English state pension

DaveBart

Hi I am due to start my English state pension in September,I was wondering if anyone has retired to Thailand and then started to claim their pension stating that they were living in Thailand,was it difficult?,what questions were you asked when registering,any help would be appreciated,many thanks for any replies 

It's an on-line system.  You need to set up a UK Government ID confirmation first .... a clever system that uses your phone and your passport linked to the UK Gov website.

Then there's a site for claiming from overseas (I forgot the link, but I just searched for it via Google).  There's also a specific phone number for claims from overseas.  They were very helpful and based in Newcastle, so no Indian call centre. 

I used Skype to call the number as you wait about 20 minutes on hold.

You need to provide a postal address .... I used my Thai address so it was clear I'd not get the annual increases.  I also have a UK address and bank account and considered using that,  but I decided not to .... but if I start to spend more time in UK I'll change the address.

I also gave my Thai bank details - but this was prior to the tax announcement, so may switch to UK bank for the higher tax free limit.

Process was not hard .... but took a lot of time online and on the phone.  I think it could done all by phone if you prefer.

Took about 7 months to get first payment.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DaveBart said:

Hi I am due to start my English state pension in September,I was wondering if anyone has retired to Thailand and then started to claim their pension stating that they were living in Thailand,was it difficult?,what questions were you asked when registering,any help would be appreciated,many thanks for any replies 

PM sent.

Easy peasy, all done in 15 mins.
It cannot be done online from abroad. You do not need to be registered with any Gov. Dept.
Phone this number  +44 (0) 191 218 7777. International Pension Centre UK
Have your N.I. number and bank details available. 

I applied in late Feb for my UK state pension beginning in early April. The first payment was made in late May.

Edited by Madgee
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 2

32 minutes ago, DaveBart said:

No, it is not a difficult process.  Call them (and hold until your turn comes around), they'll ask you straightforward questions (have your NI number ready) and then send you a very lengthy form with which to apply.  Complete it properly, send it back and they'll write to you to confirm your pension details - amount, frequency of payment and initial payment.

If you are in a position where you don't need your pension every week , I would get it

paid into an account you have in UK ,or have a relative you trust ,and get it paid into

their account , you can still let the pension people you are living in Thailand , but the

interest rate offered are much better in UK , then if Government does the tax collection

on overseas transfers , you could bring your pension in cash back here or if friend comes 

to visit ,get them to bring it , thereby  evading / avoiding tax.?

Regards Worgeordie

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, DaveBart said:

English state pension

Its the 'United Kingdom State Pension', not the 'English State Pension'.  Use the wrong terminology, especially with Government IT systems,  and you are straight on the back foot with UK Civil Servants, who collectively, have the brain cells of a mouse.  Good luck. 

• Sad 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, DaveBart said:

have you had an invite letter from them

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

If you are in a position where you don't need your pension every week , I would get it

paid into an account you have in UK ,or have a relative you trust ,and get it paid into

their account , you can still let the pension people you are living in Thailand , but the

interest rate offered are much better in UK , then if Government does the tax collection

on overseas transfers , you could bring your pension in cash back here or if friend comes 

to visit ,get them to bring it , thereby  evading / avoiding tax.?

Regards Worgeordie

Confucius said: "Life is really simple' but we insist on making it complicated'.

There is nothing simpler than getting the state pension paid four weekly directly into a Thai bank account. The exchange rate is very reasonable, around the mid market rate and there is only a very small charge for that service.

The DWP will only pay pensions into an account in the claimant's name unless there is a very good reason for using an alternative.

I get zero interest on my UK bank account, so even the miserly rate I get here in Thailand beats that!

The chances of a pension from the UK attracting any tax payments here in Thailand are, IMO just about zero, so forget it.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

21 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I get zero interest on my UK bank account, so even the miserly rate I get here in Thailand beats that!

As is the case with many UK current accounts.  But with 1 minutes effort you could transfer it (or have it paid) into a different UK account (even Wise) and earn ≈4%.  Mind you 4% of a next to nothing UK pension might not be worth the effort.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Confucius said: "Life is really simple' but we insist on making it complicated'.

There is nothing simpler than getting the state pension paid four weekly directly into a Thai bank account. The exchange rate is very reasonable, around the mid market rate and there is only a very small charge for that service.

The DWP will only pay pensions into an account in the claimant's name unless there is a very good reason for using an alternative.

The chances of a pension from the UK attracting any tax payments here in Thailand are, IMO just about zero, so forget it.

they pay my state pension into my wife's bank account in the UK

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

Its the 'United Kingdom State Pension', not the 'English State Pension'.  Use the wrong terminology, especially with Government IT systems,  and you are straight on the back foot with UK Civil Servants, who collectively, have the brain cells of a mouse.  Good luck. 

You've got some front quoting, "UK civil servant's have the brain cells of a mouse".........:huh:

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

As is the case with many UK current accounts.  But with 1 minutes effort you could transfer it (or have it paid) into a different UK account (even Wise) and earn ≈4%.  Mind you 4% of a next to nothing UK pension might not be worth the effort.

'1 minute's effort' is 1 minute more than I currently have to make getting my pension paid directly into Krungsri. As you correctly say, the interest I might make isn't worth the effort.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Madgee said:

It can be completed on the phone without any correspondence on your part. They will inform you by post about payment and due dates. I received my first payment before any confirmation letter was received! No complaints whatsoever.

Maybe they have changed their procedures since I applied for mine in 2017.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Upnotover said:

I was going to post similar. Wise is currently 4 66%, way more than I get from RBS. 

On 6/22/2024 at 12:33 PM, Kinnock said:

It's an on-line system.  You need to set up a UK Government ID confirmation first .... a clever system that uses your phone and your passport linked to the UK Gov website.

Then there's a site for claiming from overseas (I forgot the link, but I just searched for it via Google).  There's also a specific phone number for claims from overseas.  They were very helpful and based in Newcastle, so no Indian call centre. 

I used Skype to call the number as you wait about 20 minutes on hold.

You need to provide a postal address .... I used my Thai address so it was clear I'd not get the annual increases.  I also have a UK address and bank account and considered using that,  but I decided not to .... but if I start to spend more time in UK I'll change the address.

I also gave my Thai bank details - but this was prior to the tax announcement, so may switch to UK bank for the higher tax free limit.

Process was not hard .... but took a lot of time online and on the phone.  I think it could done all by phone if you prefer.

Took about 7 months to get first payment.

You mean 7 months from when? Surely not from when you turned 67 or 66 ?

18 minutes ago, Angus55 said:

You mean 7 months from when? Surely not from when you turned 67 or 66 ?

I applied 2 months before I reached 66, and it took a total 7 months to receive the first payment plus the missed payments.  

So ideally you should apply well in advance of reaching the qualifying age.

• Thumbs Up 1