Thailand Influenza Outbreak: 14 Deaths and Over 180,000 Affected

webfact

image.jpeg

The recent surge in influenza has claimed 14 lives and affected more than 180,000 individuals across the country since the beginning of the year, as reported by the Department of Disease Control (DDC).

Director-General Thongchai Keeratihatthayakorn addressed the public's concerns regarding the severity of the circulating influenza strains. While emphasizing that influenza is typically a mild respiratory infection treatable with standard medical care, he acknowledged that in some cases, it can lead to serious intercurrent infections, increasing the risk of fatal outcomes.

A dedicated team from Disease Control Office 5 in Ratchaburi is currently collaborating with local public health offices to conduct an in-depth analysis of the flu cases. A comprehensive report summarizing their findings is anticipated next week.

According to data from the Epidemiology Division, from January 1 to June 20, there have been 186,900 reported flu cases resulting in 14 deaths. The fatalities have occurred in various regions in Thailand: five in Nakhon Ratchasima, two in Nakhon Si Thammarat, and one each in Chaiyaphum, Surat Thani, Bangkok, Sukhothai, Samut Prakarn, Kalasin.

File photo courtesy: Wikipedia

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-24

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 4

11 hours ago, dinsdale said:
15 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I myself have had the flu the last week 

Off work sick .

I am now going to START wearing a mask !!!!

How do you know it was the flu? 

They have a flow test now. My niece has flu and sent me this picture

Flu Covid flow test.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1