Thailand Refuses To Sign Document Of The Swiss 'Peace' Summit

3 hours ago, BobBKK said:

You MUST BE joking.   Do you know so LITTLE about this conflict that you don't even know the Donbas majority is Russian? 

The ignorance on here is astounding... it really is.

Donbas is in Ukraine, end of.

You might need a geography lesson.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I'm sorry to disappoint you, I don’t feel stupid at all, I can’t help it if I feel it is wrong for Putin to try and steal Crimea, Luhansk & Donetsk.

I can’t help but feel it’s wrong for Putin to put half a million people in their grave, both Russians and Ukrainians.  

Did you notice the countries who didn’t sign? BRICS aligned?

The world runs on a rules based order, dictators like Putin hold themselves above the law.

Putin is no different to Hitler and what he did with Czechoslovakia in 1938.

This is the 21st century, we should be well past land grabs by now.

Russia has to return all territory stolen since 2014.

Yes, you disappoint me. Have your mask over your eyes and ears?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, JBChiangRai said:

No, it's just I hold myself to a higher moral standard than perhaps you do.

Ah, the moral knight. Fine, lot's of success fighting the dragons.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, animalmagic said:

Which horrible invaders were the Afghans defending against from 1979 to 1989?

What's that got to do with it?  USA was humiliated - girls are back in Burkas, Taliban in control - the US simply is a bully. This is not about Ukraine at all.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, VBer said:

I think that you should start from begging, no? In begging of 2014 armed people at Kyiv overthrow the elected president (elected by whole Ukraine), and put in power some guy Turchinov, who didn't have any right to have presidential power. People at Crimea voted for president (and he won by majority of voters), but some armed protestors fueled by Victroria Nuland have decided that Crimea should be ruled by some unknown guy.

OK, let's start from the beginning.

President Yanukovych came to power promising to continue the countries move towards closer ties to the EU and to move away from Russia.  In November 2013, a wave of large-scale protests known as "Euromaidan" began in response to President Yanukovych's decision not to sign a political association and free trade agreement with the European Union (EU), instead choosing closer ties to Russia. Euromaidan soon developed into the largest democratic mass movement in Europe since 1989. Earlier that year the Verkhovna Rada (Ukrainian parliament) had overwhelmingly approved finalizing the agreement; Russia had pressured Ukraine to reject it. The scope of the protests widened, with calls for the resignation of Yanukovych and the Azarov government. Protesters opposed what they saw as widespread government corruption and abuse of power, the influence of Russia and oligarchs, police brutality, human rights violations, and repressive anti-protest laws.

A large, barricaded protest camp occupied Independence Square in central Kyiv throughout the 'Maidan Uprising'. In January and February 2014, clashes between protesters and Berkut special riot police resulted in the deaths of 108 protesters and 13 police officers, and the wounding of many others. The first protesters were killed in fierce clashes with police on Hrushevsky Street on 19–22 January. Following this, protesters occupied government buildings throughout the country, and the Azarov government resigned. The deadliest clashes were on 18–20 February, which saw the most severe violence in Ukraine since it regained independence. Thousands of protesters advanced towards parliament, led by activists with shields and helmets, who were fired on by police snipers.

On 21 February, Yanukovych and the parliamentary opposition signed an agreement to bring about an interim unity government, constitutional reforms and early elections. Police abandoned central Kyiv that afternoon and the protesters took control. Yanukovych fled the city that evening. The next day, 22 February, the Ukrainian parliament voted to remove Yanukovych from office by 328 to 0 (about 73% of the parliament's 450 members). Yanukovych claimed this vote was illegal and asked Russia for help. Russian propaganda described the events as a "coup".

Then we have my post on Crimea, Luhansk & Donetsk.

The Ukrainian parliament restored the 2004 amendments to the Ukrainian constitution. An interim government, led by Arseniy Yatsenyuk, signed the EU association agreement and disbanded the Berkut. Petro Poroshenko became president after winning the 2014 presidential elections. The new government began a removal of civil servants associated with the overthrown regime. There was also widespread decommunization and de-Sovietization of the country.

Is that better?

Postcript, there is a lot of propaganda about the Maidan uprising, especially coming from Russia.  If you want to know the truth, I would urge you to watch the film Maidan (2014).  It was entirely filmed DURING the uprising and therefore it is simply truth, of course the film is unknown, probably banned, in Russia.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, BobBKK said:

You MUST BE joking.   Do you know so LITTLE about this conflict that you don't even know the Donbas majority is Russian? 

Most of those who really hate Russia (and all other countries whom their governments tell them to hate) don't know the first thing about the Ukraine's history, or Russian history, or that of the USSR, or that of Novorossiya, nor the ethnic makeup of Ukraine population or any history of the region.  Based on what they write here they read nothing longer than a newspaper article or two, and then only from an "authoritative Western newspaper which only prints the God-honest Western liberal democracy's truth."  Most likely though, they limit their understanding of history to the "news" they listen to on Western cable news or the likes of BBC. They are essentially ignorant, and willfully so. Which means they have no understanding of the basis of the conflict at all.  And it shows.

You notice that most of them can't write anything longer than a couple of sentences, most of which is name-calling or the recitation of Western MSM talking point which they are adept at reciting verbatim.  That passes as debate nowadays.

There once was a time on TV 40 to 50 years ago when debate on TV was actual, civil debate.  That all ended over the last 25 years when TV has become Entertainment-News where people just scream at each other and call each other names. So it's easy to see where the current crop of cable-news-network parroting ideologues have gotten their education from. 

It's pretty sad imho.  :sad:

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/17/2024 at 4:31 PM, Brewster67 said:

So well done to Thailand for having principles and all those other countries who were not for one minute fooled.

Thailand and having principles in the one sentence shows that you are easily fooled.

the only thing that Thailand cares about is to continue milking all those Russian tourists for every baht possible.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, BobBKK said:

But that does not mean that the same people want to be a part of Russia!

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Of course there is no hell in buddhism

You're not Buddhist I see.  Oh yes, there is a rich pantheon of Heaven, Hell, and all points in-between in Buddhist cosmetology.  Start here:

cover.thumb.jpg.16785a70616a768e9e35bf848038773a.jpg

• Confused 2

My best friends parents were from the Ukraine, they did a runner around WW2 time and my friend was born in Germany. They emigrated to Australia in the early 50's. My friends mum was a lovely old lady who used to cry telling me what she went through as a young girl. Forced prostitution, torture and starvation where the main issues as she was brought up as a Roman Catholic.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Let's put things into perspective.

There are 193 countries in the United Nations.
100 countries out of that 193 attended the Swiss "Peace" Summit.
Out of those 100 countries, only 78 signed the "peace plan."

So out of the 193 countries world-wide only 52% showed up and only 40% of the countries in the UN signed the document.  I wouldn't call that a mandate.  To put it another way, 60% ignored the sham "peace summit plan" altogether. 

At least Thailand showed up.  Then they get mocked for not signing?  They are in good company with the majority of the world.

Edited by connda
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, connda said:

Let's put things into perspective.

There are 193 countries in the United Nations.
100 countries out of that 193 attended the Swiss "Peace" Summit.
Out of those 100 countries, only 78 signed the "peace plan."

So out of the 193 countries world-wide only 52% showed up and only 40% of the countries in the UN signed the document.  I wouldn't call that a mandate.  To put it another way, 60% ignored the sham "peace summit" altogether. 

At least Thailand showed up.  Then they get mocked for not signing?  They are in good company with the majority of the world.

Don't you want peace? Don't you want Ukraine to get its territory back?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Don't you want peace? Don't you want Ukraine to get its territory back?

1. Yes
2. No. 

• Confused 3
  • Agree 1

Russia isn't going to accept the Swiss plan.
Ukraine isn't going to accept the Russian plan.

Let the chips fall where they may.

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Oh, you mean like the Afghans?  Vietnamese?  Syrians?  Iraqis?  Kosovo?  I think I'm starting to get it... you mean it depends on WHO it is?  I think I got it - thank you.

yes, basically whomever  the western politicians and media tell them to hate, they run for the pitchforks!

Edited by frank83628
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

This may not apply to LOS but it is a famous and old saying from Dante: "There is a special place reserved in hell for those who remain neutral during a moral crisis".  Of course there is no hell in buddhism but most of us getting the meaning.  Ironically China seems to think the same about Ukraine.  What if the country was not Ukraine but Taiwan? Then it would be crystal clear.

it would depend if it were backed by the US & UK, if it was then you know something is fishy..its all about oil, minerals, or recourses, but certainly not freedom and democracy for the people

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1