer about 10 years ago and the machine works well, never ever had a problem.

But now we have problems with the very small remote controls, 2 have totally failed. So looking to replace the 2 totally failed remotes, hopefully at a reasonable price.  

AN member Sandyf kindly shared that his wife has an app on her smartphone to operate their PAT gate opener / closer.

Someone posted a photo of the app involved but I now can't find that post. The first word of the name of the app was Smart but I can't remember the second word and I can't find it in the app stores.

Would appreciate is a member can please share photo of the app and share what app store to search in.

Thanks, appreciated. 

24 minutes ago, scorecard said:

What I should have emphasised in my first message is that we installed a PAT remote controlled sliding gate opener closer about 10 years ago and the machine works well, never ever had a problem.

But now we have problems with the very small remote controls, 2 have totally failed. So looking to replace the 2 totally failed remotes, hopefully at a reasonable price.  

AN member Sandyf kindly shared that his wife has an app on her smartphone to operate their PAT gate opener / closer.

Someone posted a photo of the app involved but I now can't find that post. The first word of the name of the app was Smart but I can't remember the second word and I can't find it in the app stores.

Would appreciate is a member can please share photo of the app and share what app store to search in.

Thanks, appreciated.. 

Remotes are quite cheap these days, in our village the head woman offers them programed (front main gate) for 300 baht. 

IMG_20240618_082706.jpg

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

57 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Thanks, appreciated. 

A 10 year old gate motor will very likely require an upgrade to facilitate additional remote control methods like Bluetooth or Wi-Fi control via mobile application.

All the required information can be obtained by calling PAT automation (info in previous posts) with model number of the gate motor. They will cost replacement remotes and any WiFi/Bluetooth upgrades available.

Most PAT gate motors use common 433 MHz rolling code remotes. Most gate motor installers should have a suitable replacement for around 400 Baht .

6 hours ago, scorecard said:

I use this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tuya.smartlife&hl=en

and while searching I also came across this one which seems similar https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tcl.smarthome&hl=en

Could it be either of these?