Russian Man Steals 15,000 Baht and Phone in Phuket Bar Heist

webfact

10 hours ago, webfact said:

“I would like to issue a warning to others. Don’t be reckless and leave anything behind. You cannot trust anyone, especially foreigners,” the woman remarked during her interview with the media.

Unfortunate to hear.  There's nothing to suggest that foreigners are more likely to steal things than Thais, it just gets made into a big deal when it does happen.  Sad that people are so easily swayed by biased press.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Cereal said:

I don't mean to victim blame, but who leaves their purse containing a lot of money and other valuable things within easy reach in a bar while they go out to a food stall to buy something? 

Thai people.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Perhaps you didn't understand that she said people had to be especially wary of foreigners (ie more so than with Thais) Despite there being infinitely more Thai criminals in Thailand than there are foreign criminals.

"You cannot trust anyone, especially foreigners,” the woman remarked

Have you considered it is about 70 million Thais, compared to maybe 300 000 foreigner per day in Thailand. Look at the percentage related to crime at nationality. After that we can have a talk again.

• Sad 2

The silly lady who left 15 000 B in a bag on the bar and went outside  should try and count the number of tourists that are scammed, robbed, attacked, physically hurt, run over,  murdered and raped  by Thais . I’m not excusing and tourist that commits any crime , but  I’m quite sure her 15 000B is a drop in the ocean in comparison. Like many Thais , mostly the dimmer ones, they want the tourists money but not the tourists. For sure, Thailand was a better place before mass tourism arrived , now the damage is done, deal with it.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 2

Enough is enough, impose sanctions and visum for nationals of Putinstan!:)

The amount of this corrupted ,rude and criminal puti-russians has already  reached the peak and started destroying the beautiful image of major resorts in the Kingdom..

Stop favoring putinoids, save  good  Thailand tourist image!
Support Ukraine as other 110 countries  in United Nations do.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

“I would like to issue a warning to others. Don’t be reckless and leave anything behind. You cannot trust anyone, especially foreigners,” the woman remarked during her interview with the media"..........Especially foreigners? We are a lot more likely to not get involved in illegal activity, seeing most of us living here get a decent retirement or pension, and tourists usually have enough money to get by because it's a vacation for them. . She isn't taking into account the thousands of thefts by locals daily here, along with other crime. Foreigners coming here and doing this isn't good for the rest of us for sure, but her comment makes us look like more of a problem than what goes on here daily by locals. People steal from my land all the time, and this includes vegetables, fruit and puppies. Theft has no boundaries, and more crime is always done by those that live in countries as natives than visitors...........This also........."Other users expressed fears of rising crime rates, suggesting more stringent measures for foreign visitors".............What can they do? You can\t tell if someone is a criminal unless you run his history when he arrives, which I'm sure wouldn't be an easy task, and many criminals don't have a record, especially the rich, white collar crooks that get past laws with money.I'm sure most of us who live and visit here are law abiding people who spend most of our money here, take care of women and children, and help out locals.

I don't know if that still exists in Belgium, but when I lived in Belgium one could face huge fines for leaving valuables unattended.
Police was going to parkings and stations and if your car was not closed or a window of your car was open, the car was towed away and you faced a huge fine.
Same things in stations where someone leave their bags or valuables unattended.
Police would take it to the Police station and you had to pay a huge fine to recover your items.

If the owner of the phone in this case would have left his/her phone unattended, he/she would face a huge fine.

• Confused 2

russians these days need to do many criminal things to get the money for staying in thailand so the will not get send back to the war. easiest thing to do is just send those ******* back to russia so they can be send to the illegal war where nobody is brave enough to do something about!

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, OtezFedor said:

Interesting. Why is it that when the British or the Germans or the Americans break the law, you don’t shout that they should all be expelled? After all, there are no fewer such crimes. Or do they do less illegal things?) Looks like stupid racism )

Judging your nickname and your tricky comment , you seem to be one of the putin paid trolls infesting many countries all over the world:) ..get lost! 

14 hours ago, KannikaP said:

How many people know the IEMI number of their phone? And the linked page say to dial something to find it. I guess they mean before it is lost or stolen! 555

You don’t need the IEMI number to find a phone. Simply click on “find my phone” from another device. 

17 hours ago, KannikaP said:

How many people know the IEMI number of their phone? And the linked page say to dial something to find it. I guess they mean before it is lost or stolen! 555

...any intelligence agency or law enforcement can track your every move very precisely by tracking the cell towers your phone pings before it connects. All this data is stored in the phone carrier's database and can be accessed by these agencies

and...9,000 pages of purported internal CIA documents, indicated that the spy agency had gained access to Android and Apple smartphones, Samsung SmartTVs and Internet-enabled cars using a variety of tools. 

20 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Cant they track the mobile phone? obviously not I would have thought these days everybody has a tracking app on their phones, 

I don't have one, the phone never leaves the house.

38 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Sounds like you never leave the house, Hermit

I do but I don't need a phone to leave the house unlike most of people around the globe.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Gottfrid said:
14 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Perhaps you didn't understand that she said people had to be especially wary of foreigners (ie more so than with Thais) Despite there being infinitely more Thai criminals in Thailand than there are foreign criminals.

"You cannot trust anyone, especially foreigners,” the woman remarked

Have you considered it is about 70 million Thais, compared to maybe 300 000 foreigner per day in Thailand. Look at the percentage related to crime at nationality. After that we can have a talk again.

That is exactly my point. There is a far greater chance of being robbed by a Thai than a foreigners, yet she warns especially about foreigners.

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

That is exactly my point. There is a far greater chance of being robbed by a Thai than a foreigners, yet she warns especially about foreigners.

Yes, simply because they do not want to add more problem from outside as well.

1 hour ago, watchcat said:

I don't have one, the phone never leaves the house.

yes ...   and mine always stays in the toilet so if the RTP or CIA ping it,   it'll show up in my toilet

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

She works in a bar aimed at foreigners. So for her the risk of being robbed comes mainly from foreigners.

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

Off the topic a little bit, whatever happens at foreign guy who kicked that female doctor in the back or something because she was sitting on his steps of a rental villa that he had haven’t heard anything about that lately or for that matter I haven’t heard anything about the Red Bull kid in ages 

The reporting here is aweful never any follow up due to we all know the outcome of these cases, ker ching.