New COVID Sub-variant KP.2 on the Rise in Thailand

webfact

13 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

The third time we had it was the worst.   Always starts with a terrible headache and extreme tiredness.

Much harder since we've got kids and elderly relatives to worry about.

Inevitable that many people will get it again as it's so contagious and school season is in full swing.

How many vaccine jabs have you had?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

Interesting. Well, I'm better than reasonably healthy. My diet is as clean as it gets, I run 5 miles a day, my blood numbers are what everyone else wishes there's were, no booze, don't smoke, no drugs and my BMI is 21. I'm pretty sure however that if you put me and your 20 friends, in the same covid virus laden room, I'm not going to be the only one who contracts the virus so there has to be more to it than just, reasonably healthy. 

Chances are you'll get covid as will everyone else in the room being that it's highly contagious. If your all healthy, vaccinated or not, you should all be fine. Some cold like symptoms for a while or maybe some will have no symptoms at all. Maybe it will hit some harder than others. It's the nature of viruses. Same could be said for putting 20 people in a small room one of which is contagious with the common cold. Chances are everyone's coming out of there with a cold. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, dinsdale said:

Chances are you'll get covid as will everyone else in the room being that it's highly contagious. If your all healthy, vaccinated or not, you should all be fine. Some cold like symptoms for a while or maybe some will have no symptoms at all. Maybe it will hit some harder than others. It's the nature of viruses. Same could be said for putting 20 people in a small room one of which is contagious with the common cold. Chances are everyone's coming out of there with a cold. 

Cool! So nobody's going to die then, you promise?

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Interesting. Well, I'm better than reasonably healthy. My diet is as clean as it gets, I run 5 miles a day, my blood numbers are what everyone else wishes there's were, no booze, don't smoke, no drugs and my BMI is 21. I'm pretty sure however that if you put me and your 20 friends, in the same covid virus laden room, I'm not going to be the only one who contracts the virus so there has to be more to it than just, reasonably healthy. 

Based on the information provided in this thread, what is the notable difference between you and those 20 people?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

Based on the information provided in this thread, what is the notable difference between you and those 20 people?

5 jabs innit?

Edited by BigBruv
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, BigBruv said:

How many vaccine jabs have you had?

Fortunately enough to not be hospitalized.

I've got a family so following the science and getting everyone vaccinated was the only sane option.

Luckily Thailand hasnt so many dimwitted conspiracy theorists spreading lies and misinformation like other countries!

I'd guess your probably overweight and older, prime candidate to get vaccinated.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Fortunately enough to not be hospitalized.

I've got a family so following the science and getting everyone vaccinated was the only sane option.

Luckily Thailand hasnt so many dimwitted conspiracy theorists spreading lies and misinformation like other countries!

I'd guess your probably overweight and older, prime candidate to get vaccinated.

So how many covid jabs have you had in total?

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Curious that the Thai local news media -- thus far at least -- seem to be ignoring this latest COVID update from the Thai Ministry of Public Health -- 2,881 new COVID hospitalizations last week, the highest number in a year.

not curious at all.

the number of people dying now does not justify much attention. people die in greater numbers of many other things in thailand every day. should we be announcing all of them ? 

this week x amount of people were admitted to hospital for heart disease. x number died. why are you not posting about that on a regular basis. something that is a much more serious issue than covid ever was. many things could be done to reduce the numbers but they aren't. we allow products and chemicals that are well documented in making large groups of people sick. yet nothing is done. 

covid death percentages have been within the common flu range (approx 2 percent) for a long time now. as per the graph you posted. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, BigBruv said:

5 jabs innit?

If indeed that was the correct answer, medical staff who work in hospitals and who have regular vaccinations must be in dire trouble, I'm surprised there's any left standing.

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

with all that going for you you still caught it 2 times. maybe your immune system isn't so tip top. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

If indeed that was the correct answer, medical staff who work in hospitals and who have regular vaccinations must be in dire trouble, I'm surprised there's any left standing.

Strangely only approx a third of UK NHS accepted the offer of the latest 'boosters'.

Maybe they know something you don't.

Wonder they're still alive isn't it?

Edited by BigBruv
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, stoner said:

with all that going for you you still caught it 2 times. maybe your immune system isn't so tip top. 

In all fairness, we did walk around Emisphere on Saturday unmasked and the place was heaving. Oh, and also Paragon too.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, BigBruv said:

Strangely only approx a third of UK NHS accepted the offer of the latest 'boosters'.

Did you read that in The Sun or is there a fact to support what you said?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Did you read that in The Sun or is there a fact to support what you said?

100% of NHS Frontline workers are offered covid vaccines.

Nationally 31.3% accepted the  covid vaccines

100% - 31.3% = 68.7% of refused the  covid vaccines

Therefore, just under 70% of NHS Frontline workers (68.7%) are now refusing jabs.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/seasonal-influenza-and-covid-19-vaccine-uptake-in-frontline-healthcare-workers-monthly-data-2023-to-2024

Could these NHS workers know something you don't about the vaccines?

Is that possible?

Probably a good idea for you to get the latest booster though - in for a penny, in for a pound!

Screenshot_5.jpg.f927cfb15e39087315af8231b8f14357.jpg

😘

Edited by BigBruv
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BigBruv said:

That number/share is just the number of UK HCWs who chose to get (or not get) a COVID vaccine in the UK government's semi-annual (twice a year) COVID vaccination campaign last fall.

It doesn't tell how many of those folks got vaccinated months before in the spring, or how many will get vaccinated in this current spring's UK COVID vaccination campaign.

It also doesn't tell WHY those who didn't get vaccinated chose not to... Perhaps because a lot of staff HCWs tend to be among younger age groups, and the UK government increasingly has only been targeting the elderly for government provided COVID vaccines.

One thing I do know -- prior news reporting has indicated that somewhere around 90% of the UK's government health care workers have been COVID vaccinated with either their first and/or second vaccine doses.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-56291564

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BigBruv said:

100% of NHS Frontline workers are offered covid vaccines.

Nationally 31.3% accepted the  covid vaccines

100% - 31.3% = 68.7% of refused the  covid vaccines

Therefore, just under 70% of NHS Frontline workers (68.7%) are now refusing jabs.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/seasonal-influenza-and-covid-19-vaccine-uptake-in-frontline-healthcare-workers-monthly-data-2023-to-2024

Could these NHS workers know something you don't about the vaccines?

Is that possible?

Probably a good idea for you to get the latest booster though - in for a penny, in for a pound!

Screenshot_5.jpg.f927cfb15e39087315af8231b8f14357.jpg

😘

Slightly somewhat cherry picked statistics, me thinks but hey, nice try and A for effort.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

As far as I see on UK news websites this has almost no prominence in the news now.

Variants are like a non-event.

It will never die on Aseannow.

We're in for life!

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, stoner said:

covid death percentages have been within the common flu range (approx 2 percent) for a long time now. as per the graph you posted. 

Per the US CDC:

"Total COVID-19 deaths, accounting for underreporting, are likely to be higher than, but of the same order of magnitude as, total influenza deaths. Supporting this idea, the cumulative rate of COVID-19-associated hospitalizations during October 1, 2023–February 3, 2024, was 97 per 100,000 population, compared with 52 per 100,000 influenza-associated hospitalizations and 44 per 100,000 RSV hospitalizations. In-hospital death was about 1.8 times higher for COVID-19-associated hospitalizations (4.6%) vs. those for influenza (2.6%).

https://www.cdc.gov/respiratory-viruses/background/index.html

12 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

In all fairness, we did walk around Emisphere on Saturday unmasked and the place was heaving. Oh, and also Paragon too.

anecdotal no ? 

in all fairness i have many of the same health features you do but i smoke a lot of cannabis every day. no i am not saying it stopped covid. 

i only took 2 shots at the start of vaccines and don't think i have had covid. if i did it was so mild i barely noticed. i rarely ever get sick though. never even spent a day in the hospital. 

also depending on your age. i am 47. a very large portion of all covid deaths were to those over 60 years old. 

1 hour ago, Jaggg88 said:

Which means you'll have very little, if any, natural immunity.

True, that's why we get vaccinated. Contrary to many people's opinion vaccines do not give magical immunity, they stimulate the body's natural defences to produce antibodies just as if you had been infected. The problem with COVID was that it overwhelmed the natural defences before the body could produce enough antibodies to protect itself. That's why you can still catch COVID, but because the body is prepared it has a less disastrous effect than if not vaccinated or have been previously infected. Not so much of a problem now with the much milder variants. 

Edited by RobU
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Per the US CDC:

"Total COVID-19 deaths, accounting for underreporting, are likely to be higher than, but of the same order of magnitude as, total influenza deaths. Supporting this idea, the cumulative rate of COVID-19-associated hospitalizations during October 1, 2023–February 3, 2024, was 97 per 100,000 population, compared with 52 per 100,000 influenza-associated hospitalizations and 44 per 100,000 RSV hospitalizations. In-hospital death was about 1.8 times higher for COVID-19-associated hospitalizations (4.6%) vs. those for influenza (2.6%).

https://www.cdc.gov/respiratory-viruses/background/index.html

so why does this graph you posted show it within a 2 percent range of each other ? and by the looks of it only during flu season does the graph deviate much. the other times of the year the 2 colors basically overlay each other. 

Screenshot_14.jpg.349d00cdae21f5d15d021e7ad5e72e42.jpg

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, stoner said:

anecdotal no ? 

in all fairness i have many of the same health features you do but i smoke a lot of cannabis every day. no i am not saying it stopped covid. 

i only took 2 shots at the start of vaccines and don't think i have had covid. if i did it was so mild i barely noticed. i rarely ever get sick though. never even spent a day in the hospital. 

also depending on your age. i am 47. a very large portion of all covid deaths were to those over 60 years old. 

Yep, I'm 75.