Thaksin Released on Bail Amid Long-Running Lese Majeste Case

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Thaksin Shinawatra, Thailand's former Prime Minister and influential Pheu Thai Party figure, was granted bail today, June 18, over a controversial lese majeste case that could drag on for years. The court set bail at 500,000 baht and confiscated his passports as part of the conditions for his release.

The lese majeste charge, or Section 112 of the Criminal Code, stems from a 2015 interview in Seoul where Thaksin allegedly implicated the monarchy in the 2006 coup that ousted him.

The 75-year-old Thaksin denies the charges, claiming he has been unfairly targeted by the 2014 coup d'etat, led by then-army chief Prayut Chan-o-cha which removed his sister, former Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

Authorities believe that Thaksin, now living with his family in Bangkok, is unlikely to flee the country again. The first court hearing is scheduled for August 19, and the legal battle could stretch over several years before any verdict is reached.

This comes after Thaksin’s return to Thailand last August, ending 17 years of self-imposed exile. He had left the country in 2008 to evade a series of charges, for which he was sentenced in absentia to eight years in prison.

Initially set for eight years of incarceration, his sentence was reduced to one year following a royal pardon. Instead of serving time in prison, however, Thaksin has been residing at Police Hospital for six months, citing critical health issues—a claim many believe to be fabricated to avoid jail time.

Meanwhile, the political landscape remains complicated. Thaksin has been accused of influencing Pheu Thai's coalition arrangement and the allocation of cabinet portfolios from his hospital bed.

Real estate tycoon Srettha Thavisin, closely linked to Yingluck, was appointed Prime Minister, raising speculation about a backdoor deal crafted by Thaksin and other established powers.

Yingluck, also in self-exile since the 2014 coup, may return to Thailand next year, with Thaksin indicating she could be present for the Songkran festival in their home province of Chiang Mai. The unfolding legal saga and its implications are sure to keep Thailand's political landscape in flux for some time.

Picture courtesy: Thai Rath

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-19

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Surprisingly unexpected 😂😂😂

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

Did somebody inspect another outcome ?

19 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

the legal battle could stretch over several years before any verdict is reached.

That's a pity ... I would have liked seeing him behind bars soon .

But the show must go on ...

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Thaksin Shinawatra is suing Thai Pakdee Party leader Warong Dechgitvigrom for claiming that Thaksin paid 2 billion baht for his bail, his lawyer Winyat Chartmontri said, and his legal team will file a lawsuit for several hundred million baht next week.

Warong posted a reply on his social media, "I am not afraid of you."

Justice Minister Tawee Sodsong commented on Warong's claims, stating "The person who made the statement must be held accountable because the justice system operates on honour and integrity. When making statements, one must have data, evidence, and facts, as it involves multiple organisations . I assure you that the justice process requires everyone to adhere to the law," 

Also as part of Thaksin's bail condition, he is barred from leaving the country without permission. Thaksin's passport must to be handed over, but since he has not used his Thai passport for a long time, he will have to obtain a new one before handing it over to the authorities.

Should be required to hand over all his passports, he has several.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The court set bail at 500,000 baht and confiscated his passports as part of the conditions for his release.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I believe that a passport remains the property of the country which issued it, and cannot be retained or confiscated by a third party or another country.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Thaksin Shinawatra, Thailand's former Prime Minister and influential Pheu Thai Party figure, was granted bail today, June 18, over a controversial lese majeste case that could drag on for years.

...Not sure if i've got enough popcorn for the duration!!

bob.

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, bob smith said:

...Not sure if i've got enough popcorn for the duration!!

bob.

Trust me folks the media will be miking this story for years to come...

A made to order news filler, with endless meaningless bla bla bla......Hold on to your seats folks for pointless news story ride to No where...

In the end he will get something like a small fine...One day of community service and a pardon....

Edited by redwood1

3 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I believe that a passport remains the property of the country which issued it, and cannot be retained or confiscated by a third party or another country.

Think that is correct. 

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

And put behind bars so he can go on a hunger strike - and hopefully end up like the young girl who jailed for virtually the same thing and recently died as a result of it. 

Shame on Thailand and shame on its corrupt legal system. 

Edited by Artisi
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

For very small pocket money he has not to flee WITH HIS PRIVATE JET out of the country in the LUXURY EXILE !!!    

like last time😒😁😁😒😒😁😁 

Edited by LudwigK

10 hours ago, webfact said:

The court set bail at 500,000 baht and confiscated his passports as part of the conditions for his release.

Which passport?  You think he only has one?  <laughs>

1 hour ago, Arkady said:

Any comment on bail for someone who spent 17 years as a fugitive from justice would be superflous.

Tony's special.  Special people get special treatment.  Tis' the way of the world I'm afraid.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, hotchilli said:

So he gets bail,  but student protesters get locked up.... Thailands justice system is disgusting

Rather like the "judicial system" in your home country, I believe.

• Confused 1