Match madness: Football fans ignite flares, burn car at Bangkok uni

snoop1130

footballfire.jpg

An intense football match ended in chaos when fans set off flares, causing a vehicle to catch fire at the Thammasat University, Rangsit Centre. The incident left the car’s owner devastated, as the vehicle was uninsured and essential for daily work.

The fire occurred at 9pm yesterday, June 16, following the conclusion of the Revo Cup final between Muangthong United and BG Pathum United, where BG Pathum emerged victorious with a score of 1-0.

Police and firefighters from the Tha Khlong Municipality Fire Department quickly responded to the fire behind the Main Stadium. They found a white Isuzu four-door pickup truck engulfed in flames. The firefighters extinguished the blaze within ten minutes but the vehicle’s interior was extensively damaged from the fire.

Witnesses reported that a group of five to six individuals ignited flares near the stadium, one of which landed on the pickup truck, causing the fire. An eyewitness, 41 year old Piyapong recounted the event.

“I saw the group set off the first flare, which fell into the football field. Another one landed on the car. They then moved towards the stadium entrance, causing further disturbances with other fans.”

Another eyewitness, a BG Pathum fan, Natee Srisuk shares additional details on the unruly hooligans.

Group of fans

“I saw them setting off flares outside the stadium. Someone recorded it, and when the flare landed and caused the fire, the group chased the person filming. They were all men, around 20 to 30 years old.”

The 47 year old car owner, Arun arrived to find his vehicle in flames. He shared that his car is uninsured and essential for his daily work, distraught, he remains unsure of how to seek compensation for the damages. Arun visited the stadium for his sons’s football match with MJ United from Ayutthaya, unrelated to the teams playing yesterday.

“If I had known it would be like this, I wouldn’t have come. For a big competition like this, it has to be better. How can it be organised to prevent incidents like this? I saw fans fighting and setting off flares, which should not happen.

“I want to urge everyone involved to come and rectify this problem, and I also want to address the Football Association to help manage this issue. I don’t want incidents like this to happen, but now that it has, someone must take responsibility and expedite the resolution because I need this car for my livelihood.”

A rescue team member from the on-site Thitikarn Ambulance Service explained that the fire started on a sheet of canvas before spreading to the car. Investigators documented the scene and instructed officers to review CCTV footage to identify and apprehend the culprits responsible for the incident, reported Khaosod.

By Ryan Turner

Image courtesy of Khaosod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-06-17

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 3

It´s just terrible, that people can´t go see a football match without violence. However, not anything exclusive to Thailand, as the whole world has it´s fair share. Just very idiotic. Also, they believe it´s patriotic team spirit to behave like this. They should fell ashamed.

On the side, how can it be allowed to drive a car without an insurance? That is also baffling! However, I assume the guy have insurance for other people and cars, but not full that includes his own car as well. That´s stupid. Especially as it is his livelihood, as he expressed. 

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Confused 4
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The incident left the car’s owner devastated, as the vehicle was uninsured and essential for daily work.

Ohhh dear.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

“I saw them setting off flares outside the stadium. Someone recorded it, and when the flare landed and caused the fire, the group chased the person filming. They were all men, around 20 to 30 years old.”

Children.

• Like 1

“I want to urge everyone involved to come and rectify this problem, and I also want to address the Football Association to help manage this issue. I don’t want incidents like this to happen, but now that it has, someone must take responsibility and expedite the resolution because I need this car for my livelihood.”

I have some sympathy for your post, but as for being uninsured ... none.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I assume the guy have insurance for other people and cars, but not full that includes his own car as well.

If the car is old enough the Insurance company won't sell you an insurance that covers everything. I have a car like this.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, watchcat said:

If the car is old enough the Insurance company won't sell you an insurance that covers everything. I have a car like this.

Really, but then it has to be really old and in bad condition? Have had numerous of old cars, but never had a problem insuring them. Sure, the insured amount get lower for every year, but that´s just how it is. 🙂 

3 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Really, but then it has to be really old and in bad condition? Have had numerous of old cars, but never had a problem insuring them. Sure, the insured amount get lower for every year, but that´s just how it is. 🙂 

Well I had to get to the car and find the bkue book, and yes, the car was registered in 2539.

19 minutes ago, watchcat said:

Well I had to get to the car and find the bkue book, and yes, the car was registered in 2539.

Yeah, that´s old. But, seems to me, you would be able to insure the car under this one: https://www.roojai.com/en/car-insurance/type3plus/

However, you might not find the cost and coverage matching your wishes. 🙂 

55 minutes ago, watchcat said:

But that pickup is not "that" old and can easily get insurance 

7 minutes ago, JoePai said:

But that pickup is not "that" old and can easily get insurance 

Yes I can get the compulsory insurance (wich) I have +tax, however anything above that is not worth it.

19 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

On the side, how can it be allowed to drive a car without an insurance?

Insurance is covered by your yearly road tax, but it is only covers 3rd party injuries, my car is 9 years old and I paid well over 9k for a  #2 insurance. 3rd party here is not like the UK, that includes fire and theft. 

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Insurance is covered by your yearly road tax, but it is only covers 3rd party injuries, my car is 9 years old and I paid well over 9k for a  #2 insurance. 3rd party here is not like the UK, that includes fire and theft. 

Maybe you are right, but I can not see that here. I might have missed. MOTOR INSURANCE TYPE 3 PLUS (TRANSLATION ONLY) (roojai.com)

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I have some sympathy for your post, but as for being uninsured ... none.

He would need a private insurance to cover fire, do some research on how much that costs, maybe more than 500baht a month not  that easy if your on minimum wage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gottfrid said:

Maybe you are right, but I can not see that here. I might have missed. MOTOR INSURANCE TYPE 3 PLUS (TRANSLATION ONLY) (roojai.com)

There is no Maybe I AM RIGHT it is obvious you don't own any vehicle in Thailand, or do you also drive 'UNINSURED'  You do NOT have to buy any private insurance, and roojai is a private insurance company so why check on their site. Por Ror Bor is 967b a year for a 2 door pick up, actually that is on their site if you put in compulsory insurance. Just to summarize, if you drive with no road tax you have no insurance whatsoever. 

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

There is no Maybe I AM RIGHT it is obvious you don't own any vehicle in Thailand, or do you also drive 'UNINSURED'  You do NOT have to buy any private insurance, and roojai is a private insurance company so why check on their site. Por Ror Bor is 967b a year for a 2 door pick up, actually that is on their site if you put in compulsory insurance. Just to summarize, if you drive with no road tax you have no insurance whatsoever. 

Stop a minute here now. The post you quoted from me, was regarding the possibilities to insure an old car. Now you are babbling about me driving uninsured, and that it´s a compulsory insurance. Yeah, sure it is, because that´s what we are talking about here. The possibility to insure an old car.

Buy the way, I have Tokyo Marine full insurance.

Just now, Gottfrid said:

Stop a minute here now. The post you quoted from me, was regarding the possibilities to insure an old car. Now you are babbling about me driving uninsured, and that it´s a compulsory insurance. Yeah, sure it is, because that´s what we are talking about here. The possibility to insure an old car.

Buy the way, I have Tokyo Marine full insurance.

Well I had a 23 yr old NV and still got insurance, my car now is 9 yrs old and I have insurance, the same company as you. 

8 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Well I had a 23 yr old NV and still got insurance, my car now is 9 yrs old and I have insurance, the same company as you. 

Yeah, therefore I didn´t se the problem the OP is describing. Never heard that it should be impossible to insure old cars. Even veterans are possible to insure.

1 hour ago, watchcat said:

Yes I can get the compulsory insurance (wich) I have +tax, however anything above that is not worth it.

The compulsory insurance is really a waste of money as it covers so little (but you have to have it) however the very minimum insurance should be 3rd Class, just to protect your arse if you have an accident